• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Shooting Season 2018 / 19

Hmmm, probably second to last work party yesterday. Top nets off and out for the birds(they should of been out earlier but the farmers have struggled with weather to cut their grass and they're not colouring up very well). Stupid ba*tard Guinea fowl(they're the preferred target for many of us) spooked the birds in our big pen and bang they're all gone. Fortunately not too far as I went home for the dog and dogged the majority back in and got some good steadiness training/testing in, suffice to say I'm very happy with her, I've just got to get her toned up now!
Another hasty pen added with only a few birds in on one duck drive to add a little spice, not many of the lads were interested in doing it but the farmer was so in it went. Only three weeks until our first day......kit check....pants need some attention and from 4 whistles to one...where the feck do they go?

ugly

LE
Our birds were bought in early, yes its almost doubled the feed bill but they are almost all wild now and all over the drives. I have a couple of paths to cut this week in some of the drives, this we will do with a tow along flail behind a big quad and I will manhandle a brushcutter and smash brambles with my little quad.
The clay shoot went really well, smashing weather and a new gun cleared all of the stands although he admitted to shooting clays fortnightly. I was only three behind him.
The observant may notice I have lost about 3 stone plus this last year:
IMG_0199.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0198.JPG

ugly

LE
The odd coloured furniture on my gun is just that. Its an old Marocchi, a selective ejector. It chooses when its going to eject on a whim. I paid £40in the auctions for it, no bead, dented ribs and covered in rust. It still looks rough but it shoots really well!

It looks short barrelled or are you a giant?

Up at 0330 for a drive to the coast for first light to get a wee crack at the geese, pretty quiet and weather fair - 8 down between 3 of us by 0730. Fairly tired now, will be far more sociable when they start taking up residence in the fields behind the house as it will involve a walk to the end of the garden and over one park at most as opposed to a half hour tab in this morning with headtorch deployed!

I’m still not sold on steel shot being as good as lead but since we are all ‘sans plomb’ these days you’ve got to tow the party line.

71435396-B968-445B-9276-B79ABBC43AC9.jpeg

ugly

LE
It looks short barrelled or are you a giant?
I've not bothered to measure the barrels or chokes, it works, that's enough for me!

Last edited:
Schwacked a goat today. Pretty big boy. Front Quartering shot at 330 yards give or take. Will post a pic on Wednesday whe I can get to a computer, can’t figure out how to resize it for Arrse.

ugly

LE
Schwacked a goat today. Pretty big boy. Front Quartering shot at 330 yards give or take. Will post a pic on Wednesday whe I can get to a computer, can’t figure out how to resize it for Arrse.
Right click on the image, click on open with and select paint. In the top menu there should be a resize button, select 25 and save as.
Thats what I do.
Feral goats are a quarry in Wales and the West Country but not here yet, our downs are too well managed to be a goat haven.
Our Partridge and waterfowl season has started but as we aren't supposed to shoot those on our farm we always wait until 1st October passes. Our first date is the 13th and Ive still a few odd jobs to do.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you’re using a phone an easy way to resize phots to Arrse is to send them to yourself on Facebook then save it from there.

Voila, the saved version will be the required size.

I recently approached a local shoot to ask if I could rock up with my young son to introduce him to beating.

The keeper thinks that this won't be possible as children aren't covered by the shoot's insurance.

Obviously I'm happy to take him along on my flick as it were, but this doesn't seem to cut any ice. My own shoot would be happy but its a bit of a distance for a near 7 year old who might want to sack it early doors.

Anyone else encountered this problem?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I recently approached a local shoot to ask if I could rock up with my young son to introduce him to beating.

The keeper thinks that this won't be possible as children aren't covered by the shoot's insurance.

Obviously I'm happy to take him along on my flick as it were, but this doesn't seem to cut any ice. My own shoot would be happy but its a bit of a distance for a near 7 year old who might want to sack it early doors.

Sounds like they might just be fobbing you off because they don’t want a kid there or can’t be arsed to look through the policy.

Our syndicate is insured through BASC (which I imagine nearly every shoot in the U.K. are) and kids are definitely included in the policy.

Additionally we have family membership with the Countryside Alliance which also covers the sprogs.

My lad is also 7 (nearly 8 ) and has been beating a few times. He can just about manage a whole day but usually gets bored. I pay him a fiver if he lasts the whole day which gives him the incentive to crack on. I’m trying to instil some work ethic in him and if he completes the whole season I’ll give him a bigish present of some description.

The game keeper also lets him go for rides on the quad which keeps his interest up. There are a couple of drives that involve pushing through some seriously thick bushes and trees and climbing in and out of big ditches that he struggles with. On these drives I put him out on the edge with a flag.

If all fails he can sit in the Landy with the iPad.

Youngest laddo, this is his third year. He's put some effort in and been on most feed days with me. Last year he saved all his beating money(still got it). absolutely loves the whole affair.....hasn't a clue what girls are yet so the wheels could fall off, his older brother is barely interested as there's no tail to chase.

Attachments

We tend to use them as stops if they're young, tapping at the edge of woods, if you've enough beaters it's fine...if you're short then you have to get in the line and we found the kids didn't like standing there and become bored easily.

Latest Threads