Shooting

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Blasted, Jul 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of the things I miss since leaving the fold is the shooting.

So my question is, what am I allowed to do shooting wise as a civvy? My preference is long range target. What are the restrictions regarding what rifles you can own and the calibre? I’m not too fussed about clays and there is a nearby club for that already.

Are there any ranges of a reasonable distance in the midlands area?

Thanks in advance

2. You can do pretty much any target shooting you want. Otherwise you can take up deer stalking, rabbit shooting etc.

You can have pretty much any rifle you want as long as it's not a self loader, pump action or under 600mm long overall. You can have a self loader in .22rimfire though.
    You can have a long barreled pistol as long as it is over 600mm overall with a 300mm + barrel.

You will need to be a member of a club for target shooting. There are plenty to choose from. Kingsbury range near Tamworth is used by lots of Midlands clubs. Club membership will involve a probationary period and some form of training.

3. Thanks for that. I was unsure of the availability of long ranges for use by civvies. Shame i cant get a barrett 50 though.

4. Where did I say you couldn't get a Barratt 50? As long as it's not the semi auto one you can have one. Limited choice of ranges to fire it on though. Sennybridge, Warcop and Lydd are used by the Fifty calibre club.

www.FCSA.co.uk

Nice Bunch. Nice and loud! :D

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

One of my punters has got a .50 rifle. Apart from the mahoosive cost of firing it (rounds ain't cheap don'tcha know), he's got no problems.

So, like ES says, if you want to get back into shooting, there's no problem, and there's many calibres/types of weapons/shooting to choose from.

Have a word with EX-STAB, UGLY or other shooters on the subject. :)

6. Try contacting ARA at Bisley for info on Teams that you can join.
    It's an expensive hobby though!

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its as expensive as you want it to be, I was hitting V bulls at 1000 yds on stickledown 15 years ago with a P14 rebarrellled into 7.62 that cost me £70. Thats right and the Navy Palma Team practising alongside were gutted.
    I prefer to use real targets nowadays but it was target shooting as a county cadet long before I joined that got me started.
    there are many different disciplines and all can be done very cheaply or for the sum of a small nations GDP. Most clubs have club guns you can try and also use for your probation!
    Failing that take up sporting rifle and fill the freezer! :D

8. That was supposed to say NRA not ARA!

9. I wouldn't bother with the ARA/ATSC. The only full bore rifle shooting they do is TR (i.e Iron sights, slings, heavy shooting jackets etc.) and pretty much only at Bisley. Of course this might be what you had in mind but it's not very popular nowadays.

[​IMG]

Most people prefer using scoped rifles and bipods etc.

[​IMG]

Most people I shoot with do at any rate.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Even Match rifle uses glass nowadays, I cant recommend the NRA one bit!

11. Sorry guys u obviously know more about it than I - I enjoyed TR!

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I enjoyed TR but its a means to an end, accuracy through practise, the NRA saw it as the only thing and everything else was either inconvenient or paid lip service to!
    Their own fault if they dissapear in the next 10 years but I would like to see Bisley preserved for shooting!

13. This is also something I'd like to get back into. I used to do competition stuff before joining up and also tagged along to the Divisional competitions whilst in.

I've been reluctant to try because I had a bit of a go with PTSD and the rumour mill told me that I've a snowballs chance of getting a licence.

Constructive feedback wlecome.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No reason at all unless you are barred under spent convictions act from having access to firearms, you may if still on medication find it difficult to get an FAC although you can appeal!

15. Right all of you need to report to your nearest New Labour Office of Re-education. You all sound like dangerous criminals.

The only shooting I have found round my way is caly pigeon shooting, which is fun but not quie the same. I do know a lot of shooters and if its wasn't for the cost I would be well in to it. It would be nice to shoot a few things that don't come covered in green plastic for a change.