Shooting Season 2018 / 19

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What are the most common bore shotguns you folks use? 12 bore here, but I prefer my 20 bore shooting 3 inch shells with #5 shot.
12 bore is the most common by far. 20s for smaller statured blokes and girls. 16s are making a bit of a come back but the choice of cartridges is limited and more expensive.

I usually start the season with 28 or 30 gram number 7s and as the birds get bigger and start flying higher, I move onto 32 gram number 5s.

7s or 6s for grouse and I never put anything over 28 grams through the father in law’s old side by sides (95 year old Holland & Hollands).

When I was in the gun trade we used to sell a lot of 28 bore over and unders to your side of the pond. Presumably for shooting quail.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I mentioned on last years thread that the offer stands for anyone to join our shoot as a beater or to work their dog (as long as it’s well behaved).

10 mins from junction 39 of the M6. Shoot every Saturday from mid October until the end of the season. About 15-20 different drives over 1500-2000 acres of beautiful Cumbria, in the shadow of the Pennines. If you beat 4 days or more you can shoot on beater’s day early Jan. Very friendly shoot with everyone from farmers to ex military senior officers getting involved.

Gimme a shout if anyone fancies it, even if it’s just for one day to see what it’s all about.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some bargains to be had here if anyone is after some new clobber:

Men's Sale | 50% Off Or More

Also an extra 10% off if you use the code SALE10 at the checkout before midnight tonight.

Tempted to treat myself to the Colmbrook set. Most of my gear is 10 plus years old now and appears to have shrunk somewhat. Ahem.

I mentioned on last years thread that the offer stands for anyone to join our shoot as a beater or to work their dog (as long as it’s well behaved).

10 mins from junction 39 of the M6. Shoot every Saturday from mid October until the end of the season. About 15-20 different drives over 1500-2000 acres of beautiful Cumbria, in the shadow of the Pennines. If you beat 4 days or more you can shoot on beater’s day early Jan. Very friendly shoot with everyone from farmers to ex military senior officers getting involved.

Gimme a shout if anyone fancies it, even if it’s just for one day to see what it’s all about.

"Wot with my feet ?

In the good old days, when my knees weren't buggered and I could walk 15- 20 miles in a day...... I would have snapped up the offer.

Still, I enjoy the posts of you and the other hunters....... keep them coming

Would've loved to since I've never been to a shoot in the UK. But unfortunately, my legs are buggered this year so have to take a rain check. Maybe next year.

The_Duke

LE

Also an extra 10% off if you use the code SALE10 at the checkout before midnight tonight.

Tempted to treat myself to the Colmbrook set. Most of my gear is 10 plus years old now and appears to have shrunk somewhat. Ahem.
They look like very good value - almost too good to be true! Have you had stuff from them before?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
They look like very good value - almost too good to be true! Have you had stuff from them before?
Never owned any of it, but had a good look at some of the gear this weekend at the Lowther show. Seems good quality. I’d buy it.

They do a Schoffel style gilet that is really really nice quality. They had them at the show for 30 quid and stupidly I didn’t pick one up. They’re double that online.

Just bought the Colmbrook shooting jacket, the SALE10 code is still working. Final price of £143.97 for a jacket starting at £349.95 - happy chap!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just bought the Colmbrook shooting jacket, the SALE10 code is still working
Let us know what it’s like when it comes through.

Gonna go for the breeks and a new cap. Can’t justify the jacket as I already have a few, although it does like lovely.

Gonna go for the breeks and a new cap. Can’t justify the jacket as I already have a few, although it does like lovely.
Will do @Ravers

I hope you can carry that look off..

However some do look great...

ugly

LE
3 per man or 3 in total? Are these wild pheasants or are they reared? Also who sets the limit? Is it the government or land owner or what? Genuinely intrigued. There are shoots over here where 5 or 600 birds is the bag for the day. In the 1920s they would shoot thousands.

Obviously it’s a long day in the freezing cold for us and the beaters usually end up walking a good 10 miles or so. That’s generally why we start a bit later. Also during the winter up north in the UK, it doesn’t get properly light until about 9am.
It similar in Canada although fencing and declaring a game preserve means you can do what you want pretty much. In Canada in addition to firearms licensing they have to have hunter education certs, a permit obtained through a draw and they can only hunt on the land named in the permit. Usually crown land is open for hunting or walked up pheasant, last time I checked Ontario had a bag limit of five birds no more than three of one sex. All game even if shot on own and belongs to the crown and can be taken from you. Different for game preserves.
Basically it sucks.

ugly

LE

ugly

LE

Latest Threads