Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Shooting season 2021/22

Saturday was an unpleasant day truth be told for some. No2 son was shooting and bagged a great crow but the birds were too fast on the wind for him....the syndicate voted to bin it with 2 hours left to go and a handful of drives. We went to a pond and had an hour on and a couple of mallard came in=one happy little chappy....the dogs on the other hand were suffering.

Nice pic...AYA no3 Magnum...?
AYA yeoman

Ive got a big O/U 30 odd inch barrels weighs a ton and after last season I was sick of lugging it round so thought I'd give the yeoman a go. I'm not normally a fan of SxS but it's won me over. Light and handy and I don't mind bashing it around so it's ideal for what I use it for. Plus it's double trigger which I used to think was a pain but it's well handy

AYA yeoman

Ive got a big O/U 30 odd inch barrels weighs a ton and after last season I was sick of lugging it round so thought I'd give the yeoman a go. I'm not normally a fan of SxS but it's won me over. Light and handy and I don't mind bashing it around so it's ideal for what I use it for. Plus it's double trigger which I used to think was a pain but it's well handy
Beavertail foreend and pistol grip, nice, they are strongly made! Is it 3" chamber...? I've been looking for something similar for a while(I'm even worse with an OU than a sxs :) )

Beavertail foreend and pistol grip, nice, they are strongly made! Is it 3" chamber...? I've been looking for something similar for a while(I'm even worse with an OU than a sxs :) )
Its solid as a rock. 2 3/4" chambers. My brother got 2 of them and a mixed box of about 400 decent cartridges for £200 from a game keeper on pigeon watch so I'd say go for it!

Its solid as a rock. 2 3/4" chambers. My brother got 2 of them and a mixed box of about 400 decent cartridges for £200 from a game keeper on pigeon watch so I'd say go for it!
I got a case hardened Yeoman for a bottle of Smirnoff which I thought was a bargain…. Couldn’t hit **** all with it so gave it to a mate just starting out as he gave me some nice hand made trophy shields and couldn’t afford a new gun. He still uses it on his syndicate shoot years later.

I've seen a nice single triggered matador however I used to have a single trigger XXV and it occasionally double discharged....I'm not sure I want to go that route.

I've seen a nice single triggered matador however I used to have a single trigger XXV and it occasionally double discharged....I'm not sure I want to go that route.
That's not good. I've not heard of the matador before, where do they sit in the AYA line up?

That thing of mine is double trigger which I've ways hated but once you get your head round it it's brilliant. The gun is the exact opposite of what I'd spec out for a shotgun but it's turned out the perfect gun for what I use it for.

Nice day today. 59 including 5 or 6 woodcock.

Absolutely tons around on the last drive more woodcock than pheasants. If I’m ever gonna get a left and right woodcock it’ll be on that drive in mid December.

A bit wet and windy in places but spirits were up.

That’s my last full driven day this season. I’m away skiing next weekend, then it’s Christmas and rest of the season for us is beat one stand one.
AA1CCCAE-21C1-4E78-BDC3-6F8821EB5BF8.jpeg
9C1F1D44-D93A-43F6-B08C-DE0F0740680C.jpeg
51CFA244-42DB-4648-96A9-407F245C2D94.jpeg
EA4213D4-0374-49AE-A6FD-1F227B8E387E.jpeg
ACDB54C4-2C72-4B8F-9DA4-20F838A932BD.jpeg
58F0479B-DB78-4789-9E75-6C259792AFC9.jpeg

Had a great little day in Dorset on Saturday . Though driven , it was more of an armed ramble really . We'd surround a wood or a bit of cover ( no peg numbers , you'd just line out in a way that gave everyone some shooting ) the beaters would go in and the odd pheasant , pigeon , woodcock or duck flew out .It was an absolute hoot .As soon as a shot was fired , ALL their dogs ran on , to shouts of " Come back here , you little ******* !!!! "
After a few drives with a bag of 16 various , we had drinks and nibbles at the house of one the guns before repairing to the pub to talk bollocks over a beer in front of the fire .
Fantastic .....

I had my last scheduled day on Saturday. We are a beat one, stand one syndicate and it lived up to its name for me. Out of six drives I was standing gun for 3, right flank gun and beat 2. I didn't pull the trigger as I didn't see a single shootable bird all day - not even a pigeon. Still enjoyable, but it would have been better as a pure beating day to avoid the dog getting the hump with me. Total bag for the day - 25.

Attachments

• 68605B30-BCB3-49FB-8796-E8CB8C0DBDC3.jpeg
    68605B30-BCB3-49FB-8796-E8CB8C0DBDC3.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 21
Despite it looking like a grim day we managed well with 200 shots for 31 head!
21 cock, 7 hen pheasants, 1 red leg partridge, 1 Teal, 1 woodcock and one snipe!
I only drove the game cart and I’m shattered (in a good way), everyone seemed to be on form and I’m looking forward to when I can shoot again safely!
CF40B44F-EB3B-4F69-BF7E-9FB97996F6D0.jpeg

The bag by lunch

Despite it looking like a grim day we managed well with 200 shots for 31 head!
21 cock, 7 hen pheasants, 1 red leg partridge, 1 Teal, 1 woodcock and one snipe!
I only drove the game cart and I’m shattered (in a good way), everyone seemed to be on form and I’m looking forward to when I can shoot again safely!View attachment 623983
The bag by lunch
Well done ugly
ours was a bag of 29, 1 snipe and two pigeons. A good day out. I had both dogs with me, my youngest chose not to come today and I took his dog.
so two labs, one a year old and one ten and a half. To be fair they worked very differently and gave me a good day.
good to be out.

This is turning into my best season ever

Mrs 3296 and I have very unexpectedly received an invitation to a simulated game shoot in the new year in the north of England.

It’s not something I have ever participated in before. Our host is a shooting agent and runs simulated game days professionally. Tbh it looks bloody good on his website. The invite is very generous and gracious of him and we have of course accepted.

Mrs is delighted and has booked a couple of nights in a nearby hotel for us to make a holiday break if it.

My wife and I know the hosts parther well and I have worked with her professionally over many years. I hadn’t met him before and was introduced last night as he passed through to pick up clients for a stalking trip up north. We went out to a local pub for a meal and a chat.

To put things in perspective I will shoot around a box of cartridges on a good day on my syndicates game shoot and was envisioning taking a few boxes, just to be sure, to the simulated shoot.

He told me I should bring two slabs of cartridges for myself and the Mrs. I am embarrassed to say I queried that as I was sure I had misheard. Nope, you will easily go through a slab each in the day.

I don’t go through a slab a season. This is looking like a red letter day. We are looking forward to it. I do have the two slabs ordered and will be leaving the sxs at home and taking a heavier o/u.

Anyone else done simulated game days and got any top tips so I don’t make a total knob of myself
I did 350 on a shared gun . 7 pairs that day clays came thick and fast I was picking up missed clays as I wasn't fast enough to get on them first . Mad day gun nearly lit the grass on fire when set it down.

20 birds on Sat, 14 pheasant, 2 partridge and four duck. We watched three Deer empty two drives in front of us, there was plenty that went out so we have high hopes for the next day between Xmas and the new year.
I bagged a partridge and handed over the SxS to son no2 who, having never shot one, dropped two for two who then handed it back to me. I'm not sure who was more surprised. Happy campers. Flighting was poor, I think we got there too late as we arrived to over a dozen already on the pond, I think the full moon played havoc. Is anyone seeing reasonable Teal numbers?
We certainly aren't...Woodcock yes. Hopefully the promised cold snap comes soon.

Last edited:
I had a good day locally , starting with a duck drive and then pheasant and partridge on the rest .
I used my 16 bore John Wilkes SbS , as it hadn't had an outing recently .
On the 4th drive , just before lunch , I managed 9 pheasant for 10 shots , which pleased me no end as my shooting had been rather poor 'till then .
The highlight after lunch was the last drive , three good partridges and a Canada , shot in front of both guns and beaters from quite a height .
Glad I dropped it , as Bismuth 16b is worth as much as gold , and I'd missed all the duck on the first drive