Shooting season 2019/2020

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just got home from the pub.

Phenomenal day.

90 for 8 guns.

I have to say I was shooting a lot better with the over and under.

Dog worked very well. There were a few pickers up but none of the other guns had dogs so she got plenty of work.

On one of the drivethere was a random pig running around. Completely tame, I could’ve had the thing sat on the peg with me and the dog.

We took some of the bag to the pub and the chefs knocked us up a feast.

Roast woodcock, roast duck and roast venison haunch.

Amazing.

ugly

LE
A good day today weather wise although the birds seemed thin on the ground. 158 shots for 17 birds is just poor shooting really!
As long as they have enjoyed themselves! The mornings bag below:
IMG_0241.JPG

The days total less one that appeared from a game bag after we had divvied the bag up:

IMG_0242.JPG

marty870

War Hero
A good day today weather wise although the birds seemed thin on the ground. 158 shots for 17 birds is just poor shooting really!
As long as they have enjoyed themselves! The mornings bag below:
View attachment 434038
The days total less one that appeared from a game bag after we had divvied the bag up:

View attachment 434039
Weather wise it wasn't too bad. Not as cold as forecast but still frosty all day.

dog were having to work hard to get the birds to fly, buggers were sitting really tight. The older Spinone went on point and it took him nearly five minutes to flush the cock bird, I managed to connect with the second shot.

The total bag was 21 Pheasant, 2 Mallard and 2 Wood pigeon.

We got another 6 Mallard on the flight pond. With no wind the ducks were able to come in low which made them very hard to see.
IMG_20191130_095303.jpg
IMG_20191130_095309.jpg

ugly

LE
Great to see Spinone working

marty870

War Hero
Great to see Spinone working
It certainly is, mainly because they love to do it. My two were on the go all day, as we were walking back to the cars they were still checking out the undergrowth.

According to my smartphone I did 17km the dogs must have done 40-50 and were still keen.

I think the main reason there aren't more working Spins is the price of them, they're twice the price of a good Lab or Spaniel, most shooters can't justify spending so much on an unknown quantity.

ugly

LE
I’ve only seen four or five and only one that worked regularly

ugly

LE
A great afternoon topping feeders, it’s only been five days and some are empty already, this current cold weather is certainly emptying the grain trailer!
Took the Sako 85 out today in 22-250 loaded with 40 grain vlds moly coated and at 4400 FPS it certainly does for magpies! A puff of black and white feathers and a giggle from me
30AE95B4-9450-4344-8467-37F85D297C58.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Great day today.

Modest bag of 43 including 5 woodcock. I seemed to always be on the right peg though. Shooting much better with the OU. Everything coming down with the first barrel, only birds I missed today were ones that my neighbours had already had a go at and two woodcock which were jinking all over the place.

Dog worked well, although she messed up one retrieve. A bird came down at the very end of the line, a good 300 metres away. I usually wouldn‘t send her that far, but she’d marked the bird and it was easy open ground, so I though why not?

She got about 3/4 of the way there and then decided to come back. Not sure what that was all about. Maybe she just freaked out because she was so far away?

Still waiting on my sister’s phots from last week, but here are a few from today.

A1A6CCC0-A3EB-4BD3-8BE2-42340BC6D0C5.jpeg
7FE1F56C-9636-43AC-8A32-24F1C551B1A9.jpeg
84DB133F-A99B-4427-BCB5-6BE2CD64AB5C.jpeg

A great afternoon topping feeders, it’s only been five days and some are empty already, this current cold weather is certainly emptying the grain trailer!
Took the Sako 85 out today in 22-250 loaded with 40 grain vlds moly coated and at 4400 FPS it certainly does for magpies! A puff of black and white feathers and a giggle from me
View attachment 435476
Top pic, the magpies up here are pairing at the moment and ar'nt situationally aware , have taken a couple in the last week

ugly

LE
It was sat on a stalk of stubble and wouldn’t move when I drove the quad down the other side of the hedge, usually they bugger off when I stop the engine. This one didn’t!

The_Duke

LE
Nice dry day but birds scattered due to ACF activity on the area. 4 drives to reach 20 birds by lunch (nearly 6:1 shot ratio though), but 2 good drives to finish on 57.

Another nice family friendly day. Really enjoyable.

jmb3296

Old-Salt
Great day out today in pretty poor weather.

10 guns and a Bag of 48 of which I accounted for 9 with the little AYA sxs including a left and right. That is very unusual for me and a red .etter day.

My sons dog ( son didn’t come so dog worked to me happily enough) retrieved all of my 9.plus 2 for another gun who didn’t have a dog and he also pegged one.
He usually manages to peg one each shoot.
Strangely he never knowingly returns a live bird to hand. They all expire during the retrieve. I have skinned quite a few and there are never any marks on the pegged birds. We suspect he is holding the chest to stop it expanding and smothering them.
He sat at peg, made great retrieves and worked well in the beating line.
He made the day.
Here is my poor photo of the guilty party.
2322D0DB-9B60-48C7-B887-1A71FDFFCE36.jpeg
2322D0DB-9B60-48C7-B887-1A71FDFFCE36.jpeg

ugly

LE
We had a good day today managed 18 pheasants 1 mallard and one teal with an even split on cock versus hen. 125 shots, one person guessed 126 but we bullied him into rolling it over and we may end up donating it either to the young beaters or to charity!

Latest Threads