Shopper Refused Service because she wore a Poppy

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by TangoZeroAlpha, Nov 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apparently this is true as a friend of mine checked it out...

A young lady went shopping today; 3rd November 2010, at SPORTSDIRECT on Boucher Crescent, Belfast. When she took her goods to the counter for payment, the sales assistant refused to serve her as she was “wearing a poppy”.

The lady requested to speak to the Manager, incredibly the Manager endorsed the sales assistant’s action and added “The Company has the right to refuse to serve any person they so wish”!!

The young lady left the store SPORTSDIRECT, acutely embarrassed. She has a close family member who served in Iraq. The telephone number for the Boucher Crescent store is 0844 332 5667, Customer Services is option 2 and Reception is option 0 (zero).

There are two other SPORTSDIRECT stores in the Belfast area, Yorkgate & Longwood at the Abbeycentre. The Company does huge internet business trading as Sportsdirect.com They have over 470 stores across Europe and take great pride in their flagship store LILLYWHITES of PICADILLY CIRCUS in London. They are quoted on the London Stock Exchange and MIKE ASHLEY, owner of Newcastle United Football Club is the major shareholder.

The Company advertises for potential employees by suggesting it is a “Great place to kick off your career” & “One’s who build a career with us share the same characteristics”. A place where you can “Thrive in a customer focused store”

No mention of prejudice, bigotry and hatred of British Armed Forces, their allies & the Royal British Legion. Perhaps in this instance their employee’s actions spoke louder than words.

Please share this e-mail with your contacts and give them the opportunity to consider if they wish to shop with such a Company.

Well - I won't be shopping there from now on!!

TZA

2. I don't believe you

3. Well who could argue in the face of such overwealming evidence.....?

4. Yes, I hear that Starbucks has refused to send coffee to some Marines as well.

I mean really, why go into Sports Direct anyway?

5. do you think this will end up like the starbucks myth.

Bugger beaten to it

6. OK by me!

I don't care!

7. I never shop at CHAVDIRECT.

8. ...Let me get my coat...

9. I can't be bothered to check it out but by my amazing psychic powers, I am able to predict that it will also happen to a store in Canada and Australia

10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Quick, I'm first..............

..........to mention that Macdonalds fund the PIRA.

What do you mean, it's a normal Personal Income Tax deduction? Foiled again!

11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I'm outraged, frankly, and will now only wear red on a Friday whilst I boycott Sports Direct, Starbucks and McDonalds.

The fact that I refuse to wear sports clothing, dislike coffee and don't eat burgers is but a happy coincidence.

12. You must stand out like a Greyhounds bolloxs in our neck of the woods :excited: You'll be lying to me that you don't eat deep-fried Mars Bars, mini-pizzas and mutton pies either.

13. Bugger, beat me to it.

OK, I'll raise you 'Marlboro support the Ku Klux Klan'.

14. Oooh nice one, orobl jews! Haha I remember that one.