Shooting shows and event reviews

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Sep 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ok folks lets have some reviews of shooting shows all over the globe and game fairs too please, score them on live demo's displays and have a go stands and also cost to get in please. If anyone is going to Bisley live this weekend can they do a review for the forum please as I have vowed never to darken Bisley's doors again.

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

So basically what you are asking is 'has anyone been to the gun show and is it any good?'

Well here's two tickets to the next one:

[​IMG]

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Behave Ravers, why is it matelots always go gay early?

edited to add that in all seriousness I usually am at these vents and get to see so little of them. The ones I want to go to are usually on at the same time as an event I'm working at.
    its not feedback about our trade sstand as any arrser can front up and say what he wants provided he puts the kettle on. Its whether or not folks think that have had value for money and wiill they come back again?
    A weekend trade stand costs me about a months shop rent so I like to hear what folks think about each event as we have our own views!

4. CLA was massive! First time I actually needed 2 days to get round it all and was annoyed I was only there for 1. Traffic was a vast improvement from previous years! Annoyed that the live shows on some areas where very repetitive but on the whole not bad. The have a go stands where extortionately priced and will never shoot at one again! 80p per clay!!!! Gun makers row was in my opinion a bit too wide. I felt like a criketer crossing the road constantly to look at the different stands as we walked down. Overall a really good day out. No we didn't see everything but once again walked away with a couple of bargains and stuff we just don't need.

5. Ravers

Like you, I'm usually at these shows from the exhibitor's point of view so rarely get to see the good stuff.

The only country shows I've managed this year as a 'punter' have been the Lowther show which had a nice clay have a go stand and competition and is a really nice country fair and the International Sheep Dog Trials last weekend which had no gunnery related stuff at all. Shame really, I'm surprised a local gun shop didn't have a stand.

I'd recommend both shows to anyone, the beer tents alone were worth the entry fee. Be warned though, it's Cumbria, it's wet and cold and if you don't have a 4x4 you'll need to be towed out of the carpark at the end of the weekend.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I dont think anyone does a show quite like the CLA, this year was the first time we have had a stand there, they could do a lot more for the traders but compared to many shows the facilities are pretty good. Only problem is even with 3 additional volunteers we just cant get the time off to see anything.
    Belvoir Castle near Grantham next year, it should be good even if the gun dog village is away from everything else.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ravers, was the Lowther one in Mid August?
    We went but the crowds were dissapointing, we wont be going back for a few years as we worked out it cost us £200 more than we made with the distance involved from gods waiting room. We have had some success with follow on sales which is encouraging. I suspect our plan for European domination will have to wait till we have subjugated Ireland.

8. Ravers

Yep. It used to be coupled with the driving trials but it all got a bit messed up one year and the land was trashed, then the Earl died and it's only just getting back on it's feet. Watch this space though, it's only going to get bigger and better.

9. Sandringham Game fair is always a good one to go to plenty of Demos and plenty to see and do. Knebworth has been a bit of a let down in past years so didn't go this year.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sandringham is run by living heritage and they are muppets, wont do any of their events again.
    Lowther will have to wait, apart from the funny and I mean seriously funny locals the best bit was the deep fried smokey and chips in Shap on the way out at that weird chippy opposite the other pub.

11. Ravers

That's my local chippy, top scran to be had. I'm about 10 mins from Shap.

12. Shap????!! Horrid place, twinned with royston vasey!!

13. The brecon country show was a good one. There was only one tent for shooting and gundogs but the craft and country wares tents made up for it. It is definately geared towards livestock though.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Shap does have a good chippy though.

I've heard nothing good this year from traders who did the Welsh shows. That said everywhere has been grim but those we spoke to have sworn of the Welsh ones for good.

15. Ravers

It's a bit of a dump I will admit, but I live in one of the nice villages down in the valley.