Shooting in t'NorthWest of England.

Mr Happy

LE
Hey Guys,
I've been invited along with SWMBO to go shooting Boar overseas. I've no experience of anything other than Fig11's and whilst the boss might know which end of the barrel the bullets come out of, she doesn't know how to get them in the thing. Have you any suggestions of ranges in the NW or whereever where we can raise our standards so as to be safe in Belgium on a private boar hunt.
I also suspect there are some standards that have to be reached to boar hunt in Belgium, if anyone has any experience?
Best
Gaz

I think there is a running boar range at Bisley. My advice though is go across a few days early and get your host to book you time in a shooting cinema as it is money well spent.

Know the anatomy of the boar and also the lead you have to give them at the ranges your likely to encounter them as it’s easy to give them too much or too little lead. Listen to the briefing as to what you can and can’t shoot, shooting the big or lead sows is often frowned upon as the sounder works on a matriarchal system. A good/safe rule of thumb is if they are big and on their own it’ll most likely be a keiler - shoot, if they are in a large group shoot the small/medium sized ones first.

Whilst watching ‘Wild Boar Fever’ is all well and good it isn’t much help in the woods when you hear the dogs barking and see a pig running towards you as you forget everything you’ve watched and are not sponsored by the manufacturers with the best kit!!

What I would say is when your in the stand stay quiet and don’t switch off or make sudden movements, listen as they really are quite quiet unless they are at full trot with dogs on them and will move relatively slowly and stop and listen just inside cover so the shots aren’t always like in the fore mentioned film.

The best advice I got off my German mate who is pretty handy on a driven day is “When they are close (25m) and not going too fast a good start is to aim on the tip of the snout and work forward or back from there”.

It would be handy to know what the topography of the area is and rifle/scope combo you intend to use as this could save you or cost you money?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hey Guys,
I've been invited along with SWMBO to go shooting Boar overseas. I've no experience of anything other than Fig11's and whilst the boss might know which end of the barrel the bullets come out of, she doesn't know how to get them in the thing. Have you any suggestions of ranges in the NW or whereever where we can raise our standards so as to be safe in Belgium on a private boar hunt.
I also suspect there are some standards that have to be reached to boar hunt in Belgium, if anyone has any experience?
Best
Gaz
Shooting is for girls, this what you need as a man
maxresdefault.jpg

4(T)

LE
I won't narrate my experience of hunting wild boar (on foot) as it may put you off your holiday.

Hope you have very quick reactions and a good sense of target lead; they move like greased lightening...

I won't narrate my experience of hunting wild boar (on foot) as it may put you off your holiday.

Hope you have very quick reactions and a good sense of target lead; they move like greased lightening...
I've had a stand off with wild boar when solo running. I was assessing how quickly I could shin up a tree whilst we were waiting to see who would make the first move, me or them. Living dangerously, I stamped my foot and they turned and ran off. Loads of them in my local forest, there is an annual cull.

So what happened to you? You can't leave it there!

Rossendale Fusillers have a Running Boar range and jolly good it is too.

You will be astounded by a Boars capacity for cam and concealment, there capacity to run very, very ,fast and the odd little habit that they have of running towards you.

If on a driven shoot you will need a calibre that delivers a heavy bullet at some speed and a magazine capacity of at least three rounds.

Got to say I do like Wild Pig shooting a lot, I like eating Wild Pig a lot too.

Usually go to Ffrance when it's open and shoot "Cochonglier" as it's dirt cheap and just as much fun.

Sorry. Thought thread was a news item.

Mr Happy

LE
I think there is a running boar range at Bisley. My advice though is go across a few days early and get your host to book you time in a shooting cinema as it is money well spent.

Know the anatomy of the boar and also the lead you have to give them at the ranges your likely to encounter them as it’s easy to give them too much or too little lead. Listen to the briefing as to what you can and can’t shoot, shooting the big or lead sows is often frowned upon as the sounder works on a matriarchal system. A good/safe rule of thumb is if they are big and on their own it’ll most likely be a keiler - shoot, if they are in a large group shoot the small/medium sized ones first.

Whilst watching ‘Wild Boar Fever’ is all well and good it isn’t much help in the woods when you hear the dogs barking and see a pig running towards you as you forget everything you’ve watched and are not sponsored by the manufacturers with the best kit!!

What I would say is when your in the stand stay quiet and don’t switch off or make sudden movements, listen as they really are quite quiet unless they are at full trot with dogs on them and will move relatively slowly and stop and listen just inside cover so the shots aren’t always like in the fore mentioned film.

The best advice I got off my German mate who is pretty handy on a driven day is “When they are close (25m) and not going too fast a good start is to aim on the tip of the snout and work forward or back from there”.

It would be handy to know what the topography of the area is and rifle/scope combo you intend to use as this could save you or cost you money?
its a driven shoot and we're guests of the landowner so its all laid on. Ardennes area. I'll ping some more data when I get it, thanks for the guidance.

its a driven shoot and we're guests of the landowner so its all laid on. Ardennes area. I'll ping some more data when I get it, thanks for the guidance.
Are you taking your own rifle? If you are a good all round scope which isn’t ‘perfect’ but will cover all bases and you could use after would be any variable illuminated scope (to make it easier if in thick cover) with a range of 2.5-10x56 or if you’ve spare wedge and see you doing it again an illuminated 1-6x24 or similar would be about as perfect as you can get without going down the line of two scopes with swing off or QR mounts.

The lower mag is required when the stuff is close, 3-12 scopes aren’t ideal FYI as unfortunately 3 is just a bit much (not that you’d think it would make a difference but it does).

Latest Threads