Short Magazine Lee-Enfield

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by seaweed, Mar 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Guess what I saw yesterday? a dozen or so SMLEs. Recognised them straight away from my CCF days over half a century ago. Ours all had 1917 or so stamped under the bolt.

Guess where I saw them? The Royal Albert Hall. The 'soldiers' in the current production of Carmen were toting them about (also the same bods as 'smugglers' in Act 3). Arms drill, particularly the Order Arms, was rubbish though - obviously nobody thought to ring up the Guards and ak them to send someone along to set these chorus boys up.
  2. Would anybody in the Guards still know Rifle drill for a rifle that went out of service in 1958? (Technically earlier...)
  3. I'll bet you a nice crispy fiver that there will be somebody here on Arrse that could still teach it
  4. Oh for sure. Genereal Melchett's boys for example.
  5. I believe after the SLR went out the new drill was based on the old SMLE drill

no doubt somebody will correct me :D
  6. New drill (presumably for the SA80) based on the old SMLE drill? I believe you're really going to have to work very hard indeed to sell that one, mucker!

7. Its as near as you get,you slope arms with the SA80 same as the SMLE
    trust me,Im a pogo stick spring polishers assistant :D
  8. A couple of years ago I was involved in the production of a short film on WW1,some of the extras had genuine SMLE's(deactivated),one had superb original woodwork and I did try my best to forget to send it back to the props people,unfortunately it was spotted,shame as the wood would have fitted one of mine nicely.
  9. But if it was Carmen, presumably they were playing Spaniards and therefore . . .
  10. 1830s Spain, they were unlikely to have mag-feed rifles. It's a bit of a pedantic point, though: to the punters, one rifle looks pretty much like another. As for the arms drill: I doubt the Spanish military were all that strong in that area at the time. Don't forget the opera was written by a Frenchman; in 1875, Bizet probably thought all armies were as smart as the French.