Shooting season 2019/2020

ugly

LE
Not to appear a little eager but yesterday we had our shoot committee meeting, fixed the fees and the dates for our shoots. 9 days planned with a fox drive and a squirrel day and maybe a boundary day for the kids and beaters.
Saw one of my regular beaters last week on the train and he said he is really looking forward to the season again.
800 birds to be ordered in, but going for a ton of grower pellets this year, gat the birds two weeks later and onto wheat within a month!
Yup very excited.

Not to appear a little eager but yesterday we had our shoot committee meeting, fixed the fees and the dates for our shoots. 9 days planned with a fox drive and a squirrel day and maybe a boundary day for the kids and beaters.
Saw one of my regular beaters last week on the train and he said he is really looking forward to the season again.
800 birds to be ordered in, but going for a ton of grower pellets this year, gat the birds two weeks later and onto wheat within a month!
Yup very excited.
Went for an armed ramble with no. 2 son round three of the woods we have permissions on and two of them we have pens in. Took the dogs who had a whale of a time. Checked and assessed where I will need to recut the paths this season and also used the opportunity to get rid of a couple of slack handfuls of mixed cartridges of various shot sizes to do some drey poking.
Bag 1. pigeon that fell to my first barrel of the season when it bimbled over for a look at us.
Met up with four of the syndicate who had been pigeon shooting and managed to decoy in more jackdaws than pigeon.
I helpfully added my pigeon their bag and made a hasty retreat.
Good day out and a good start to the season.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Had our AGM last month. All going well and a suprisingly healthy bank balance. Gonna experiment with some new drives and putting a few more birds down.

Not gonna bother with duck this year. They’ve been shite the past 3 years. Either not flying or getting eaten by otters.

Our game keeper is retiring this season due to getting married and having a sprog on the way.

One of our other long term beaters is stepping up to the plate. Good lad, hard working farmer through and through. Knows the shoot, knows the family. His old man was our head stockman for 29 years.

Got simulated game day in a fortnight. I’d thought it was a reciprocal invite for a day I gave to a bloke I know, but he’s just asked me for payment for it.

A bit cheeky to be honest. I sorted him out with a 100 bird day for free and he wants me to cough up 200 quid to pop some clays. It’s not like he’s short of a few bob. Might **** it off.

He won’t be getting an invite this season.

Otherwise just need to get on top of the crows and pigeons.

My dog is losing the plot and is desperate to get out there.

Had our AGM last month. All going well and a suprisingly healthy bank balance. Gonna experiment with some new drives and putting a few more birds down.

Not gonna bother with duck this year. They’ve been shite the past 3 years. Either not flying or getting eaten by otters.

Our game keeper is retiring this season due to getting married and having a sprog on the way.

One of our other long term beaters is stepping up to the plate. Good lad, hard working farmer through and through. Knows the shoot, knows the family. His old man was our head stockman for 29 years.

Got simulated game day in a fortnight. I’d thought it was a reciprocal invite for a day I gave to a bloke I know, but he’s just asked me for payment for it.

A bit cheeky to be honest. I sorted him out with a 100 bird day for free and he wants me to cough up 200 quid to pop some clays. It’s not like he’s short of a few bob. Might **** it off.

He won’t be getting an invite this season.

Otherwise just need to get on top of the crows and pigeons.

My dog is losing the plot and is desperate to get out there.
Yes the simulated game organiser is taking the piss , some people will never understand etiquette.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yes the simulated game organiser is taking the piss , some people will never understand etiquette.
Wouldn’t mind if the bloke was skint but he drives a 120 grand Range Rover.

ugly

LE
Wouldn’t mind if the bloke was skint but he drives a 120 grand Range Rover.
They are the worst, dont get me started on Ferrari drivers;)

I was subject to some very unsubtle poaching by a Scottish nouvaue once, wanted to sell his oil funded mansion in Fawley, buy an estate in Scotland or assemble one from farms and I was to be his factor/keeper. The boss at the time got a sniff and wasn't impressed as the Scot was one of his guns. I should have taken him up on the offer and by now (20 years on) the locals might have accepted me!

ugly

LE
I picked up a pile of old manual traps yesterday morning from the old keeper -1 clay club. with the two electric traps we have and these five manuals we should have something to plan an entertaining day for our season opening clay shoot and BBQ!

Meeting tonight(we met previously but things went tits up for a few reasons and some are being precious).
The first work party is this Sunday and every three weeks, the effort levels this year seem to be more along the treading water rather than looking at improving things(read teddies being thrown about). I can see it being a crap summer unless a couple of the lads have a chat.
The dogs are like headless chickens as we've moved house and the garden is full of pigeon as her indoors is feeding everything in sight.
I've got to get lad number two out with his new gun on some crows/jackdaws as we're over run with the buggers....fortunately when it comes to work parties he enjoys every minute and he's out all day.

ugly

LE
Today saw our first planned (albeit at very short notice) work party. 8 turned up, 2 were committee regulars and 2 were wife and son.
Still the important bit was two were professional tree surgeons who took out the two dangerously dead chestnuts from outside the pen and the very dead tree inside the pen. We strung up new sewelling and hung loads of cd roms around the place hoping to deter buzzards. I also managed to spray off the electric fence on two pens and repair a beater/walking guns footbridge and clear some overgrown willow in the way. When they pissed off to the pub at about half ne I got on with sorting out the remaining 3 traps that needed fixing and mounting. I will lay on a clay shoot one Saturday afternoon next month as a thank you!
Slowly coming together.

ugly

LE
We were lucky with the weather, managed to dodge the hail and the only ones getting damp were the two fixing stiles. Two were needed this time with two more maybe next time.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Having been first time game shooting as a guest plus my 2 son's on a colleagues family farm shoot last year, I'm planning to do some more game shooting this year :) Particularly nice was junior son nailing a duck with his first shot using a 0.410.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Having been first time game shooting as a guest plus my 2 son's on a colleagues family farm shoot last year, I'm planning to do some more game shooting this year :) Particularly nice was junior son nailing a duck with his first shot using a 0.410.
It’s pretty addictive isn’t it?

It’s not just the shooting side, but the whole social side too.

There is a great group on Facebook called Affordable Game Days. Check it out.

Lots of people selling last minute pegs for cheap, even the odd big shoot selling off unsold end of season clear up days.

A few syndicate places going too.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sociable indeed. We were invited for breakfast then had lunch with the rest of the guns/keepers etc.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Soooo here’s a crazy idea. Who’d be up for an arrse shoot day?

Find somewhere fairly central so easily travelled to, book a cheapish day. 50 birds walk one stand one or something, then all crash in a nice local boozer?

Just a thought?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'd be up for that.