Shooting on HMS Astute

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Uzbeck, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 2 injured. Plod, Ambulance and Fire Services in attendance. No reports of anything worse than 'injured'.

BBC News - One killed in HMS Astute nuclear submarine shooting

On a SSN docked on a visit? Its not just me but Astute is some sort of negative PR vortex?

Obviously I hope anyone injured is okay unless of course it was someone who had no legit reason to be on board....

Edit:- BBC updating as I type. Unfortunately it looks like there was at least one death. RIP.

2. BBC News - One killed in HMS Astute nuclear submarine shooting

3. 1 Navy Officer dead, reports suggest that it was after a dispute after a change of gaurd, seaman apparently pulled his pistol shot the officer, and shot the other seaman coming to change over, the guy was apparently disarmed and then arrested. who knew being stuck in a tin can could drive a man crazy! ha.

4. Sadly, it does seem be be having more than its fair share of bad luck at the moment.

My thoughts are with the Family and Friends of the deceased

5. :( rip
    I suppose nuclear submarine 999 call goes to any and everybody and anything that could possibly be needed comes running and you ask for more details later.

6. Probably called in the Fire Service due to their skills in extracting hurt people from confined spaces. I suspect done on a 'just in case' basis...after all when thall went out they didnt know how many people were down...

7. I would imagine that they would have all the relevant drills for extracting bodies from confined spaces on board given their type of job.

8. This is appalling news. I have no idea what happened, but to lose someone in such a way is a terrible, terrible loss indeed. Thoughts to the NOK.

9. Bad times!

10. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Guys
    Pse remember that NOK, etc need to be informed so if you know anything then pse keep it to yourself for the time being.

11. Man Killed In Shooting On UK Nuclear Sub

One person has been killed and another seriously wounded in a shooting on a British nuclear submarine docked in Southampton.
    The incident on HMS Astute happened while the Mayor of Southampton, the leader of the council and the chief executive were aboard the vessel. None was hurt.
    A Royal Navy serviceman has been arrested. There are reports a 9mm pistol was used in the attack.
    A police spokesman said the shooting was not terror-related and there was no risk to the public.
    Police vehicles were sent to the city's and officers could be seen on the gangway of the submarine. The area has been sealed off.
    A former submarine engineer told Sky News handguns would be kept on board under lock and key.
    Hampshire police were called by the Ministry of Defence shortly after midday.
    HMS Astute arrived at Southampton on Wednesday on a five-day informal stay after six and a half weeks at sea.
    The vessel previously made headlines when it ran aground on a shingle bank between the Scottish mainland and the Isle of Skye and remained marooned for several hours.
    The incident in October last year cost Commander Andy Coles his captaincy of the 300-ft, 7,800-tonne sub.
    HMS Astute was named and launched by the Duchess of Cornwall in June 2007 before being welcomed into the Royal Navy in August last year.
    The submarine's nuclear reactor means it does not need refuelling and it makes its own air and water, enabling it to circumnavigate the globe without needing to surface.

The Ministry of Defence says anyone worried about loved ones on HMS Astute could contact the Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre incident line on 08457

12. L85a2 used as reported on Sky News.

RIP

13. This aint amed at anybody and I know I don't really need to point it out but let's try and avoid this generating into a speculation thread.

• Like Like x 1
  14. According to Radio 4's P.M ....... The gunman was an Able seaman and crew member of this nuclear submarine and had to be disarmed by civilians who were on board.

This would suggest to me that this was no accident and that the crew member (who has now been arrested) has suffered some sort of mental breakdown.

One officer of the sub confirmed dead and another crew member seriously wounded with life threatening injury's to date, reports are still coming in.

15. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Concur completely. The Media are the experts in making uneducated guesses about subjects they know F-all about.

Sympathies go the family of the deceased, and indeed to all of Astute's crew. A bad day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.