• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Shooting Season 2018 / 19

Right click on the image, click on open with and select paint. In the top menu there should be a resize button, select 25 and save as.
Thats what I do.
Feral goats are a quarry in Wales and the West Country but not here yet, our downs are too well managed to be a goat haven.
Our Partridge and waterfowl season has started but as we aren't supposed to shoot those on our farm we always wait until 1st October passes. Our first date is the 13th and Ive still a few odd jobs to do.

Thank you for the advice sir! Your first shoot is coming up rather soon. I hate how quickly this time of year goes.

Yesterday was a new hunting record, the temp hit 90 degrees.....I managed to sweat off 4.5 pounds over the course of the day.

The_Duke

LE
I recently approached a local shoot to ask if I could rock up with my young son to introduce him to beating.

The keeper thinks that this won't be possible as children aren't covered by the shoot's insurance.

Obviously I'm happy to take him along on my flick as it were, but this doesn't seem to cut any ice. My own shoot would be happy but its a bit of a distance for a near 7 year old who might want to sack it early doors.

Anyone else encountered this problem?
No problem on the garrison shoot I go to. Making it a family event is positively encouraged.

ugly

LE
No problem on the garrison shoot I go to. Making it a family event is positively encouraged.
Same here, we encourage guns families to get involved

Estate work party this week chainsawing and clearing the trees that fell across and blocked watercourses during the last big storm about two weeks ago.
Day got off to a bad start when I dropped my mobile phone into one of the watercourses when manoeuvring to get a better position on a fallen tree. Unfortunately it was in my pocket at the time and I was soaking wet from the bollocks down for the rest of the morning.
Good attendance at the work party which provided some light relief for them at the start of the day.
Three blockages caused by fallen trees at various parts of the estate cleared and the water free flowing again.
Looking forward to our first shooting day at the end of this month.

ugly

LE
Unfortunately it was in my pocket at the time and I was soaking wet from the bollocks down for the rest of the morning.
I know that feeling so well.
Hats off today for those about to start the 2018 season on Pheasants, guns up!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I know that feeling so well.
Hats off today for those about to start the 2018 season on Pheasants, guns up!
First boundary day on Saturday then start properly on the 20th.

Not excited at all...not one bit.

ugly

LE
I hadn't thought about a boundary day before the season, Hoping to organise a few vermin drives for the end of season though. Our first day is the 13th. Ive a mate helping put the sewelling out on the Friday afternoon, unsure whether to dog in on the Saturday morning. I may wait and see. There is one bit of ground off ours which will need the neighbours permission to dog in. Its been very useful to us in the past. I should pop over for a chat!

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I hadn't thought about a boundary day before the season, Hoping to organise a few vermin drives for the end of season though. Our first day is the 13th. Ive a mate helping put the sewelling out on the Friday afternoon, unsure whether to dog in on the Saturday morning. I may wait and see. There is one bit of ground off ours which will need the neighbours permission to dog in. Its been very useful to us in the past. I should pop over for a chat!
We always do 2 boundary days before the first driven day. We rarely shoot anything but it’s nice to get out and about and I definitely think it helps to get the birds back into the middle.

I think last years bags on the boundary days were both less than 5.

Also a good way to test out new gear before the season proper. I don’t mind finding out that my new coat isn’t waterproof on a boundary day that I can sack off, but it’d be a disaster on a driven day.

ugly

LE
Also a good way to test out new gear before the season proper. I don’t mind finding out that my new coat isn’t waterproof on a boundary day that I can sack off, but it’d be a disaster on a driven day.
Before the season starts we are still in shirt sleeves down here. Unlucky if it rains before end of November. Definitely wetter on the inside down here

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Before the season starts we are still in shirt sleeves down here. Unlucky if it rains before end of November. Definitely wetter on the inside down here
You're basically in Spain compared to us.

ugly

LE
More like the Loire Valley, wine of decent type, chalky downland hills and fit birds that aren't hairy just feathered!

Just noticed the new adornment in the local pub....!
Purdey.jpg

ugly

LE
Despite looking around over the years for a cheaper place to retire to short of moving abroad (yuk) or back to Cornwall (too wet) I am rather taken with the place and its ever so mild and sunny!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Was chatting shit on a Facebook shooting group about boots last night.

Woke up this morning to a message from Danner offering me not one, but two new pairs of shooting boots to review.

Win.

I was really struggling with a lack of boots and was wondering what to wear this season. ;)

Keep your eyes peeled for the reviews.

12AA21EC-A39B-4959-BFD7-9DC01126678E.jpeg

We had our first day of the season here in the Cotswolds last friday. A cracking day and glorious weather, it was a Partridge only day we have stopped all snipe and woodcock as we rarely see them around.
The total bag for the day was 30 brace of Partridge and 2 brace of Pigeon (64) - having fired off over 300 cartridges.

Woke up this morning to a message from Danner offering me not one, but two new pairs of shooting boots to review.

Win.

I was really struggling with a lack of boots and was wondering what to wear this season. ;)

View attachment 355535
I'll wear them. you write them up....... size 10.

If the shooting's poor, I'll pop over and kick a couple of deer to death

Win.

View attachment 355535
How do you manage to blag them you lucky cnut, I’m sure the furthest you’ll walk is from wherever your Landrover has broken down to the nearest pub ;)!!

What about farming out some of your samples......

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How do you manage to blag them you lucky cnut, I’m sure the furthest you’ll walk is from wherever your Landrover has broken down to the nearest pub ;)!!

What about farming out some of your samples......
In all seriousness it is time for a clearout.

I was going through the collection earlier and I have 16 pairs of boots.

That’s just the ones I can find and haven’t given away yet.

I know I have other pairs secreted in the back of various cars and knocking around the farm buildings.

In all seriousness it is time for a clearout.

I was going through the collection earlier and I have 16 pairs of boots.

That’s just the ones I can find and haven’t given away yet.

I know I have other pairs secreted in the back of various cars and knocking around the farm buildings.
You damn woman!

Latest Threads