Short courses

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by merlin162, Jan 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone suggest a short ie 1 week course as I have 5 days paid special leave from work to use up. Serious suggestions please guys as I've already done my underwater basket weaving and SF knitting courses when a young sprog...........

2. All Arms Recognition Instructors Course

3. The Highland Kilt repair course..............you think I jest ? Ask your chief clerk for the little book of available courses that he (or she) hides away.

4. I'm not sure if it's still offered, but I heard of a 3-day 'Endurance Training Leader' (ETL) course, which means you can take peeps out for a steady run or a tab, in lieu of a PTI.

If you haven't got it already, B+E (i.e. your trailer licence) could probably be acheived in a week.

Having seen an old Adventure Training course booklet, most of the courses are 1 week long (parachuting, gliding, skiing, mountain, diving, sailing, canoeing etc) ... so if you're at a loss for mil courses, you could start getting trained in AT.

If you're still at a loss, the ASPT offer week long courses in many sports, but also things like, personal protection and life-guarding.

However, there's probably a few good 'special-to-arm' courses dependent on your corps.

5. Does anyone know if the above course (i.e. ETL), does exist and if it's still available, as to conduct CFT you require a "suitably qualified and indate PTI?
    Or is that because CFT is a test, and if you just take the troops out "on a TAB", then this other course(if it exists) will suffice?

6. ETL is a 3 day course which can be run by a suitably qualified APTC QMSI. It qualifies NCOs & officers to take formed bodies on a steady state run or march (i.e. no other physical activities).

It does not qualify anyone to run, supervise or test CFT or any other physical test; for that you still require a PTI.

7. How does one enquire about these courses then? I have a rather long summer break and could do with filling it with courses!

P

8. The EW course at Blandford only lasts a week I think

9. So B_S,

Is the ETL course one that is delivered somewhere each year, or is it something that has to be jacked up on a one off basis?

I've searched around but can't seem to come up with any answers, although someone asked about it in 2005:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=12025.html

My boss has given me the go ahead to do it, and now I can't find it :frustrated: