Shooting Season 2018 / 19

Crow, Jackdaw,maggies, Jay. If possible every single one of them however Jays are a beautiful bird.

Good, but don't forget to blast the other vermin, Grey Squirrels. On one of my old shoots in Oxfordshire, part of our agreement with the landowner was to control the squirrel population, so the first Saturday after the end of the season, when all the leaves had gone, there was a day where every gun & most of the beaters would turn up where the keeper had several extendable light metal poles & we would seek out all of the dreys, get a ring of guns around, poke/destroy the drey & kill all of the squirrels fleeing. We used to get a reasonable number, very few escaped and the corpses were shown to the landowner to prove we had kept to our agreement.
Sadly by the time the next season started, squirrels would have encroached from other woodland areas where there were no controls!

ugly

LE
Did you have my muntjac skulls from Suffolk?

ugly

LE
Good, but don't forget to blast the other vermin, Grey Squirrels. On one of my old shoots in Oxfordshire, part of our agreement with the landowner was to control the squirrel population, so the first Saturday after the end of the season, when all the leaves had gone, there was a day where every gun & most of the beaters would turn up where the keeper had several extendable light metal poles & we would seek out all of the dreys, get a ring of guns around, poke/destroy the drey & kill all of the squirrels fleeing. We used to get a reasonable number, very few escaped and the corpses were shown to the landowner to prove we had kept to our agreement.
Sadly by the time the next season started, squirrels would have encroached from other woodland areas where there were no controls!
We had our first at the end of the last season, great fun and used loads of carts

Kirkz

LE
As soon as I can. Some ****** keeps robbing my skull dump
Not me, I only robbed the one in Wiltshire.
Did you have my muntjac skulls from Suffolk?
I certainly picked up some muntjac and roe skulls off you last time I was down, also took the point lever from Stratford upon Avon. :mrgreen:

ugly

LE
Not me, I only robbed the one in Wiltshire.

I certainly picked up some muntjac and roe skulls off you last time I was down, also took the point lever from Stratford upon Avon. :mrgreen:
Good, I wondered what I'd done with them. Still to mount my gold medal roebuck head

Kirkz

LE
@ugly, here's what I did with one of them...
20190813_154440-756x537.jpg

hicky

Old-Salt
@ex_colonial , greys get it too however the majority of their habitat borders our land so they're a pest to the storage bins(now metal). The kids on the shoot knock about with air rifles doing this task. Fox is done by a few of the lads as they have the time and the gear.

ugly

LE
Has a great day yesterday, found the drinker spares. Spoke to the farmer who agreed to deliver the grain this week and redrill the crops where I originally asked for. Whether or not it happens remains to be seen but he rang me back which is a major achievement

ugly

LE
I'll do the same for you here, I have two fox skulls for you, 1 is complete or very nearly. I will start keeping the carrion birds skulls for you too! I have also some squirrels and mice from the pen sited fen traps. I put them out on the buzzard table but hes happier eating the dead pheasants I leave for him, the stupid ones that fly head first into trees!

Kirkz

LE
I'll do the same for you here, I have two fox skulls for you, 1 is complete or very nearly. I will start keeping the carrion birds skulls for you too! I have also some squirrels and mice from the pen sited fen traps. I put them out on the buzzard table but hes happier eating the dead pheasants I leave for him, the stupid ones that fly head first into trees!
Cheers Mukker :grin:

ugly

LE
Our feed arrived. A 5 tonne load of grain. The hottest weekend so far and I've got half of the feeders out already. I am knackered but the feed runs drawing the birds to the covers may not be as vital this year as they have been using the beans and wheat for cover and have started to appear on the drives already!

ugly

LE
Went out today to put out the last 4 feeders, all done apart from the fact that yesterday I managed to acquire 10 new 40 litre drums.
These will be done next week, strapped to fence posts etc as I am out of legs and spare metal at the moment and worse the time to make them.
I figure tomorrow after everything is finished I may get the nozzles fitted and one or two run out if 0A is ok. Otherwise its a job for next weekend. "Final-ish" work party to get some more paths cut planned for Saturday. I will be missing a shoot day in mid Jan due to an earlier accepted booking for a trip to Dublin (the last year Minime will bowl there) so will be training up a stand in for this day all season!

The new feeders will get used to populate rides where I seemed to hold fewer birds than previously.

Lots of good adult birds about from previous years and one pen was empty today with all of the birds out in the cover crop (which I must dad has come on amazingly in the last week) so the usual feed rides I normally put out earlier haven't been needed thanks to the cover provided by the recently harvested beans and wheat!
I am happy as this means less feeder moving and the birds are now using the field headlands and finding insects as well as paths to drives!

hicky

Old-Salt
All the landowners have cut the grass so the birds are out, a couple of small pens placed into the maize so the feed rounds now are taking longer and longer but thats only for a week or so. Fortunately we've got ibc tanks feeding two large pens so no traipsing round with barrels of water. The new shoot hut can hold all our feed, dinner tables, trailer and has a kitchen plus small log fire, bonus. The ducks are from a different supplier and seem lazy as buggery, we're getting 30/4- wild on one of our ponds so I hope they stay and don't drag ours off. Now the weather is cooler it's time to get some miles to sharpen up the dogs fitness a little....not long now.

ugly

LE
I called in at the cafe on my way in this morning, local picker up dressed ready for the opening day. Lucky bastard

Latest Threads