Shooting courses

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Scrote, Jan 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This may have been asked and answered before, but i cant be arrsed to look.
    Are they any shooting courses available to the TA? Not an Underwater Flamethrowers Instructor Course' as im just a lowly sprog.

2. Theres a "Shoot the lazy cnut who can't use the search button" course, starting now

3. Shooting... sensible answer...

Bang the terms RMQ , CMCQ etc into your search engine. However if you are as you put it a 'sprog' then you will find these courses require a set rank to attend.

Other than this you should see if your Sqn/Coy/Regiment has a shooting team. Making an interest in this known to your Troop/Platoon Commander should get the ball rolling for you to be signed up for the few weekends allocated to such things.

Otherwise I'm afraid you may be limited to the annual APWT or any live firing packages set up by your unit or regiment.

I'm sure someone else might be able to give you some more terms to slot into the search engine for the wealth of information that is held within the Arrse vaults.

As a suggestion, I would volunteer but I only know the basic courses and not the more exotic/lesser known ones, perhaps a Wiki page would be of use listing courses available to TA personnel. I of course will be happy to bang my very limited repertoire of such things into a page if someone would be so kind as to help a technofool like myself by creating one.

4. Don't know if the Sharpshooter course is still being run by your Bde STT?
    This is a Sniper on the cheap course and may be of interest, but you do have to be able to shoot accurately first. Not a thing that a lot of junior soldiers find easy!!!

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Does your Unit have a shooting team? If so this may be a good course of approach as they may run Tyros weekends.

And for the future consider yourself bloody lucky that you have not received more slating for this:

Next time don't be so bloody lazy and use the search function.

6. CMCQ (Combat Marksmanship Coaching Qualification) is a great course. By teaching you how to coach others in shooting, it improves your shooting, too. The minimum rank to do it is LCpl and you need to have done DITs (Defence Instructional Techniques - how to teach) beforehand.

I reckon it is one of the best teaching qualifications: at an early stage, it gives you a skill which you can pass on to others, as well as warry kudos from your peers for being a decent shot.

Another good thing about it is that it is usually fairly easy to get on the course. I'd really recommend that you did it first and then sought out the less well-known "Gucci" courses (sharpshooter, sniper, whatever).

London District RTC teach CMCQ really well, which might be another reason why I am so keen on the course. But I'm sure the other brigade RTCs make a decent job of it too.

RMQ (Range Management Qualification) doesn't really teach you about shooting: it's about paperwork and admin. Worth having, but not appropriate for you yet.

7. Don't bother! With the advent of MATTS, soldiers are only required to throw rounds at a target 3 feet away from them. You will find that because of this, unit's ammo entitlements have fallen drastically. Stop being a lazy cnut and see if there are any catapult or crossbow courses going!

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Echo everything in Dr Evil's above post reference CMCQ course and London District Training Team. If you're only likely to do one course in the immediate future it's well worth settling for this one.

9. if you don't mind the type of shooting, you will also find target pistol and target rifle courses.

10. G3Ops, you're such a sweetie. Ever seen "Curb Your Enthusiasm"?

11. cheers m8, that were helpful :thumright:
    dont really want to join my shooting team as their weekends tend to conflict with our normal training weekends, and ive been warned against it by pretty much everyone whose not in it. im a decent shot tho, dont mean to burst my own bubble but 61-65 is average for an APWT for me. mind ive only done 5-6.