Shooting Season 2018 / 19

ugly

LE
Ive just finished todays feed round, yesterday I used 200 litres of water on the bird waterers and have started to put out spare waterers and drums of water for the gundogs.
Saturday was exceptionally hot at 25 degrees and its not much cooler now. We were promised 7 days of solid rain but we have had maybe two hours and everything is rock hard but curiously green. We still have some leaves on the trees and the birds are out and about. I will put out one new feeder this week and that should be me satisfied.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ive just finished todays feed round, yesterday I used 200 litres of water on the bird waterers and have started to put out spare waterers and drums of water for the gundogs.
Saturday was exceptionally hot at 25 degrees and its not much cooler now. We were promised 7 days of solid rain but we have had maybe two hours and everything is rock hard but curiously green. We still have some leaves on the trees and the birds are out and about. I will put out one new feeder this week and that should be me satisfied.
Is anyone farming the land you shoot on?

Reason I ask is that it sounds like you’re doing a **** load of work by yourself.

All the jobs you’re doing are things we (we being the people who farm the estate) do on our daily rounds of the cattle / sheep etc.

It’s not much hassle topping up some feeders if you’re already going that way to feed some cows.

An invite to a shoot day or a bottle of something nice is usually enough payment for them.

ugly

LE
It is farmed, mainly sheep. The shepherd does loads already and is invited. He also tops off our big tanks at the pens and mows the rides for free. I cant ask him to do the feed run. I dont do all of the feeding, some of the guns pitch in but most feeders have a water bowl adjacent and they all need refilling in this hot dry weather.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It is farmed, mainly sheep. The shepherd does loads already and is invited. He also tops off our big tanks at the pens and mows the rides for free. I cant ask him to do the feed run. I dont do all of the feeding, some of the guns pitch in but most feeders have a water bowl adjacent and they all need refilling in this hot dry weather.
I suppose it’s never even occurred to me that some shoots have to top up the water.

How the other half live.

We had torrential downpour and floods Saturday just gone and had to cancel our shoot.

We’re never short of water!

I suppose it’s never even occurred to me that some shoots have to top up the water.

How the other half live.

We had torrential downpour and floods Saturday just gone and had to cancel our shoot.

It is supposed to be in the mid 50's for our first shoot!

Perfect weather, not to hot and not snowing.

Day 2 of the season yesterday, and an executive decision has been made - The Barbour is to be retired and a replacement required. The weather was foul and the winds driving so the Barbour failed as did some of the more modern brands. Any suggestions on lightweight good quality beaters coats that will allow me to breath whilst yomping and keep me windproof and dry.
The total tally was 109 mainly Partridge but some spectacular high Peasants and the token two pigeons.
I have an old Barbour for when the weather is really wet, a newer Hoggs Strathspey for when not so wet but windy and cold. Not waxed but sort of Moleskin, rain repellent, good outer sidepockets for cartridges, big inner waterproof and zippered, good detachable hood. V Warm and a great coat. Gift so not sure of price but Hoggs do a pretty good range and selection.

ugly

LE

How the other half live.

You may remember the first job I had to do as keeper was to dig out a blocked stream that had caused a whole drive to be flooded, it was raining that day hardly at all since. Amazingly our cover crops have grown!

To those who've thrown in a late recovery crop, how is it doing?
Our Mustard which went in probably a month ago only has about 4 inch of growth....v disappointed!

John Norris, more or less always has the best prices...Malmo however :(

Beat one walk one is a bit awkward, you'll always get a few who almost run through the cover in an effort to get it over. The cun ts dont get that they are ruining their own sport. Selfish bastards who should be shamed.
I can see resentment setting in sharpish or cross words.

Our Mustard which went in probably a month ago only has about 4 inch of growth....v disappointed!

I must have a look in at norrises sometime.
I hate to admit it considering I drive past his shop if I go to pick up the girls from school but the last time I did Buisness with them was buying 16 g cartridges when I was about 16.
I’ve tended to get jackets etc from Relphs at Yanwath as they are just down the road. Their stuff is good but they don’t have the panache that old Willie Relph had when it came to selling you stuff you didn’t know you needed.

ugly

LE

Our farmer held off on one field at my request and resowed the other, both are acceptable, the maize mix holds the Roe, they like the cobs as they are only a few feet tall. The left alone one is a Kale and wild grass mix. I will ask for maize and wild grass maybe next time. That said all of our field margins which were set aside or sowed with grass have died back. I was gutted but the wheat is gone and been replaced with oilseed rape and the fields hold birds better than the margins. So more beaters required. More flagging in and maybe by next month we will be dogging in.

ugly

LE
Ive just returned from the final feed round since the weekend. Some feeders were almost empty showing that the birds have moved around a lot. I used up a fair amount of water again and put out more waterers along with dumping drums and troughs at the end of the drives for the dogs.
As I finished the last feeder I saw loads of birds which is good. We cut that drive in half to save time. Next week it will be fully done. It was trying to rain although it was 19.5 degrees.
I have managed to build another multi nozzle feeder from an old drum and I now have the spot sorted for it. Looking forward to next weekend.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I must have a look in at norrises sometime.
I hate to admit it considering I drive past his shop if I go to pick up the girls from school but the last time I did Buisness with them was buying 16 g cartridges when I was about 16.
I’ve tended to get jackets etc from Relphs at Yanwath as they are just down the road. Their stuff is good but they don’t have the panache that old Willie Relph had when it came to selling you stuff you didn’t know you needed.
Relph’s is amazing if you can cope with the jumble saleness of the place.

There was a Barbour my missus wanted a few years back that had some flowery girly pattern on the lining.

£220 in John Lewis and seemingly unavailable everywhere else.

Saw it in Relph’s with no price tag. One of the brothers came out and just made the price up on the spot.

“Call it 160 quid mate. Stick it on the farm account so you can claim the VAT back?”

“Yes please.” :)

Relph’s is amazing if you can cope with the jumble saleness of the place.

There was a Barbour my missus wanted a few years back that had some flowery girly pattern on the lining.

£220 in John Lewis and seemingly unavailable everywhere else.

Saw it in Relph’s with no price tag. One of the brothers came out and just made the price up on the spot.

“Call it 160 quid mate. Stick it on the farm account so you can claim the VAT back?”

“Yes please.” :)
Their dad willie was a very class act of a very old school.
He dressed and had the demeanour of mr pickwick dressed as a gentleman farmer from the edwardian period. Allways treated you like a visiting potentate,( even as a spotty teenager), and as you were looking for the thing you went for would casually show you what he “ had just got in”
One example I still remember of effortless selling was I went in for a tin of foot rot spray, Willie insisted I try on a new line full length Barbour riding coat,
“ just the thing when your riding out your dads horses on Barton fell”. Whilst I was contemplating the not inconsiderable price tag Willie pounced.
“ you shoot don’t you ?, here I’ve just got these in try a few on me”.
He then reached into a cartridge pouch and stuffed a couple of big handfuls into the pockets of the riding coat.( making it neigh on impossible to take off the coat and keep the cartridges without looking a cad!.
“ don’t worry I’ll put it on Ken’s account” as he ushered me out the door with a rather magnificent coat I didn’t think I needed and hadn’t consciously bought. Dangerously addictive dealing with William in those days.( I blame him for setting me off on my now ruinously expensive wearing of trickers shoes)

Latest Threads