Shooting season 2021/22

ugly

LE
After gentle prompting here it is!
We have planned a full season and built a new release pen but I will only be driving the game cart if anything this year! Medical advice will be heeded for once

jmb3296

War Hero
Good to hear you are having a season, getting out and heeding medical advice

I am sure your syndicate will benefit from your presence, wit and wisdom

Whether they want to or not

Tubbs_1966

Clanker
After gentle prompting here it is!
We have planned a full season and built a new release pen but I will only be driving the game cart if anything this year! Medical advice will be heeded for once
We you be gracing ragley hall with your presence or does medical advice say it’s too much?

ugly

LE
I visited the farm yesterday and saw the new release pen. I’m impressed with the work that the syndicate have put in

Attachments

• 32C12C53-D057-47D0-8A32-6DA423E8E368.jpeg
    32C12C53-D057-47D0-8A32-6DA423E8E368.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • D9E19FE6-5F58-4035-ABF6-D047A042B328.jpeg
    D9E19FE6-5F58-4035-ABF6-D047A042B328.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
Fingers crossed this year is better than the last one.

ETA, for many reasons, including non-shooting ones @ugly

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Poult feed collected yesterday but this morning’s delivery of birds put off a week due to thunderstorm hitting us at the moment

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Our poults were delivered last weekend. All looking healthy.

All my weekends currently seem to be full of Navy shit so I’m not getting out and about as much as I’d hope.

Among the other guns and our keeper, we’re in good hands though.

This year is shaping up to be a busy one so I envisage I’ll be giving a few days away to mates this year.

jmb3296

War Hero
Spent the summer preparing pens and cleaning the drinking systems.
pellets for the poults arrived this week.
several tonnes of low quality barley the week before we have put out to the flight ponds.
my son and his mate had a brainwave and he and his mate bought and released 90 ducks spread between two flight ponds scoffing the barley. It’s an experiment for this year and we will see how it goes.
out today filling our dispersed water tanks and cutting paths.
poults coming in a week or two.

jmb3296

War Hero
Oh and most importantly.
my old 14 year old spaniel came to the ducks with me in October and had to be put to sleep in November.
his ashes are under a tree in the wood next to the pheasant pen he loved to work.
This lab was born in November and joined me in January.
proof of the old adage labs are born half trained, spaniels die half trained.
His training is aided considerably by the fact he just wants to be with you and loves to carry things.
we introduced him to shotgun noise and dummy gradually on Thursday.
went very well.
039C1E1B-7FBC-43BE-A3D4-02FFA6258E70.jpeg

Oh and most importantly.
my old 14 year old spaniel came to the ducks with me in October and had to be put to sleep in November.
his ashes are under a tree in the wood next to the pheasant pen he loved to work.
This lab was born in November and joined me in January.
proof of the old adage labs are born half trained, spaniels die half trained.
His training is aided considerably by the fact he just wants to be with you and loves to carry things.
we introduced him to shotgun noise and dummy gradually on Thursday.
went very well.
View attachment 591183
That’s a Bonny heid on your lab. Too many of them have no real forehead and too thin a face nowadays for my liking.

jmb3296

War Hero
That’s a Bonny heid on your lab. Too many of them have no real forehead and too thin a face nowadays for my liking.
Thank you. like you I prefer the broader look of a traditional lab head than looking too thin in the face.
he is big strong lad and will fill out nicely. he Is still quite rangy and gangly but
is still a pup yet. I want a dog to be steady at peg, Not run in on the beating line, sit in a butt and go into the pond at the ducks and be strong enough to cope with the estuary mud on the foreshore.
most of all I need him to want to be with me, enjoy the above and not cause to many problems in the house.
that’s more than enough, i am looking for a jack of all trades and not a potential field trial champion.
i don’t trial my dogs so I don’t need the lean lithe hot dog types coming out of trialling that aren’t jack of all trades.
sp far he has got the makings, which is just as well as he is staying.

Tubbs_1966

Clanker
Our poults were delivered last weekend. All looking healthy.

All my weekends currently seem to be full of Navy shit so I’m not getting out and about as much as I’d hope.

Among the other guns and our keeper, we’re in good hands though.

This year is shaping up to be a busy one so I envisage I’ll be giving a few days away to mates this year.
I’ve never been on a game day I’m a pest controller at heart so I’ll happily buy one for the experience :)

jmb3296

War Hero
82F69650-2C5D-41B5-B108-85D8F60E6149.jpeg
Out today finishing preparations at the pen before the poults come tomorrow and then took the pup pigeon decoying to familiarise him to the gun.
no 2 son was shooting in the field for a bit beforehand while we were working nearby to give him a gentle introduction to shotgun noise.
I didn’t hit a single pigeon but on the plus side there is nothing he likes better than sitting in a hedgerow with me and the gun doesn’t phase him at all.
He is turning out well.

Latest Threads