Shooting season 2019/2020

4(T)

LE
Badgers destroyed an entire maize cover , so we have electrified the rest , pheasants started to develop adult plumage and most partridges now out of their pens , we release them a dozen at a time , so they don't form one huge covey . The neighboring estate have put down over 20,000 birds , so hopefully some will come our way , too . First day on 2nd November !

I've just seen about 30 standing in a huddle in a lay-by near here (East Surrey). Looks like they are hoping for someone to feed them.

ugly

LE
I've just seen about 30 standing in a huddle in a lay-by near here (East Surrey). Looks like they are hoping for someone to feed them.
Pheasants or badgers?

ugly

LE
Badgers destroyed an entire maize cover , so we have electrified the rest , pheasants started to develop adult plumage and most partridges now out of their pens , we release them a dozen at a time , so they don't form one huge covey . The neighboring estate have put down over 20,000 birds , so hopefully some will come our way , too . First day on 2nd November !
Sheep seem to be the biggest problem in my cover crop. I was forever chasing them out through the leccy fences. The Shepherd moved them a few fields on but the Roe love the sorghum for bedding down and eat the maize when the cobs grow. Luckily they have been slow in growing and where the summer harvest of oil seed was taken big 10 m wide strips have self seeded and regrown meaning failed cover crop is less of an issue than previous years as we know how to get the best from strips of shin deep crops provided I can keep the younger beaters from flattening it out!

ugly

LE
Partridges are a rarity here, we have managed to support an annually increasing covey despite shooting or pegging a few each season.
The guns get lectured by one of the RSPB moles amongst the beaters about how endangered certain birds are. I just tell them that the Colonels rules on bags per peg apply and those exceeding it will be spoken too and made to walk for a few drives as punishment.

After the black armbands of last week (she is now buried in the garden - that's the labrador not my wife!) the sitrep on our first day out was a very respectable 82. That was made up of 76 partridges, 2 pricked pheasants - those spaniels! and a couple of pigeons. The weather was hairy and the wind was up and those partridges flew like bullets.
Out again tomorrow, don't see much change with the weather as dear Lorenzo is en route!

ugly

LE
After the black armbands of last week (she is now buried in the garden - that's the labrador not my wife!) the sitrep on our first day out was a very respectable 82. That was made up of 76 partridges, 2 pricked pheasants - those spaniels! and a couple of pigeons. The weather was hairy and the wind was up and those partridges flew like bullets.
Out again tomorrow, don't see much change with the weather as dear Lorenzo is en route!
Shooting in a storm shows character, oh an lunacy.

ugly

LE
Managed to get my trainee to use the quad today instead of the farm landy, then after we finished I showed him how to cut beaters paths through brambles using quad and trailer. He wasn't keen on doing that!

ugly

LE
Syndicate clay shoot went well today, all the guns bar one or two attended but numbers were made up by guests and kids. Some great shooting today and the shoot treasurer managed to clear all three stands.
I couldn't shoot anything with a decent load and was stuck with two inch cartridges from a single barrelled .410 but still managed to get 24 out of 30 so am reasonably happy. The trick will be in future to run more than one stand at a time.
The kids all had a go and started on the 9mm rimfire garden gun and .410 on a bunch of clays hanging from a string line. Sadly 0A' s washing line pegs didn't make it home!
Best of all the Colonel seemed happy!

ugly

LE
We saw three young Roebucks as we left the farm yesterday, two were over a year old with antlers and one had no antlers must have been a yearling but had the same rump pattern as the bucks. No pics as they weren't hanging around but unusual to see two bucks together let alone a third. These are not herding deer but family grouping deer.

Last edited:
This sort of ignorance is sadly going to spread to other Local Authorities who live in a urban bubble with a total disconnect to the country and it's rural economy -very concerning! .

A council spokesperson said in a statement: "“This Council declares its complete opposition to any form of hunting live animals with hounds or shooting live game, in the UK or overseas. We note that this is barbaric in all cases, and in many cases also threatens species that are already precarious."

hicky

Old-Salt
There's a lot of widlfowling and shoots around the Wirral, I think the shooting of people is something they should concentrate on a little more in their neck of the woods.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Interesting one....

We had our first day last Saturday. I couldn’t make it but sent our farm manager in my place.

It’s not a real driven day, just a ratch about on the edges of the estate, more to drive the birds back into the middle than to shoot anything.

While going through one of our less trodden patches of woods, the lads found 3 of our feeders, freshly topped up

It appears that someone is trespassing in our woods, nicking our feeders, and trying to entice our birds in there.

The thing is, there isn’t even a shoot that neighbours that part of the estate.

All very odd.

I’ve spoken to the neighbouring farms to see if they have any idea about it and they’re none the wiser.

We’re gonna stick some trail cams in there to see what’s going on.

Interesting one....

We had our first day last Saturday. I couldn’t make it but sent our farm manager in my place.

It’s not a real driven day, just a ratch about on the edges of the estate, more to drive the birds back into the middle than to shoot anything.

While going through one of our less trodden patches of woods, the lads found 3 of our feeders, freshly topped up

It appears that someone is trespassing in our woods, nicking our feeders, and trying to entice our birds in there.

The thing is, there isn’t even a shoot that neighbours that part of the estate.

All very odd.

I’ve spoken to the neighbouring farms to see if they have any idea about it and they’re none the wiser.

We’re gonna stick some trail cams in there to see what’s going on.
Sabs?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Unlikely, seems a bit sophisticated and subtle for sabs.

I reckon someone nearby found a patch of what appeared to be unused woods and has tried to claim it as their own.

Although it still makes no sense. To shoot these woods, you’d have to stand in fields that are ours on one side, or our neighbour’s on the other.

ugly

LE
Have you asked around the shoot? I often move feeders around prior to the start of the season. I have hopefully created the feedlines for the birds from pens to drives and then concentrate the feeders around the drives.

Latest Threads