Shooting Season 2018 / 19

I hope you actually use it to good effect. Most people around where I used to live barely every used their pickup, just tool around/ commute in it. What a waste. I never owned one as I never had a regular need for it. If I wanted one for occasional use I would just borrow it off a good buddy of mine or go to Home Depot to get one of their rental trucks. My little hatch back had plenty of carrying potential with the rear seats folded down! The amount of stuff I carted in that thing is sometimes unbelievable. You could fit items of crazy dimensions in that hatch.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
May one sggest that Sir acquire a decent titfer to complete Sir's ensemble? The flat cap is embarrassingly hipster.

Maybe if you’re hunting crocodiles.

Not really acceptable headwear on a driven game shoot.

Also impossible to wear proper ear defenders with that.

I hope you actually use it to good effect. Most people around where I used to live barely every used their pickup, just tool around/ commute in it. What a waste. I never owned one as I never had a regular need for it. If I wanted one for occasional use I would just borrow it off a good buddy of mine or go to Home Depot to get one of their rental trucks. My little hatch back had plenty of carrying potential with the rear seats folded down! The amount of stuff I carted in that thing is sometimes unbelievable. You could fit items of crazy dimensions in that hatch.
It shall be a good vehicle, and able to throw dead things in the back is a big plus.

Looks good but that’s gonna be a lot of work to keep accurate. We struggle to get all the birds in one place to count them at the end of the day, let alone after every drive.
Also for @ugly, how do you store the birds during the day? The way I would try keeping track is a load of stackable plastic boxes marked up with the drive number on. Either give them out, a couple to each gun and the birds get dropped in or use a beater to fill the boxes with a set number of birds in each box.

If it works you could get some fancy wicker baskets to look a bit less chavvy than plastic.

I'll also second Ravers' suggestion of the Rydale clobber, I got a load of their shirts last year. Comfortable, look reasonably smart without ironing and the sleeves can be rolled up without feeling tight. Cheap as well.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just been up to Westlands Country Park near Gretna. First time up there and only about 40 mins from me.

Really impressed. 20 very nice and well thought out stands, a couple of simulated game stands for a few guns and the usual skeet and DTL traps of that’s your thing. The place is immaculate, all new gear and well maintained paths etc. Not your average manky farmer’s field covered in smashed clays and litter at all.

Very relaxed, you just rock up, sign in and they give you an electronic card. When you get to the stand you want you put the card in a holder and it then counts how many clays you’ve had.

Afterwards you just go back to the desk, they swipe your card and you get your bill. 25p a clay, very reasonable. Really nice not to have a random shadowing you and counting up your clays. You can just go round at your leisure.

Well impressed. Will be back a lot.

@ugly that Westley Richards shoots beautifully. Couldn’t miss with the thing. Was smashing high clays from the tower straight out the box.

Took the OU as well but I was shooting much better with the Westley Richards.

Seems like a nice usable day to side by side might have to go on my wish list. Something with 2 3/4” chambers and a bit more modern that I can put heavier loads through. Keep the Westley Richards for special occasions and grouse.

60EA418C-C974-432A-A0F7-E11AF3D044F9.jpeg
12537268-8DF9-4024-8A2D-8C971468E971.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What who wears ear plugs when they hunt....??
Everyone on driven shoots in the U.K. would you really want to shoot 100 odd cartridges (plus being stood next to other people doing the same) without them?

Just been up to Westlands Country Park near Gretna. First time up there and only about 40 mins from me.

Really impressed. 20 very nice and well thought out stands, a couple of simulated game stands for a few guns and the usual skeet and DTL traps of that’s your thing. The place is immaculate, all new gear and well maintained paths etc. Not your average manky farmer’s field covered in smashed clays and litter at all.

Very relaxed, you just rock up, sign in and they give you an electronic card. When you get to the stand you want you put the card in a holder and it then counts how many clays you’ve had.

Afterwards you just go back to the desk, they swipe your card and you get your bill. 25p a clay, very reasonable. Really nice not to have a random shadowing you and counting up your clays. You can just go round at your leisure.

@ugly that Westley Richards shoots beautifully. Couldn’t miss with the thing. Was smashing high clays from the tower straight out the box.

Seems like a nice usable day to side by side might have to go on my wish list. Something with 2 3/4” chambers and a bit more modern that I can put heavier loads through. Keep the Westley Richards for special occasions and grouse.

View attachment 346812 View attachment 346813
I take it they dont sell razors up norf.

My range has the card reader for clays as well. I enjoy it immensely. Do you feel ready for the first shoot of the season?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My range has the card reader for clays as well. I enjoy it immensely. Do you feel ready for the first shoot of the season?
Usually takes me a couple of days to properly get my eye in again, but given the way we were popping the clays today I can’t wait.

Need to have a serious think about whether I want to be shooting with a side by side or OU this season. I’ve had that OU for about 3 years now and it served me well, but shooting that old Westley Richards today was brilliant.

im Delighted to hearit was a good experience there now
The previous owner was an utter twunt ov whom I wish a long and painfull end.

Maybe if you’re hunting crocodiles.

Not really acceptable headwear on a driven game shoot.

Also impossible to wear proper ear defenders with that.
You Sir, need a pair of these:

CENS Digital

I have hyperhidrosis. Since having my sweat glands removed, my head can at times resemble a water feature. I suffered for years with over head and ear defenders until I found Cens. I now have a pair of the Pro-Flex Hunters and they’re excellent. They can cope with everything from a starting pistol to centre-fire whilst the microphones can pickup conversation no problem as well as amplifying nearby quarry moving about.

Super comfortable as each pair is made from a custom mound of your ear. You will be seen by a local audiologist who does the moulds then sends them to Cens, all within the price. Yes, they’re not cheap but as far as I am concerned, they’re a one-time buy.

As for the question about hunters wearing hearing protection, I’m reminded about the ‘’request’’ call to Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam from ‘’Bob in Artillery’’ - I don’t care what you play - just PLAY IT LOUD!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
im Delighted to hearit was a good experience there now
The previous owner was an utter twunt ov whom I wish a long and painfull end.
Looks like it’s had some serious cash spent on it. Everything was very new and nicely manicured. Brand new traps, freshly laid paths etc.

The girl in the office was lovely.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You Sir, need a pair of these:

CENS Digital

I have hyperhidrosis. Since having my sweat glands removed, my head can at times resemble a water feature. I suffered for years with over head and ear defenders until I found Cens. I now have a pair of the Pro-Flex Hunters and they’re excellent. They can cope with everything from a starting pistol to centre-fire whilst the microphones can pickup conversation no problem as well as amplifying nearby quarry moving about.

Super comfortable as each pair is made from a custom mound of your ear. You will be seen by a local audiologist who does the moulds then sends them to Cens, all within the price. Yes, they’re not cheap but as far as I am concerned, they’re a one-time buy.

As for the question about hunters wearing hearing protection, I’m reminded about the ‘’request’’ call to Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam from ‘’Bob in Artillery’’ - I don’t care what you play - just PLAY IT LOUD!
I’ve got some decent over ear jobs that amplify quiet sounds and cut out loud sounds. Can’t remember the name but they’re good ones. Purdey used to sell them but rebranded for about 300 quid a pair.

I quite like keeping my ears warm. Also they’re brilliant because you can hear what the beaters are saying in the woods, sometimes not to be repeated to the other guns!