Shooting out of tyres....

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by chrisg46, Aug 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Not entirely sure if this is the right thread for this, so mods feel free to move elsewhere if appropriate?

I heard once that attempting to shoot out tyres in a speeding car is a waste of time, partly because of the increased air pressure inside the tyre increases the strength of the tyre wall, but mainly because the speed of the tyre surface would deflect the round. i.e. a small pointy lead pellet moving at 900 ish metres per second. Will that penetrate a rubber wall that is travelling at approx right angles at xxx m/s?

I am inclined to think it wont, although it would depend on the speed of the car at the time.
    And yes, i do know a much easier method of stopping a car, but was wondering if anyone actually has experience of this?

2. Not too sure of the physics but there is a chance that the round could be deflected at certain angles.

If you can aim for a tyre though you'd be much better shooting at the engine block or cab. Whilst you may not puncture the engine block there are lots of vulnerable bits such as wires, fuel feeder pipes and even batteries that aren't so tough.

3. Plus hitting a spinning wheel on a moving vehicle would be a fluke shot - the engine bay and driver are all bigger targets.

Rincewind

4. Think the civpol (armed units) use something called a "Hatton Round" for this (amongst other things). Not sure what's in it though.

May be worthwhile seeing if any of our Boys in Blue can answer it.

5. think its big lump of steel into the engine block

edited: wiki:

A breaching round or Hatton cartridge, is a shotgun shell made for combat situations which is specially designed for the purposes of breaching doorways. It is typically fired at a range of 4–6 inches, aimed between the doorknob and door jamb, destroying the locking mechanism.
    Breaching rounds are designed to remove the hinges of doors without the risk of ricochet. These rounds comprise 12 gauge, semi-solid frangible slugs weighing 50 grams. The round is made of compressed zinc- or lead powder bound with wax. When fired, the full force of the round is delivered to the target, minimizing the risk of injury to persons behind the door being opened. Hinges are smashed from their fixings and damage is done to the surrounding woodwork. These rounds will penetrate vehicle tires, fire doors clad on both sides with metal plate, cell-type doors, 12 mm thick Makrolon and bulletproof glass from a range of 1.5 meters. Hatton ammunition can only be used in Magnum shotguns with three inch chambers and unchoked barrels.

6. Did you actually go on that page rincewind?

When does this come out?

I can't actually see the Hatton round being used for tyre destruction. I sincerly doubt it's capability to pierce the tyre, as it is a close round. ie. the muzzle is practically against the door when used, at greater ranges I think it would spread out in to a waxy mess and not cause much damage at all.

A bit like a Lava lamp fired from a chally. :D

7. I think I remember reading about it in "Good Guys Wear Black", about SO19 (as was), so I stand to be corrected on it.

Sounds like fun.

8. From www.freepatentsonline.com

My bold.

From patents site

9. Shooting the airbag sensors in the bumper is much more effective - I saw it on TV once!

10. Didn't Col Tim collins mention somewhere in his book that he shot out the tyres of a bus, using a browning?.

From an engineering perspective- the centrifugal forces generated as the tyre revolves would certainly affect how/if the bullet was to penetrate the tyre and also the ricochet, perhaps the biggest danger would be the bullet rebounding ( due to the psi of said tyre) and possibly striking the firer, or at least giving him a brown trouser moment.

11. Don't know to much about physics, but I do know that both the GPMG and Minimi do the job nicely.

12. As do those nifty .50 calibre rounds I'm sure. :D

13. He did, but I believe the bus was stationary at the time and shot at close range.

14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

The Hatton rd is very good against normal tyres at short range, though it does lose accuracy at distance, but then it's not designed for that.

As other posters have mentioned the engine block is a better target as vehs can drive for quite some distance on flat tyres.
    There are large cal AP rds available for shoulder fired wpns, ie 12 g and 10 g, and these can and do stop vehs.
    I'll see if I can find the video of a car stopped by the Ithica Mag 10 Roadblocker & post it here.

On the other side of the coin there are a number of products which can be put into tyres to enhance their ability to remain inflated when pierced by rds or Stingers, etc.
    In ZA there were a couple of firms that provided this service both to civilians and the Defence Force, in fact the SADF eventually used one that would to permanently seal hits from 20 mil rds !

By the way, Trip_Wire wll be pleased to know that Hatton slugs will turn dogs inside out.