Shooting Season 2018 / 19

Decided that I’m gonna buy the boy a gun if he beats for me all season.

Recommendations for a first bangstick please.

Something with 2 barrels (so it looks like mine), .410 or 28 bore. Left handed. Short stock for child.
As you like Turkish stuff Yildiz may be the way to go .410

Something with 2 barrels (so it looks like mine), .410 or 28 bore. Left handed. Short stock for child.
Purdey......? Joking aside there’s a few cheap offerings from Turkey for under £500 new which don’t look too horrible. Some were on offer at Sportsman Gun Centre recently and may have been as low as £430 new (?).

Very nice of you. I got a Remington 870 with a 30 inch fowling barrel as my first shotgun. Damn thing weighed a ton.....

ugly

LE
No such luck with one, She will be getting surgery to repair her acl. Kenneled for 6 weeks and full recovery is 6 months.
Unlucky

ugly

LE

Kofi do youth sized guns chap as chips too. Failing that I have a side by side Huglu 28 bore you can have (for the right money)

ugly

LE
Paul T at Foxholeses will help. He spent some time with my lad who just wanted to have a nosey(I want him to have a lesson first).

ugly

LE
Yesterday I did my rounds early and pushed the roe out of the cover crops. I thought I'd go early as I was due to watch wendyball in a pub with my sons. In the pub the phone rang, The Colonel asking if I was coming in today. I told him no and I'd already been so he asked me to visit today. I was a little concerned hoping I hadn't dropped the ball.
Fast forward to this afternoon I rocked up and rang the doorbell at the big house. He was all apologies for not tipping me last shoot day and had bought me a pocket knife. I needn't have worried he was trying to get me to have a new quad and boots. I resisted but he was interested in my views on how it went and did I want to do anything else with the shoot. Great really, I came away feeling valued.
I may tap him up for some shirts though!

Yesterday I did my rounds early and pushed the roe out of the cover crops. I thought I'd go early as I was due to watch wendyball in a pub with my sons. In the pub the phone rang, The Colonel asking if I was coming in today. I told him no and I'd already been so he asked me to visit today. I was a little concerned hoping I hadn't dropped the ball.
Fast forward to this afternoon I rocked up and rang the doorbell at the big house. He was all apologies for not tipping me last shoot day and had bought me a pocket knife. I needn't have worried he was trying to get me to have a new quad and boots. I resisted but he was interested in my views on how it went and did I want to do anything else with the shoot. Great really, I came away feeling valued.
I may tap him up for some shirts though!
I’d go for a new quad if offered but you could maybe tap him for a thermal scope if you don’t need the bike ;)!!

Had a stunning Friday and the weather was glorious, a major change from the week before. The Partridge flew like bullets and we only went for high pheasants and they were glorious. The total bag for the day was 112 and the Mrs has 8 hanging in the garage ready for tomorrow we don't pluck just whip the breast out - as you do!
Many thanks for th3 advice on the choice of jackets, the Barbour has now officially been retired and the new Seeland Marsh Jacket has had its first run out - Excellent coat but sadly no rain to test it out fully. Good purchase and cracking customer service from John Norris.

Well Hound # 2 has a soft tissue injury on his leg and will be on antibiotics for 2 weeks and thus can't go out in the field. He also has a suspect bump on his leg which will also have to be removed...... I think my dad and I will try to go out again on Halloween but it will be more walking then hunting.... Oh well it appears this will not be a great Pheasant year,

Has anyone any experience of the Lincoln Jubilee O/U ?
They seem quite a reasonable price , but I don't know anything about them , such as where they are made , durability , etc .

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Has anyone any experience of the Lincoln Jubilee O/U ?
They seem quite a reasonable price , but I don't know anything about them , such as where they are made , durability , etc .
It’s Rizzini’s entry level brand. Made in Brescia.

I have a battered up old one that I kind of inherited from a farmer. It’s probably 25 years old and has spent its life being chucked on the back of a quad bike and being used to prop open gates.

It’s the sort of thing you could buy at auction for 25 quid.

Good solid farm gun. A bit agricultural but it does the job. Nothing nice about it, but nothing bad about it either. It feels quite lightweight for an OU.

Same Browning clone action as my Huglu.

I imagine a tarted up one with some nice wood and half decent engraving would be quite a nice gun.

A days beating on a 120 bird ladies day near Preston on Wednesday. The wind was very much on and off and not in the guns favour with many birds turning back to the wood so the shooting wasn't an even spread as usual. A couple of guns ran out of carts and two ladies acted in what I thought was a very sensible manner and put their gun away due to injuries as they weren't comfortable(gladly it was towards the end of the day and they'd enjoyed themselves). A few mistakes from me with the dog(pictured here after last Sundays flight, I didn't shoot a friend did, he has no dog) but everything is a learning curve and her first true decent day(ie loads of birds, at one flushing point I had about 40 birds a handful of meters in front and her like a coiled spring!) of the year so onwards and upwards.....the downside, I left her swivel lead in the carpark like a nob!.....edited for monginess.

Attachments

Last edited:

ugly

LE
It’s Rizzini’s entry level brand. Made in Brescia.

I have a battered up old one that I kind of inherited from a farmer. It’s probably 25 years old and has spent its life being chucked on the back of a quad bike and being used to prop open gates.

It’s the sort of thing you could buy at auction for 25 quid.

Good solid farm gun. A bit agricultural but it does the job. Nothing nice about it, but nothing bad about it either. It feels quite lightweight for an OU.

Same Browning clone action as my Huglu.

I imagine a tarted up one with some nice wood and half decent engraving would be quite a nice gun.
Indeed, I have shifted a fair few of them from the auctions. Usually with a double trigger which puts off the traditional O/U users but after years of double trigger side by sides is not an issue!
No1 thing to check is the safety works and that when closed up its not too sloppy. Most aren't bad just neglected.

ugly

LE
I left her swivel lead in the carpark like a nob!
Its quite normal to lose/forget something, otherwise you need the game cart just in case!

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Well that is just what I have done - thanks all. The total damage including postage was £116 for the Seeland Marsh Jacket - reduced by over £100 is not a bad deal.
Will post it's first outing feedback - subject of course it being a crap day with bags of rain and that heavy Cotswold wind!
Via John Norris.
Great sales in John Norris. Always worth keeping an eye on.

Its quite normal to lose/forget something, otherwise you need the game cart just in case!
In her excitement she's like a spinning top, I've got spare slip leads but I'll have to order another. 8O

Latest Threads