Shooting Crows in North Devon

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by BiscuitsAB, Sep 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Guys

clients of mine have got a Major Crow problem and have been advised that as said corbies present a danger to health they will be allowed to shoot them.

So couple of questions. 1st. anyone in the Area prepared to do it for the price of their ammo and dinner. 2nd. Option for clients to get a SGC, is anyone down that way aware of the FAC/SGC licensing team? 3rd. Other than an SLR ( had to be done ) whats the best thing to shoot crows with?

cheers

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Shotguns are probably best, they can be decoyed and why not leave a notice up at the local clay club, may even make a few quid out of it!

3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have a similar problem and have shot crows succesfully with the following:

12g Purdey sxs - effective but too noisy, after 1 shot all the crows **** off, possibly a little outclassed for this sort of thing.
    Webley Tomahawk .22 air rifle (non FAC) - Does the job nicely but you need to be a decent shot and it's frustrating, I probably have a 50% success rate per shot, despite this it's my preferred crow basher because pellets are cheap and the rifle feels lovely. Also no licence required.
    Modded Ruger .17 HMR - Great piece of kit, great cartidge, expensive though, I also worry a little about where the unsuccessful bullets end up as I'm usually shooting the crows out of trees so I'm aiming up at about 45 degrees.

4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Not a bad idea a half dozen guns would be better than one.

5. Not had an issue with crows before but used to have loads of magpies around.

Air rifle solved the problem - take one Magpie down, hang it somewhere prominent and it gets the other one (its mate) to bugger off and seemed to be a good deterrent for the others to not move in.

6. I used to prefer shooting crows in Pirbright...

7. We have shed loads of crows and jackdaws up this way. the norm is to decoy them, plant out a load of crow decoys and hide behind a bit of cam net. If you can get 2-3 guns working over a farm and a bit of wind helps too (muffles the bang a bit).
    Crow decoys are expensive for what you get, i made a load with one decoy split in half up the casting seam and held back together with rubber bands, fill with cavity foam filler and when dry give them a coat of Halfords matt black, shove a wood peg up its hoop and hey presto! The more decoys the easier the crows are to pull!

Best way to reduce numbers is to get round the nests around hatching time with a rifle.

8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

didn't know you batted for that team mate. :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cow

Cow LE

10. It's not gay if you just do the ones that look like girls.

Much better than doing the girls that look like boys...that really is gay...

11. Are they not easy to zap when the are "branchers" probably wrong time of year

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

May was the traditional time for roost shooting, a bit of drey poking at the same time doesnt go amis.

13. Ever been to Deep Cut?

14. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Cheers. They are already on that path, I was just wondering if we have anyone down that neck of the woods that might be able to help them out.

15. What 'Danger to Health' would this bunch of Crows be?

Are they armed with GPMG's?

Do they 'mug' pensioners?