Shooting Season 2018 / 19

Usually takes me a couple of days to properly get my eye in again, but given the way we were popping the clays today I can’t wait.

Need to have a serious think about whether I want to be shooting with a side by side or OU this season. I’ve had that OU for about 3 years now and it served me well, but shooting that old Westley Richards today was brilliant.
Never used a side by side, so I can’t comment. I switch between a Benelli Legacy 20 gauge, and a Winchester Select 12 gauge OU.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Never used a side by side, so I can’t comment. I switch between a Benelli Legacy 20 gauge, and a Winchester Select 12 gauge OU.
Give it a try sometime. I much prefer a side by side for walk up, not least because they’re so much lighter. If you’re walking any distance it’s a side by side you want.

The swing is much quicker and nicer on a side by side. Much better for snap type shooting when you have to react to a quick bird. Very well suited for your style of hunting and exactly what you want over here for walk up and grouse, which are quicker, lower and much more likely to change direction than pheasants.

Over and under generally better for birds that are flying directly over you from in front to behind. I.e driven pheasants. Also there is generally more metal there so they can take bigger loads and are more useful for really high pheasants.

Everyone is different but for me the perfect combo is a light side by side with 28” barrels for walk up, grouse and lower pheasant drives. OU with 3” chambers and 30” barrels for high pheasants and clays.

Luckily that’s what I’ve currently got in my safe, but I would like a slightly more modern side by side that can take slightly bigger loads.

Give it a try sometime. I much prefer a side by side for walk up, not least because they’re so much lighter. If you’re walking any distance it’s a side by side you want.

The swing is much quicker and nicer on a side by side. Much better for snap type shooting when you have to react to a quick bird. Very well suited for your style of hunting and exactly what you want over here for walk up and grouse, which are quicker, lower and much more likely to change direction than pheasants.

Over and under generally better for birds that are flying directly over you from in front to behind. I.e driven pheasants. Also there is generally more metal there so they can take bigger loads and are more useful for really high pheasants.

Everyone is different but for me the perfect combo is a light side by side with 28” barrels for walk up, grouse and lower pheasant drives. OU with 3” chambers and 30” barrels for high pheasants and clays.

Luckily that’s what I’ve currently got in my safe, but I would like a slightly more modern side by side that can take slightly bigger loads.

My OU has the 28 inch barrels, but the semi has the 26 inch barrel. I won’t use the 30 inch barrels.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My OU has the 28 inch barrels, but the semi has the 26 inch barrel. I won’t use the 30 inch barrels.
Yeah probably unlikely that you’ll be shooting pheasants that are 70 yards up in the air.

You’ve really educated me on this thread. I genuinely never understood or knew anything about hunting in the states. Used to sell about 40-50 guns a year to America and they were usually weird calibres and barrel / choke combinations that would make little sense in the UK.

27” barrels on a 12b OU? 28b OUs but with open chokes and stocked for large blokes?

Understand it now.

Yeah probably unlikely that you’ll be shooting pheasants that are 70 yards up in the air.

You’ve really educated me on this thread. I genuinely never understood or knew anything about hunting in the states. Used to sell about 40-50 guns a year to America and they were usually weird calibres and barrel / choke combinations that would make little sense in the UK.

27” barrels on a 12b OU? 28b OUs but with open chokes and stocked for large blokes?

Understand it now.
I use a cylinder choke for the bottom barrel as my brush barrel. Then I use an improved modified for hr top barrel, for the long range shots.

I use an improved modified for the semi.

ugly

LE
Also for @ugly, how do you store the birds during the day? The way I would try keeping track is a load of stackable plastic boxes marked up with the drive number on. Either give them out, a couple to each gun and the birds get dropped in or use a beater to fill the boxes with a set number of birds in each box.

If it works you could get some fancy wicker baskets to look a bit less chavvy than plastic.

I'll also second Ravers' suggestion of the Rydale clobber, I got a load of their shirts last year. Comfortable, look reasonably smart without ironing and the sleeves can be rolled up without feeling tight. Cheap as well.
If only the bag justified the effort, our modest bag is usually moved around in a bread basket on a quad and hung in the briefing barn at a suitable break. I have offered to rig a frame to a trailer making it a game cart, that will help keep the birds cool as it looks like being a warm and mild start to the season. Boxes dont allow airflow, vital down here in Sussex where the start of the season can be in shirt sleeves.

ugly

LE
I'd like it to look like this: UTV GAMEMATE LARGE
wide_1914-135435.jpg

It will be bodged by me! Pics when its in use.

CENS! IT'S FOR WINNERS!

Other in ear hearing protection is available.

Wider brims are good for lurking in puddles while it rains, waiting for passing ducks.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
CENS! IT'S FOR WINNERS!

Other in ear hearing protection is available.

Wider brims are good for lurking in puddles while it rains, waiting for passing ducks.
I do actually own one of those hats and went through a phase of wearing it while travelling, but I got sick of everyone asking me what part of Australia I was from.

In this country they’re considered a little bit real ale enthusiast / metal detectorist / axe murderer.

Wife wears it better than me.

231FF27B-DD08-4BB5-9001-EB7FB30DD3A2.jpeg

Last edited:

ugly

LE
I do actually own one of those hats and went through a phase of wearing it while travelling, but I got sick of everyone asking me what part of Australia I was from.

In this country they’re considered a little bit real ale enthusiast / metal detectorist / axe murderer.

View attachment 347000
Now that explains why the kids are good looking!

I have two of the ones I put in the link, I want something that will tell me what each drive produced what direction it was driven and how many shots were fired (per drive). This will help plan each coming season and also be my defense when the useless shots complain about small bags but they have run out of cartridges!!

As a planning tool its a good idea. When I print it off I'll scan as a pic and post it up
A good team of ‘picker ups’ are best evidence in these circumstances!!

View attachment 347000
You take a fair tan Ravers.... must be that time at sea..... I’ll get my coat....

ugly

LE
A good team of ‘picker ups’ are best evidence in these circumstances!!
No, the guns cant hit them so pickers up are almost redundant, we usually have one or two but they get very bored. The evidence is number of shots fired versus number of birds hit, seen to be hit and recovered. There is always a runner but we dont always get them despite our best efforts.
Now I am running it I will be able to slow down the day to ensure shot birds are picked up. A few guns have dogs, not enough in my opinion.

I very little about the subject however thought I would share this.

I do know a farmer, arable around 4000 acres, he has a nice house and a veg patch. Any way the pigeons are playing havoc with his veg so one morning he hears said pigeons on his veg so sneaks downstairs to get his gun. Sneaks back upstairs where his good wife is fast asleep and cracks open the bedroom window.

Boom gives the buggers both barrels, she leaps out of bed and he breaks his gun to get another two cartridges in, one of the cartridges spins through the air and hits his good wife, right on the nose. She raises merry hell and he tail between his legs goes to see what he,s got.

Looks at his prize, yep one of Yorkshire,s finest racing pigeons.

Latest Threads