"Short Gap Crossing System"

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by mildperil, Feb 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On the Defence Intranet homepage this morning:

"A new portable bridging system procured by Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) will help British troops on operations to more easily cross obstacles in their paths."

I'm not trying to be flippant here but surely this "Portable Bridging System" is more commonly known as a ladder, a strong version of which I would have thought is available as a "Commercial off-the-shelf solution".

Internet link

2. Yet another piece of kit for the PBI to hang on their backs!!

If it's in sections to be put together as needed how long to take it apart again, under fire maybe, to cross the 2nd ditch/wadi/short gap???

3. The Ladder, GS, which has been in service as long as the redoubtable Stetcher, GS (since the Boer War) was withdrawn from general use some time ago. This 'capability holiday', was due to shortcomings with a legacy system, brought to light following a recent TV campaign outlining the dangers of ladders in conjunction with ambulance chasers.

The new whizzy Portable Bridging System will bring new capabilities to operations, once in-theatre training has been conducted. To reduce the impact on severely restricted budgets, the Portable Bridging System will not be operated in any mode other than 'horizontal'.

4. I wonder how much it cost in procurement to actually get it in to service. If it is lightweight exactly how squaddie proof is it, and as has been stated how easy is it to deploy especially if it gets muddy, or eroded with sand after a few patrols and the bits don't fit together properly.

5. That might have been true a few years ago but surely UOR put a stop to all that nonsense?

6. Used it during trials. Thought it was shite. Too heavy unwieldy and impractical. Glad to see we've bought it.

7. What happened to the sectional dems ladders we used to have in the store (RE) they were ultra lightweight though admittedly a little cumbersome trudging about with a section strapped to your Bergan. (Cheers Lt. col DZ, you truly were an inspired f**king leader)

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

No comment on the suitability / efficiency of this kit since I wont be using it, but I do have a degree in Fluff Translation. Allow me?

portable bridging system - ladder

procured by Defence Equipment - ladders bought

Roger Pidgeon, the DE&S team's project manager – is signing this off so he gets a name-check

We received an urgent request – a lovely signed order for ladders

an ultra-lightweight and man-portable short gap crossing capability - ladder

"In the first instance we looked to deliver a commercial off-the-shelf solution, but none was immediately available on the market”. – B&Q have ladders but DE&S could check the cost online.

The bridges designed by Alpha Composites - ladders

our short gap crossing system – LADDERS. Jesus.

has received an outstanding reception by front line troops – A fight broke out over who was to carry our ladder. Honest..

bespoke design solution - ladder

working to tight timeframes – overtime over-runs for the ladders were in the budget

outstanding – nice ladder

pull-through of new technology – delivering the ladders we’ve been paid for

deliver critical equipment in a short timeframe – delivering the ladders we’ve been paid for with a “HOW MUCH?” overtime invoice.

agile, responsive, systematic approach – nice ladder

continue to assist the team – to deliver critical equipment in a short timeframe with a “HOW MUCH?” overtime invoice.

9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Don't forget the Spad Gas:

(SPOILER)

Random Reading 13

10. Ladder, crevass crossing, badly painted L1A1. Designed to carry one skinny French climber and his dog accross a rapidly melting glacier, I do wonder if it will cope with a bombed up section of infantry, one clutching Javelin in his sweaty mit and the rest in watch this ****** go mode?

11. A ladder by any other name is still a Ladder!

12. Is ABW a secret Valhalla you yearn to wordsmith in? some good potential in your last turn of phrase