Shooting rights!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by jibbajabba, Oct 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a request to anyone that lives or has lived in south somerset.

I live in Yeovil and I am currently looking for new shooting grounds for rabbit hunting.

At the moment with air-rifle but looking to go to .22 rimfire.

If anyone already shoots around there and wouldn't mind sharing or knows of somewhere where I can get some shooting rights, i would be extremely grateful.

Cheeers

Steve P

2. Good idea! Sorry for interupting, but I'd like the same for Surrey!

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Smudge I may be able to help, the agent I work for has land on his books amounting to about 85000 acres so we do often lease rights for vermin control. Its cheaper than buying land and can cost as little as a couple of hundred pounds a year up to 1000's depending upon what you are looking for!

4. Quality. Will chat to you about it on the 31st :)

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I 'll ask him if he has anything in your area jibbajabba!

6. I didn't realise you had to pay for this sort of thing? Getting my 'shooting rights' (didn't even know such a thing existed) went something like this:

Mr Landowner, can I shoot on your land? 'Yes'.

Mr Plod, can I shoot on his land? 'Yes'.

BangBangBangBang etc

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Pretty much so but some places are leased by firms such as I work for as additional income to non shooting land owners. These rights are then leased out. Rarely just for vermin/pest shooting but sometimes these are thrown in when we nehotiate for deer management rights.
    Lots of woodlands change hands every day and 70 - 100 acres can bring in about £1000 per year in shooting rights (best case) so what landowner turns down free money?

8. Makes sense, I'm now grateful that I have such a friendly neighbour!

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Be nice to them and try and get it in writing, they may not always be so friendly! :wink:

10. Fortuntely before I went to Plod I asked the landowner if he would put his permission in writing, as I assumed the police would want this.

As it happens he's a good friend so hopefully the issue will not arise. Mind you I nearly shot his dog a short while ago - I was drawing a bead on Mr Flopsy Bunny when the fecking mutt crept up on me and jumped in front of my sights with a big friendly hello (black lab!). I nearly shat myself, and then gave him a big friendly boot ***********!

Mind you the landowner nearly shot his own cat once when we were lamping bunnies so he knows his pets are a liability!

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

been there!

12. When my Dad was alive, and I was just a little person, I spent many (nealy every) weekend going shooting. Some of the land was from local farmers that wanted fox / rabbit / deer control.

But Dad also rented land in a wood, along with 2 other friends, for the Deer Shooting (It was just off the edge of Exmoor).

One thing that Dad used to do, was offer the Farmer's the option of every other Deer he shot, was the farmer would have that animal, or it would go to our local butcher (ex RM), and the Farmer would get the money.

Its always worth asking your local farmers, or even people that own large house's with lots of grounds.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Always worth casual chatting, I have picked up lots of ground that way!

14. Good excuse to visit lots of country pubs too!

15. jay

jay

hi mate would be interested in leaseing some vermin/stalking rights myself! hope you can help?thanks jay