Shooting Jacket...

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Yeoman_dai, Dec 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right Gentlemen (and Ladies) I have a question for the floor...

I have the selection but this winter has convinced me that my current wax Barbour Beaufort isn't up to scratch...plus its a little to big for me. So has anyone got any suggestions for a good jacket to wear shooting, both rough and driven that won't look too out of place in any situation?

I'm currently drawn to either these musto offerings

WOODLAND JACKET | Jackets & Coats | Shooting Clothes | Musto Outdoor Clothing

WHISPER JACKET | Jackets & Coats | Shooting Clothes | Musto Outdoor Clothing

or another Barbour, only one made from a more 'technical' fabric, and in a better size

Barbour Mens Herringbone Challenger Waterproof Jacket - Barbour By Mail Online Store

Any suggestions welcome!

2. To be honest, any of them as they're all good quality jackets. Both good reputable makes and all of them would look good at any sort of shoot.

3. Musto's are very very good but pricey, they are the only jacket I know that will keep your body totally dry even after 6 or 7 hours in constant rain! Providing you arn't struggling through blackthorn bushes or snagging it on barbed wire. I have had one for several years and am delighted with it, mind you I wont go beating in it, I keep one of my tatty & leaky Barbours for that!!

4. Round my way I can recall when a fertilizer bag and a bit of binder twine did the job.

5. Yes Musto are pricey, but besides working a treat they will make free repairs virtually indefinitely. I have sent them them a '92 vintage jacket for patching, collars and zips regularly. They keep it going much as one would an old Series Land Rover.

B

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cant beat Nomad, no style and damn expensive but hell they are good, budget wise look around the shops early feb or go to the shooting shhow at newark, get last years styles for better than half price. I picked up a Deerhunter Fox in Realtree for stalking in light showers for £35 about 3 years ago and an end of line/season sale!

7. Barbour used to do a wax jacket with a fairly big zip up poachers pocket at the back. Great for hiding 'off-menu accidental kills' when on posh walked up shoots.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Just about everyone does a game pocket nowadays, bad idea though. Ever sat down forgetting it was there?

9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I have had a Musto Whisper for 2 or 3 years now, its a lovely coat to wear and looks tidy - in fact I wear it to work in the winter. If you do driven days its fine and it will definately keep you dry - but if you are dragging through bushes or climbing barbed wire fences you will worry about ripping it.
    For stalking I use a Beretta GUL 6 which is absolutely bomb proof (just weighs 20lbs when soaking wet).

10. John Norris has Seeland Calverton jackets at half-price (£75), quite tempting but I have no idea whether they're any good.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Seeland is pretty damn good kit!

12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

It is - I find the sizes very large though on some items (even worse with Harkila), if you are mail ordering get a size smaller e.g. EU 48 rather than 50

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats common across the board, some firms make kit bigger so you can wear more layers underneath, others stick to a tighter tolerance, its not wrong it just reflects national custom where made. Some nations wear loads of layers and others dont!