Shooting Season 2018 / 19

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Following on from here....

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/shooting-season-2017-18.267315/

The glorious 12th is nearly upon us.

So as per last year, what are your plans for the season? Any new kit to play with? Any days booked? etc. etc.

We’ve got off to a bad start unfortunately. A family of otters have got amongst our duck and they’re pretty much all gone. Either been eaten by the otters or just fucked off to somewhere safer.

Nothing we can really do about it, but that’s life. To be honest they weren’t great last year and were flying way too low to shoot at safely.

So no duck on our shoot this year.

On the plus side, pheasants are looking healthy and we’ve been working with the forestry guys over the summer to thin out some of the woods which will make it much easier for the beaters.

One of our best drives is back in business after 5 years out of action. We’d cut the woods down because there was a lot of ash in there and we were worried about ash disease. It’s now got sufficient cover again to hold birds.

I’m looking forward to a couple of late grouse days and testing out my new Westley Richards side by side that I stole off @ugly. ;)

Dog is doing well, she was great in the beating line last year and did a few drives just sat next to me on the peg to get used to it all and the sound of guns. She’s about to have pups, but she should be over them by the time we start shooting properly.

Landy is still running. At some point I want to make a box to go in the back of it with foam inserts for all the gear. Saves everything rattling around loose in there with a muddy hound.

Other than that business as usual. First driven pheasant day is 20th October. Got a few boundary days and walk ups before that and might see if I can get on some grouse somewhere.

We're waiting to receive the poults on two of my DIY sindicates .
Once they come , very busy early mornings on the feeding rota .
Seen some English partridge on the land , which is always nice .
Loads of hares around too , as all the shoots round here cull foxes very efficiently .

Shooting game on a Sunday ? It will be the Glorious 13th this year , whats the going rate these days?

Last edited:
FAC/SGC just renewed so Happy Happy
Have a guest invite for partridge on Oct 3rd but a new venture for me this year is via Kent Wildfolwlers.
I joined last month and have started shooting pigeon and will be having a try at Duck flighting (3 flooded quarry areas about 3 miles from me is a draw as is the coast being 7 miles away) in a few months

Good luck with the wildfowling, when I lived up at kirkbride I was introduced to its “pleasures” by a mate.( shudder). I’m afraid all that remains in the memory bank is squatting in salt marsh gully’s on the solway at ungodly hours. Freezing my tits off and watching the elements ruin a perfectly good Benelli 5 shot whilst I held it.
I may just be a soft git though.( I’m sure some of you infantry types would find it home from home !).

Good luck with the wildfowling, when I lived up at kirkbride I was introduced to its “pleasures” by a mate.( shudder). I’m afraid all that remains in the memory bank is squatting in salt marsh gully’s on the solway at ungodly hours. Freezing my tits off and watching the elements ruin a perfectly good Benelli 5 shot whilst I held it.
I may just be a soft git though.( I’m sure some of you infantry types would find it home from home !).
This is what I fear!
My main reason for joining was to access/try my hand at pigeon shooting- there are no flight lines over the orchards where I rabbit shoot- but since wildfowl are available I will give it a go- once! ;)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’ve never been wildfowling but I imagine it to be exactly as you’ve described.

Sadly the grouse count on both Warcop and Hilton moors was so low that this season has been cancelled. Birds need to be preserved as breeding stock for next year. The silver lining is I don't have to work miles over the danger area. Apparently, similar situations can be found else where as a civi chum had his walked up in Scotland cancelled for similar reasons. Got to wait for partridge before dusting off the Beesleys.

Went wildfowling a couple of times last year with no.1 son and got the bug. Looking forward to doing a bit more of that this season.
Poults have been in three weeks now, which is three weeks earlier than usual for us. They are doing well, the long dry summer and the change of supplier has produced good looking birds, well feathered and with minimal losses so far.
As we have got the birds in earlier we will manage to start shooting at the end of October rather than early November.
On the down side, time and finances don’t allow a return visit for red deer hinds this year, maybe next.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Went to the Lowther show today. Only one small shop selling secondhand guns this year which was slightly disappointing. Previously there has been a proper gunmakers row with the likes of Krieghoff and Longthorne in attendance.

Plenty of bargains on the clothing and dog side though.

Kitted my boy out with a new cap and a fake Barbour jacket. He doesn’t know it yet but this year he’s gonna be earning his keep as my beater. Took him out once or twice last year but he was still a bit small and gave up by lunch time.

He’s 7 now (8 in November) so time to crack on.

653B8807-15DF-4CA0-B24A-113ABBD25B29.jpeg

Shooting game on a Sunday ? It will be the Glorious 13th this year , whats the going rate these days?
About £130 +vat a brace but you’ll be lucky to find that many places shooting this year and if they are they will probably on a small diary and/or subject to change.

Gone from the offer of 14 days loading (I could only do 5) to zero which is a pisser as had planned on using the cash to put towards a new toy which is on order.

I’ve never been wildfowling but I imagine it to be exactly as you’ve described.
Gone are the days of that for me, the farm behind the new house where I happen to have secured a bit of shooting regularly has 200+ geese in each field later on in the year (noisy bastards as well).

It’ll be over the back fence and down the side of a drystane dyke, and over a drainage ditch where I’ve handily placed a long pallet with a scaff board up the middle to give them the good news with the auto from now on.

Well.. our poults arrived a few weeks ago, and I have been taking turns on the pen patrols.. things seem to be progressing nicely apart from the resident buzzard who seems to be putting on weight...!

ugly

LE
Well.. our poults arrived a few weeks ago, and I have been taking turns on the pen patrols.. things seem to be progressing nicely apart from the resident buzzard who seems to be putting on weight...!
Our birds arrived late june and as such are fully feathered up and flying, we can now see the cock birds by plumage and one pen seems to have a mafia of cock birds holding it against hens. Playground rules I expect. I have used up 2 tonnes of grower pellets (there are still plenty in the feeders) and moved into our first loose grain from the farm. I have started feed lines where I want birds to wander and out down straw rides with grain and bird puller. One or two pens still causing issues but out of 800 poults I believe Ive only lost about 20 ish to fox and buzzard.
Things are looking good and I am putting out more feeders this week to encourage the birds where to go.
A few partridges have been seen and wild birds with poults so the farm is definetly healthy.
We seem to have recruited a few new younger guns so hopefully the bag will increase.

Kitted my boy out with a new cap and a fake Barbour jacket. He doesn’t know it yet but this year he’s gonna be earning his keep as my beater. Took him out once or twice last year but he was still a bit small and gave up by lunch time.

View attachment 345846
You've chimneys need cleaning too I expect.

Went to the Lowther show today. Only one small shop selling secondhand guns this year which was slightly disappointing. Previously there has been a proper gunmakers row with the likes of Krieghoff and Longthorne in attendance.

Plenty of bargains on the clothing and dog side though.

View attachment 345846
A fake Barbour ? thats child abuse , wait till he`s older , kids cost a fortune , I`ve just had to cough up £800 for a laptop for my brat , my own was only £300!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A fake Barbour ? thats child abuse , wait till he`s older , kids cost a fortune , I`ve just had to cough up £800 for a laptop for my brat , my own was only £300!
It was 20 quid.

He’ll have outgrown it by the end of the season or trashed it.

He’s a proper farm kid. If there is a muddy shitty, puddle in a 3 mile radius of him, he’ll find it and roll around in it.