Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shooting season 2019/2020

hicky

Old-Salt
The second day out for us. I've only took a half gun due to being so busy, I've let my lad shoot the peg.
This was his first bird of the season taken at a very respectable height however the wind wasn't kind for a newbie so he struggled afterwards.
Throughout the day he learned more and more, on the last drive I just stood behind, watched and needed to say nothing with him leaving a few saying they're unsafe due to neighbours...huge happy dad moment. Oh and the idiot cocker didn't do his own thing for once on the peg.

Attachments

• alfnduckb.jpg
    alfnduckb.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • spinney.jpeg
    spinney.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
I was in no way attempting to make light of your current state and wish you all the best.

as a mod though, is it worthwhile either having a sticky or a new thread for this year?

Quick 'hypothetical' question. If say a pair of rather nice premier English shotguns came to light as a result of a country house clearance. I would suggest they would not be on license, and possibly not seen since the late 40s.
So what would the collective wisdom of arrse suggest, to prevent them from being cut up by the boys in blue as they are not on anyone's ticket!

HE117

LE
Quick 'hypothetical' question. If say a pair of rather nice premier English shotguns came to light as a result of a country house clearance. I would suggest they would not be on license, and possibly not seen since the late 40s.
So what would the collective wisdom of arrse suggest, to prevent them from being cut up by the boys in blue as they are not on anyone's ticket!
An RFD can take possession and then transfer them on the instruction of the seller.. no need to involve Plod. At the end of the day, the firearms are private property, and there is no grounds for the police to seize and destroy provided that steps are taken to place them within the licencing system. If the owners wish to surrender the firearms to the Police, then they will take them, however they would be stupid to do so...

There is no real difference between this and the disposal of firearms on the death of the owner.

An RFD can take possession and then transfer them on the instruction of the seller.. no need to involve Plod. At the end of the day, the firearms are private property, and there is no grounds for the police to seize and destroy provided that steps are taken to place them within the licencing system. If the owners wish to surrender the firearms to the Police, then they will take them, however they would be stupid to do so...

There is no real difference between this and the disposal of firearms on the death of the owner.
Very useful and really appreciate the answer. As a thick Infanteer, what pray is RFD?

ugly

LE
I was in no way attempting to make light of your current state and wish you all the best.

as a mod though, is it worthwhile either having a sticky or a new thread for this year?
Apologies I thought we had

HE117

LE
Just back from our first (..and possibly last..?) shoot of the season..

A somewhat abbreviated affair with only three drives followed by a walkup.. We were asked to be discriminating regarding the birds we took and to apply restraint as only a limited number of birds were released..

Despite the rain a howling gales, we had an excellent morning with some really challenging birds.. We thought the birds that were around were in excellent condition, and may be a point for consideration next year!

hicky

Old-Salt
There's a relatively strong argument to moving the shooting calendar forward a month for pheasants. We ask for restraint unless its a challenging bird but some guns are happy to have a it flies, it dies manner.

When I was a young probationer part of the job still involved working on the front counter dealing with whatever came in. I remember a couple coming in to surrender some shotguns after a relative had died. No one else in the family was interested in getting ticketed to keep them. They weren't anything really special, no Purdey's, but collectively were worth several thousand pounds. I explained this, and explained that we would just cut them up, but a RFD could turn them into money. They weren't interested and wanted rid of the guns. Broke my heart.

The shoot I beat on are having our first day tomorrow. The boss wants an early start......eight(!) drives.......walking between drives.......food on the hoof. I think I will get my steps in tomorrow.

The shoot I beat on are having our first day tomorrow. The boss wants an early start......eight(!) drives.......walking between drives.......food on the hoof. I think I will get my steps in tomorrow.
First and last day if you are in England :(

Latest Threads