Shooting season 2021/22

My syndicate colleague swears by winkies and has been liberated of many a £ there.

I am actually interested in a pre owned Schmitt and bender Hungaria scope for a rifle no.2 son has a deposit on and we will pick up at the RFD ( not winkies) on Friday or Saturday.
i am thinking of seeing if he has any of the same or similar preowned.
I know what Edinburgh Rifle are selling them at so won’t be going much over that for it or its equivalent.
so with hands firmly in pockets to avoid temptation and being pillaged, I am tempted to visit, just to say I have been in.
If your after a Schmidt 8x56 I think I know a lad punting one cheap enough but wouldn’t spend a penny over £300 for a mint one unless it was illuminated although I got an email from Optics warehouse today and they are selling 3-12x42 variable ones for £895 just now and there’s a further discount code which I was emailed that would knock 10% off that which is not a kick in the arse off 2nd hand money.

Last edited:

jmb3296

LE
Book Reviewer
If your after a Schmidt 8x56 I think I know a lad punting one cheap enough but wouldn’t spend a penny over £300 for a mint one unless it was illuminated although I got an email from Optics warehouse today and they are selling 3-12x42 variable ones for £895 just now and there’s a further discount code which I was emailed that would knock 10% off that which is not a kick in the arse off 2nd hand money.

Very kind thank you.

I have my eye on a fixed mag one just now at just under the £300, all being well I plan to buy it for the lad and get him to fit and zero on Saturday

jmb3296

LE
Book Reviewer
My syndicate colleague swears by winkies and has been liberated of many a £ there.

I am actually interested in a pre owned Schmitt and bender Hungaria scope for a rifle no.2 son has a deposit on and we will pick up at the RFD ( not winkies) on Friday or Saturday.
i am thinking of seeing if he has any of the same or similar preowned.
I know what Edinburgh Rifle are selling them at so won’t be going much over that for it or its equivalent.
so with hands firmly in pockets to avoid temptation and being pillaged, I am tempted to visit, just to say I have been in.
Put a meopta 7x mag scope on the 243. That’s both our rifles on the same optics, The price we were offered the scope at from Edinburgh rifle was very good and they fitted it, bore scoped his rifle for him and have good service for any issues.
They are setting up DSC courses soon and he will do his DSC 1 with them

The meopta on my rifle was impressive in the poor light and wet up north. We will get his zeroed shortly.

The little bugger can shoot. He got his first deer, a sika and then another two on the trip. He enjoyed it.

So did I to be fair.

Put a meopta 7x mag scope on the 243. That’s both our rifles on the same optics, The price we were offered the scope at from Edinburgh rifle was very good and they fitted it, bore scoped his rifle for him and have good service for any issues.
They are setting up DSC courses soon and he will do his DSC 1 with them

The meopta on my rifle was impressive in the poor light and wet up north. We will get his zeroed shortly.

The little bugger can shoot. He got his first deer, a sika and then another two on the trip. He enjoyed it.

So did I to be fair.
Do you and the lad have any stalking around Edinburgh?

jmb3296

LE
Book Reviewer
Do you and the lad have any stalking around Edinburgh?
No.

I used to have some near the airport but the site is now a tourist destination and not shootable.

No 1 son has access to some farmland on the west side where he does pest control and can take the odd Roe

Down in Dorset at the moment in the Dorchester area, saw at least 6 Sika calves and hinds beside the road after vehicle/sika interface - also saw a load of melanistic pheasants too. Last time I saw those in any number was in the Anglesey/Menai Straits area. Birds bred to fligh Very fast and high, they took off like rockets.

Would have checked out the roadkill for degree of decomposition had it not been for the presence of aged step-mother who deserves to have become roadkill herself for a very, very, long time.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Alan Paine currently have a Cyber Monday deal on.

Worth a look.

We are shooting for the first time in 2 years and a week before storm arwen brought down 50 trees and wrecked a few of the pens, we are literally crossing fingers that the birds are still there...:confused:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We are shooting for the first time in 2 years and a week before storm arwen brought down 50 trees and wrecked a few of the pens, we are literally crossing fingers that the birds are still there...:confused:
This time of year they’ll be fairly well ensconced there. Even once the pen is gone, they’re likely to return to familiar ground.

As long as you keep feeding them, they’ll come back.

We’ve had similar experiences over the years with pens getting wrecked in storms. Doesn’t really make much difference, unless you have a fox problem.

This time of year they’ll be fairly well ensconced there. Even once the pen is gone, they’re likely to return to familiar ground.

We’ve had similar experiences over the years with pens getting wrecked in storms. Doesn’t really make much difference, unless you have a fox problem.
Good to hear, no fox problem luckily...looking forward to it now, thanks

I remember beating on a low ground pheasant shoot years ago and there was an area of, ahem, mature wind blown timber which happed to be towards the centre of the wood about 25m from the forestry edge.

When suitable number of stops were put in and steady dogs used to work the fallen timber the birds lifting and clearing the trees towards the guns were very good so it can work in your favour.

The place was lamped heavily and there were wires everywhere which had to be lifted before any shoot days as the birds were content there but predation from foxes was the biggest issue however they weren’t really bothered by raptors due to the amount of timber above them as cover from aerial attack.

jmb3296

LE
Book Reviewer
This is turning into my best season ever

Mrs 3296 and I have very unexpectedly received an invitation to a simulated game shoot in the new year in the north of England.

It’s not something I have ever participated in before. Our host is a shooting agent and runs simulated game days professionally. Tbh it looks bloody good on his website. The invite is very generous and gracious of him and we have of course accepted.

Mrs is delighted and has booked a couple of nights in a nearby hotel for us to make a holiday break if it.

My wife and I know the hosts parther well and I have worked with her professionally over many years. I hadn’t met him before and was introduced last night as he passed through to pick up clients for a stalking trip up north. We went out to a local pub for a meal and a chat.

To put things in perspective I will shoot around a box of cartridges on a good day on my syndicates game shoot and was envisioning taking a few boxes, just to be sure, to the simulated shoot.

He told me I should bring two slabs of cartridges for myself and the Mrs. I am embarrassed to say I queried that as I was sure I had misheard. Nope, you will easily go through a slab each in the day.

I don’t go through a slab a season. This is looking like a red letter day. We are looking forward to it. I do have the two slabs ordered and will be leaving the sxs at home and taking a heavier o/u.

Anyone else done simulated game days and got any top tips so I don’t make a total knob of myself

This is turning into my best season ever

Mrs 3296 and I have very unexpectedly received an invitation to a simulated game shoot in the new year in the north of England.

It’s not something I have ever participated in before. Our host is a shooting agent and runs simulated game days professionally. Tbh it looks bloody good on his website. The invite is very generous and gracious of him and we have of course accepted.

Mrs is delighted and has booked a couple of nights in a nearby hotel for us to make a holiday break if it.

My wife and I know the hosts parther well and I have worked with her professionally over many years. I hadn’t met him before and was introduced last night as he passed through to pick up clients for a stalking trip up north. We went out to a local pub for a meal and a chat.

To put things in perspective I will shoot around a box of cartridges on a good day on my syndicates game shoot and was envisioning taking a few boxes, just to be sure, to the simulated shoot.

He told me I should bring two slabs of cartridges for myself and the Mrs. I am embarrassed to say I queried that as I was sure I had misheard. Nope, you will easily go through a slab each in the day.

I don’t go through a slab a season. This is looking like a red letter day. We are looking forward to it. I do have the two slabs ordered and will be leaving the sxs at home and taking a heavier o/u.

Anyone else done simulated game days and got any top tips so I don’t make a total knob of myself
The one I was invited to was excellent and was run as per a proper shoot day.

He’s not joking regarding the quantities of cartridges as we went through a shit load of squibs, on one drive I was on the end peg and had to wander over to my truck for another slab midway through.

One of the blokes ended up borrowing a gun off the host as his new shotgun (some Turkish OU) shat itself mid drive and the safety/selector came flying out. I obviously helped him out by sliding a bit to the left to have a pop at his clays helping myself to his cartridges as well :grin:.

In all honesty they were coming so thick and fast at times you could have double gunned. My shoulder was black and blue at the end of the day and whilst I’ve had busy days on decoys and clay comps in the past I’m not ashamed to say that by the last drive I could feel it in the shoulder and started being more choosy in what I shot at, as did a few others.

Take plenty cartridges, a shoulder protector if you have should you start to feel it and a spare gun…… just in case.

jmb3296

LE
Book Reviewer
The one I was invited to was excellent and was run as per a proper shoot day.

He’s not joking regarding the quantities of cartridges as we went through a shit load of squibs, on one drive I was on the end peg and had to wander over to my truck for another slab midway through.

One of the blokes ended up borrowing a gun off the host as his new shotgun (some Turkish OU) shat itself mid drive and the safety/selector came flying out. I obviously helped him out by sliding a bit to the left to have a pop at his clays helping myself to his cartridges as well :grin:.

In all honesty they were coming so thick and fast at times you could have double gunned. My shoulder was black and blue at the end of the day and whilst I’ve had busy days on decoys and clay comps in the past I’m not ashamed to say that by the last drive I could feel it in the shoulder and started being more choosy in what I shot at, as did a few others.

Take plenty cartridges, a shoulder protector if you have should you start to feel it and a spare gun…… just in case.

Thank you that is really helpful.

I will be leaving the sxs at home and taking a heavier o/u ( albeit Turkish it has stood up to about five seasons but never the volume it will experience here) the tip about a spare gun is noted and will be complied with.

I thank you

Thank you that is really helpful.

I will be leaving the sxs at home and taking a heavier o/u ( albeit Turkish it has stood up to about five seasons but never the volume it will experience here) the tip about a spare gun is noted and will be complied with.

I thank you
You’ll have a great day. I’d suggest, if you haven’t already thought of it, to get a slab of light clay loads, particularly for the missus, 21g or 28g #9 as I just used what I always do 32g #6 and it wasn’t pleasant on the shoulder come late afternoon!!

It’s one of those things, you know you shouldn’t shoot at everything, but try to anyway as it’s such a good craic.

jmb3296

LE
Book Reviewer
You’ll have a great day. I’d suggest, if you haven’t already thought of it, to get a slab of light clay loads, particularly for the missus, 21g or 28g #9 as I just used what I always do 32g #6 and it wasn’t pleasant on the shoulder come late afternoon!!

It’s one of those things, you know you shouldn’t shoot at everything, but try to anyway as it’s such a good craic.
Agree with all of the above, my usual load is 32g fives or sixes. The slabs for this on order are 24g seven and a half’s, I couldn’t get the recommended 21g loads.

the missus can use the spare gun, which is a lighter 12 bore o/u than my intentionally heavier o/u. The host has already offered her his partners gun which has a butt shaped to be more comfortable for their respective womanly forms.

the hosts guidance was if you can safely hit it, take it, I always do especially if someone else thinks it’s theirs. That’s rules I understand, looking like a very good day already

Agree with all of the above, my usual load is 32g fives or sixes. The slabs for this on order are 24g seven and a half’s, I couldn’t get the recommended 21g loads.

the missus can use the spare gun, which is a lighter 12 bore o/u than my intentionally heavier o/u. The host has already offered her his partners gun which has a butt shaped to be more comfortable for their respective womanly forms.

the hosts guidance was if you can safely hit it, take it, I always do especially if someone else thinks it’s theirs. That’s rules I understand, looking like a very good day already
You’ll have a blast!!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just remember clays have stopped accelerating and are slowing down when you hit them, while birds are usually doing the opposite, or at least travelling at a steady speed.

Slightly different amounts of lead required but you’ll get your eye in very quickly.

Nothing else really to add to the excellent advice already offered. It’s a good opportunity to use up any old random cartridges you have knocking about. Otherwise treat it as a normal game day with appropriate etiquette and safety, bottle of something nice for the host etc.

Shoulder pads though?

Behave.

Shoulder pads though?

Behave.
I didn’t have and still don’t but am not ashamed to say my shoulder was in ******* clip by the end of the day so thought it might be a good suggestion ^^.

It’s just a shame that I couldn’t use my single barrelled ‘finest Italian Sporter’ as wouldn’t have felt a thing with game loads :twisted:.

Latest Threads