Shooting Season 2018 / 19

Just a question..... you obviously don't kill them all, do they hang about till the following year, or go feral ?

I'm just remembering from the foot and mouth problem, a few years ago, when they weren't alllowed to be hunted, and went everywhere
Generally you do kill all the pheasants , a few keepers leave some but most of the ones I know clear them all up at the end of the season , then poults are bought in later in the year.

Ravers, you really are one lucky barsteward. Good eye, good hound and God’s own own countryside. My home turf in the 70s was further down the Eden. Still questioning my decision not to shoot in France but not regretting it each time I hear about yet another incident.

Ravers, you really are one lucky barsteward. Good eye, good hound and God’s own own countryside. My home turf in the 70s was further down the Eden. Still questioning my decision not to shoot in France but not regretting it each time I hear about yet another incident.
I dont understand your last sentence ?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just a question..... you obviously don't kill them all, do they hang about till the following year, or go feral ?

I'm just remembering from the foot and mouth problem, a few years ago, when they weren't alllowed to be hunted, and went everywhere
It varies from shoot to shoot. Some places only shoot cock birds on the last few clear up day. The hope being that any hens left might lay some eggs and you’ll get some wild ones.

Personally I’m not sure if this works. It’s a nice idea in theory but I’m not sure how effective it is.

The lads on my shoot are out all this week just bashing whatever they can. We let our regular beaters just get on with it. This is in addition to the beaters day we put on for them.

We’re quite generous, if you beat for us you usually end up with 4 or 5 buckshee days.

I’ve just been informed they got 26 today and they’re out again until Friday.

Last edited:
I dont understand your last sentence ?
Refers back to a conversation here a couple of months ago. On safety grounds I have decided to not continue to shoot here in France. Although I like my booze (not yet had the courage to follow in Ravers’ footsteps), the culture of hard alcohol pre-shoot and more throughout the day had already concerned me. Then, in October, a family pet was shot by a neighboring shoot almost certainly trespassing on my land. I couldn’t prove who, but 5 pellets in the poor cat left me and the vet in no doubt. Add that to the annual death and injury toll left me thinking “when, rather than if”. After thinking long and hard, and listening to SWMBO, I have racked my guns for the immediate future.

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Refers back to a conversation here a couple of months ago. On safety grounds I have decided to not continue to shoot here in France. Although I like my booze (not yet had the courage to follow in Ravers’ footsteps), the culture of hard alcohol pre-shoot and more throughout the day had already concerned me. Then, in October, a family pet was shot by I neighboring shoot almost certainly trespassing on my land. I couldn’t prove who, but 5 pellets in the poor cat left me and the vet in home doubt. Add that to the annual death and injury toll left me thinking “when, rather than if”. After thinking long and hard, and listening to SWMBO, I have racked my guns for the immediate future.
I was shooting with 4 Frenchmen yesterday actually. Really good bunch of guys and safe, but even they said it’s like the Wild West in France and they feel much safer shooting in this country.

ugly

LE

I see previous years bird with poults during the summer so some do survive and make a life on the farm. We were lucky down here, F&M didn't touch us physically.

ugly

LE
Generally you do kill all the pheasants , a few keepers leave some but most of the ones I know clear them all up at the end of the season , then poults are bought in later in the year.
Well, if only. We struggled to make 200 out of 800 put down. Last day today, 57 shots and 10 pheasants and one pigeon plus a fox in the bag. The CO was very ill having had a TIA last night so he missed me poaching birds going forward. Although he did say dont let the guns miss many and also put the best shot in the hot seat!
A grand day out and looking forward to bashing pests next weekend.

The downs this morning
DSCN9193.JPG
DSCN9196.JPG
DSCN9199.JPG
DSCN9201.JPG
DSCN9209.JPG
DSCN9211.JPG

The dead fox was left to stag on!

Last edited:
Ratting with ferrets and whippets this Saturday and the shoot kids armed with alkathene pipe.....what could go wrong?
:threaten::-D

ugly

LE
Ratting with ferrets and whippets this Saturday and the shoot kids armed with alkathene pipe.....what could go wrong?
:threaten::-D
Its our pest day this Saturday, a way of getting the beaters who shoot in on the farm, the Colonel isn't well and has decided to stay indoors so allowing us to dust off the pumps and autos. It should be interesting and Ive invited some friends down from London to take part.
Lets face it the guns aren't going to turn up en masse unless they are coaching their kids on the day.
The boss unwell as he is has just bought a new Huglu 20 bore from me and is looking forward to a private clay session later on if he is well enough.

ugly

LE
Pest day was a great success, twelve turned up including two youngsters whom I armed. We went through 270 cartridges blasting away at drays and pigeons. Flushed a few birds from drives we haven't seen them on since before Christmas and managed a lovely bag of 16 squirrels and 1 woodpigeon. The squirrels were carted off to Hackney by the suburban bushwhacker and his friends.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Pest day was a great success, twelve turned up including two youngsters whom I armed. We went through 270 cartridges blasting away at drays and pigeons. Flushed a few birds from drives we haven't seen them on since before Christmas and managed a lovely bag of 16 squirrels and 1 woodpigeon. The squirrels were carted off to Hackney by the suburban bushwhacker and his friends.
I do miss the simple pleasure of popping squirrels with my .22 air rifle.

They’re all reds up here. Haven’t seen a grey since I lived in London.

ugly

LE
I do miss the simple pleasure of popping squirrels with my .22 air rifle.

They’re all reds up here. Haven’t seen a grey since I lived in London.
Come here we have hundreds left! The kid's lined up around the with a 28 and a 20 bore and we used 8 shot pumps to bust the drays and the kids killed them as the ran off along tree trunks and branches, some great shooting had.
I've been using a 22-250 or even the .280 when I've been out and about.
Tomorrow I have go and collect some old feeders from around the farm where they are damaged or on drives not fed anymore. Time to start tidying up in casecase we end up with new owners!

Come here we have hundreds left! The kid's lined up around the with a 28 and a 20 bore and we used 8 shot pumps to bust the drays and the kids killed them as the ran off along tree trunks and branches, some great shooting had.
I've been using a 22-250 or even the .280 when I've been out and about.
Tomorrow I have go and collect some old feeders from around the farm where they are damaged or on drives not fed anymore. Time to start tidying up in casecase we end up with new owners!
We only have reds around here ( I have a client who lives at sedberham who has a feeding station outside his utility room the BBC wildlife unit would kill for.reds 3 foot away to order whilst you drink your coffie)
They;are as dense as a thick thing Aparrently, almost like Bravo Bravo but much cuter).

ugly

LE
It was such a success that I will implement more squirrel bashing before winter is out! Trapping can start again when the poults arrive as that is when we have a presence at least once every 24 hours.

Zero rats on our pest day round the farm which was a surprise....the kids were so we left at lunch. 28g Kofs bought for the nipper so its crow bashing time soon. Its got a great piece of wood on it, I'm very surprised at the quality of it.....here's to hoping he' a whizz with it.

Two cracking roost shooting Saturdays so far .

I would firstly like to thank the RFU for ensuring there has been no fixture clash on the first three Saturdays of February , secondly Alex the keeper and thirdly the landowner .

There is still over 400 acres of maize on the ground , so the number of pigeons has to be seen to be believed . A good number of beaters and their children turn up , so all the woods are covered which keeps them in the air all afternoon .

Challenging shooting , as the jink like scalded cats when they see you , so both your fieldcraft and shooting have to be up to par .

My guest day on partridge was postponed and I couldn't make the alternative- disappointing but it was nice to be invited -however by way of compensation my sponsor invited me to a midweek partridge and pheasant day at his syndicate.
12 guns 6 drives plus lunch.
Took 8 partridge and 1 high pheasant -to demonstrate my "eye" was good (I thought it unfair to take pheasant when syndicate members were present but was told off as "numbers needed taking")for 25 cartridges
Now it's back to pigeon- if I can find a flight line- and rabbit.
3 deer stalks provided no sightings but a knock on from the pigeon farmer is a "if you fancy a go at the boar feel free, just don't over do it"
Funny how many new friends I now have who are "happy to give you a hand if you need it"- as if! :O)