Shooting Qualification

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by walting_matilda, Jun 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Please can you tell me what qualification you need to run a civvy range?

    I have my short/ long range course in the ACF but wondered it is different for civvy shooting.

    Furthermore, as a RCO of a civvy range, how many can you supervise shooting if they are school pupils (not attached to ACF/CCF.

  2. If it's a private range no qualification is needed. A RCO qualification from the NRA/NSRA is required to run a Civvy shoot on an MoD range.

    How many people you can supervise is really down to practicalities. There might be some legislation relating to supervision of children but it isn't specific to shooting to my knowledge.
  3. I may be wrong but I was under the impression that kids not involved in the Cadets cant legaly fire a rifle.

  4. It was a false impression. Anyone can fire a rifle, though not anyone can own one or use one unsupervised.
  5. Surely that is wrong?

    A civvy gun club needs no regulation while a cadet one has regs to the hilt?
  6. You didn't ask about regulation you asked whether you needed a Range Conducting Officer qualification to operate a civilian range. Civilian clubs are subject to loads of regulation in various forms.

    If you are operating a civilian range for a Cadet or military unit you may well be subject to military requirements that the range owners are not.

    Civilian users of MoD ranges are subject to requirements that military users are not.
  7. Lending a rifle to someone who does not have a Firearms Certificate (FAC)
    The Legal Authority - Section 16 (1) Firearms Amendment Act 1988
    a person who does not hold a FAC may borrow a rifle from the occupier of private land
    an "occupier" is taken to be a person with "any right to hunt shoot or take game" on land other than the foreshore
    a written lease or permission is taken to give a "right", whereas a verbal agreement or invitation probably does not
    the rifle must be borrowed, not hired, and used on land owned or occupied by the person lending the rifle
    the rifle must always remain in the presence of the occupier or his servant (i.e. within sight and earshot)
    the servant must also hold a FAC covering the rifle concerned
    the borrower must be aged seventeen years or older
    the borrower must adhere to the same FAC conditions, e.g. security as apply to the FAC holder
    although the rifle may not be hired, ammunition may be purchased
    (No liability can be accepted for the above interpretation of the law most of which has been extracted from Home Office publication "Firearms Law Guidance to the Police")
  8. You should really have an NSRA/NRA RCO ticket as appropriate to run civvie ranges.
    In practice it is often less formal and every club has their own code of practice. For instance many indoor clubs have as few as 4 lanes, and it's easy to just flick on the red light, have everyone carry on shooting, and then just look across the firing point at each other and see if everyone's finished before changing targets. Probationers should be under supervision, and full members should be fully conversant with the club's SOP and safety regs, so you cna get away without an RO.
    Obviously indoors ranges are a little different as there's no need for a lookout to spot for dog walkers, etc!
    Obviously however, best practice requires you to have someone stood at the back watching over the range, and usually demands that that individual holds an NRA or NSRA RCO ticket.

    That's entirely inaccurate. Many civvie rifle clubs have thriving junior sections. Scouts and Pony club both run shooting as an activity, and many schools likewise shoot outside of the auspices of cadets, Robert Gordens College being one very good example.
    Ironically, there are more legal restrictions surrounding juniors shooting airguns and required supervision than there are on juniors shooting live fire.
  11. I think perhaps the turn of phrase that I might have employed might be something like:

    There is no legal requirement to hold an RCO certificate from one of the NGBs however they do run courses that may be helpful to anyone who needs to run a range.

    As long as RCOs are competent to perform their duties I don't think that the NGB certificates are all that important for CIVILIAN ranges. (They are a requirement for MoD ranges)

    I hold an NRA RCO certificate. I regularly see many other people who hold one who I wouldn't trust to run a bath let alone a range.

    True competence is more important than passing a knife and fork course put on by one of the NGBs.
  12. I would second that statement Ex-Stab.