Shooting season 2019/2020

ugly

LE
Ive been neglecting the shoot for a week, hopefully tomorrow afternoon I will get into the barn again. I have a couple of hundred meters of sewelling to make, a big 1 ton sack of weeds to take over to one of the pens and various other jobs to start on!

We've picked up some cocks to spread about the place and put a Michigan in with a Reeves hen....eggs have already been put under broody hens, lets see what comes of that.
Wind breaks and extra shelters have gone up round pens as we lost quite a lot of our partridge to a bout of crap weather last year. The ground has been power harrowed and sprayed off for the maize to go in and another 200 trees planted.....I'm not sure how many will survive as its next a sprayed off area.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Workday today.

Putting in a big 300 bird pen to make a new drive.

Making the boy earn his pocket money.

FC04AAA3-7557-429D-9395-02E9895D5E39.jpeg
453E414C-F064-4091-BE76-4F3B2D6C62C5.jpeg
639CE316-C629-457A-B410-265C9C1246B1.jpeg
0E196A7C-9A20-4760-8F99-5D151D31732E.jpeg
DC27112E-79A3-4CF9-A5D0-126F36C2B3AC.jpeg
3948AD89-0858-4F90-B99D-5455752E85CC.jpeg

ugly

LE
The floor looks typically barren for a fir wood, are you going to cut some brash and fell a few trees to let some light in?

ugly

LE
Yesterday saw us jetwashing the feeders and waterers clean, interrupted by rain showers so a bit more sewelling was done. Nearly fitted up 200 yards of the stuff. Its going to be stored in an old feeder to stop it tangling, it should work like a climbers rope bag, it doesn't half weigh some though!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The floor looks typically barren for a fir wood, are you going to cut some brash and fell a few trees to let some light in?
Nah. That’s how all our woods are up here. Seems to work.

Also looks worse because we’ve cleared the floor around the fence area.

ugly

LE
I suppose the dense tree cover provides a level of security from flying predators and the birds wander fairly easily onto the cover strips.

A friend in Jockland has woods like that but the owner won't let him thin the trees out so he's had to feed on rides rather than feeders to keep them around and occupied as its very sparse under the trees.

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just to clarify regarding cover.

This pen is about half the size of a footy pitch. It looks quite clear from the edges where we’ve put fencing but there is plenty of cover in the middle. There are a few felled trees in there and dens we’ve built, plus plenty of piles of brush and sticks etc.

ugly

LE
Just finished cleaning the last of the feeders and waterers, good sunny weather, farmer has promised me some round up for the spraying off the fencing and we managed to tidy up some of a of large trees that have come down onto the end of a drive, a big oak battered by another bid hardwood tree. It took 90 minutes to clear through the tangle of branches just to clear a path. Still some good firewood to be had.

Out with my youngest (21 years old and taller than me now) to start tidying up our pheasant pen.
Cut out and replaced the posts with rotted bases. Cut back some of the paths and then took the drinkers and feeders to be pressure washed.
The shoot captain was there and is content to act as a refereefor the youngests shotgun certificate. (he has seen him shooting under supervision since he was eight and is happy with him)
I started him carrying an unloaded air rifle, 410 and then he started shooting with a 20 bore before shooting a 12 bore for the past 7 years.
He is safe and the syndicate are happy with him
Will stop off later and get the shotgun cert application form.

ugly

LE
Off out in a minute, back from work lunch then a quick trip to the farm, swap batteries over on charge and finish the never ending drum of sewelling off. Oh and recover the last of my firewood.
After that spend some time putting an ammo order together with my oppo in business.

Second work party with good attendance and santas little helpers gohpering on the quads for materials.
Pens cover trimmed/repairs and nets put on. Another pen made for spare birds and in case we're offered ex layers on the cheap.
Largest pen is now setup and a training pen for sharpening the dogs on the whistle and keeping them a little active.
The cover crops are power harrowed ready for seeding and a huge tower erected to raise an IBC tank to supply water for two pens and for foxing.

ugly

LE
Just got back from walking the dogs on the farm, an interesting sight to see as I drove up;
We swapped over to the farm SWB and off we went;
IMG-20190525-00935.jpg

Followed up with some serious dog walking;
And to top it off a little chrono testing of some .222 hand loads, mainly 40 and 50 grain stuff all going just over 3000 fps so ok for Roe and Muntjac just clearing the 1000 ftlb limit. I may keep them for fox though and use my .22-250 for Muntjac instead.

ugly

LE
Been out since the farm texted me to say more roundup was available!
Last time the pack sprayer leaked everywhere but I've found all the missing grommets and washers and its go for four pens on one fill now. The last keeper practised scorch earth or rather drenched fence line and I've done it twice so far and some of the bits are nicely clear now!
I also had time to test my .22-250 loads: 40 grain v max doing 4259 fps, 50 grain V max doing 3937 fps and the 52 bthp was slow by comparison only managing 3721 fps. No hope for anything that gets in the way of that lot!
Glorious day but as I've sprayed all of the paths and the patio I'm keeping the dogs inside for a couple of hours!

ugly

LE
It seems that those loads are developing between 1600 and 1750 foot pounds, no wonder the Irish used to shoot Sika with that cartridge!

Early morning phone call from no. 1 son today.
He culled two roe bucks yesterday evening and do I want any venison
Whilst the obvious answer is yes it always benefits to probe a little deeper with him.
The cactual question he didn’t ask was Would I butcher both carcasses at my place in exchange for a little venison.
The answer is still yes but the price is 50 per cent.
He’s not a bad lad.

ugly

LE
Be aware the ticks are in full flood now, sheep down here have been sheared and the deer are thick in the high crops so ticks are abundant. This one was found on the floor by 0A after I took the dogs out this morning:
DSCN0167.JPG

I suspect its full so dropped off. Its in the jar with the others to desiccate, big fat blood filled bastard!

Be aware the ticks are in full flood now, sheep down here have been sheared and the deer are thick in the high crops so ticks are abundant. This one was found on the floor by 0A after I took the dogs out this morning:
View attachment 396526
I suspect its full so dropped off. Its in the jar with the others to desiccate, big fat blood filled bastard!
Fcuk , possibly the most scary creature you`ll ever come across in the UK.

ugly

LE
Lymes disease is no joke, I'm still waiting for Porton Downs test results on our ticks and deer blood samples for Tick Borne encephalitis!