Shooting at Mosque in Christchurch NZ

Good turnout at Westminster Abbey for the ANZAC Service attended by Duke of Gloucester, Kate and Harry. Positive references to the mosque shooting and a brief mention of Sri Lanka. Usual oddly dressed people attending including a,chat wearing a para beret with the badge over his nose and his ears tucked under the band. Placed a wreath, too.

The rationalisation of the RSAs has been going on for years now. There have been any number shut down or moved into existing clubs as an adjunct and their land and buildings sold off. This is because the numbers of returned servicemen/women are dropping rapidly. Also, the returned people are getting older, have less disposable income and do not drink as much as they may have once done, therefore the cash flow has dropped.
The RSAs that still remain are really only RSAs in name only, as they have allowed civilians with no service in just to maintain their cash flow and are just a small adjunct in their own clubs.
The returned people from the latest round of conflicts don't seem to be joining as they have other interests.
Basically, what RSAs remain, are asset rich and cash poor, hence the reason for closing the doors.
Another one, I think in Timaru, went tits up this week.
Was in Oz 18 mths ago and visited a number of RSL's as me and Mrs Ex. Impression was being run now as a sort of community hub for the area, on a commercial basis, food at reasonable to cheap price also drink. Same situation in Canada with RCL. Bearing in mind WW2 remaining vets now in 90's, Korea late 80's, in Oz and NZ Nam vets 70+. Oz,NZ and Canadian forces not big enough to provide the number of vets to keep the large number of clubs going, so you have to let Jo Public in on grounds that great grandad was WW2 vet or go under. Several RCL and RSL maintain excellent war museums with a lot of local connection. Cairns well worth a visit.

TRBL with their own property being closed to asset strip?

Was in Oz 18 mths ago and visited a number of RSL's as me and Mrs Ex. Impression was being run now as a sort of community hub for the area, on a commercial basis, food at reasonable to cheap price also drink. Same situation in Canada with RCL. Bearing in mind WW2 remaining vets now in 90's, Korea late 80's, in Oz and NZ Nam vets 70+. Oz,NZ and Canadian forces not big enough to provide the number of vets to keep the large number of clubs going, so you have to let Jo Public in on grounds that great grandad was WW2 vet or go under. Several RCL and RSL maintain excellent war museums with a lot of local connection. Cairns well worth a visit.

TRBL with their own property being closed to asset strip?
That is exactly what I stated, the Clubs are asset rich but cash poor.
The last time any large amount of ex-servicemen that were likely to use the clubs, thus put cash over the bar were WW11 people and bluntly there are very few of them left now and those that are left do not get out and about.
Ex-servicemen from Korea the same. There was not a very large contingent from NZ there, and they are knocking on (those that are left).
Similarly, NZ VN vets, small in number in the first place, only about 3600 served there all told and I have heard a figure mentioned that at least 50% of them have expired.
Two days ago another RSA announced its closure, that is two now in ten days.

The clubs that make a profit are safeish at the moment, but in the future????
In the last shake up about membership fees, clubs were given choice to stay in the RBL or go independent. Quite a few clubs bailed and became pub/clubs.
Have heard the odd buzz that when the last WW2 vets are departed TRBL will have problems keeping going.

It is lovely here - my first time here! People are a bit confused about my American accent though! :)

A lot of NZ food and wines...
And enjoying yourself remembering the fallen so much while you consume your weight in canapés and Steinlager that you've got time to tap on Arrse. Amazing multi-tasking skills there!

And enjoying yourself remembering the fallen so much while you consume your weight in canapés and Steinlager that you've got time to tap on Arrse. Amazing multi-tasking skills there!

To be fair it is breakfast time on that side of the globe.

Well there are pauses and lulls. :)

In all seriousness, it was a great evening - just got home. Met a few nice ladies etc. But most importantly was touched by the amazing presentation and speech they had about Gallipoli.

Latest Threads