Shooting at Mosque in Christchurch NZ

Meanwhile, the number of ANZAC day parades in Auckland will be dramatically reduced this year becasue of security concerns and the NZ Police's ability to cover them:
Auckland police want fewer Anzac Day events for public safety after Christchurch attacks
First point: if the Auckland police want this, will they get it?

Secondly: if fewer is safer, then surely none would be safest?

I would like to see Aucklandonians (?) bomburst all over the city at dawn on Anzasc Day and hold twice as many services as usual.

I would like to see Aucklandonians (?) bomburst all over the city 8at dawn on Anzasc Day and hold twice as many services as usual.
The Auckland City Council has, with the agreement of the RSA (=RBL) reduced the number of services across their region from about 80 to 25 or so. Some of these small services were particularly poignant - often commemorating staff from clubs, schools or companies who didn't return from the Great Adventure. Some are municipal services and some are at RSA Clubs. Sad as it may be , the Police have every reason to be cautious and a lot of the services were grief whoring/virtue signaling over ancestors' exploits, along with this trend to shine in reflected glory by wearing long-dead family members' medals. Now I'm a keen historian and I applaud remembrance of the war dead, but a lot of the commemoration can be mawkish, and as has been seen by the suggestion to have an Imam say a prayer at one small service, rabidly nationalist.

There's also pressure on the RSA to modernise and adapt; for years you could only be a member of you had served overseas but many had just become cheapish low quality drinking clubs. Now, I understand that the Service flavour is all but vacant from the clubs.

Last edited:

I would like to see Aucklandonians (?) bomburst all over the city at dawn on Anzasc Day and hold twice as many services as usual.
Aucklanders is the collective noun

There's also pressure on the RSA to modernise and adapt; for years you could only be a member of you had served overseas but many had just become cheapish low quality drinking clubs. Now, I understand that the Service flavour is all but vacant from the clubs.
The rationalisation of the RSAs has been going on for years now. There have been any number shut down or moved into existing clubs as an adjunct and their land and buildings sold off. This is because the numbers of returned servicemen/women are dropping rapidly. Also, the returned people are getting older, have less disposable income and do not drink as much as they may have once done, therefore the cash flow has dropped.
The RSAs that still remain are really only RSAs in name only, as they have allowed civilians with no service in just to maintain their cash flow and are just a small adjunct in their own clubs.
The returned people from the latest round of conflicts don't seem to be joining as they have other interests.
Basically, what RSAs remain, are asset rich and cash poor, hence the reason for closing the doors.
Another one, I think in Timaru, went tits up this week.

Yeah, you're right, 99.16% of MPs vote to ban the type of weapons used to murder innocent people. Virtue signallers.

I'm willing to bet if they voted to ban mosques you'd be happy with that decision?

The rationalisation of the RSAs has been going on for years now. There have been any number shut down or moved into existing clubs as an adjunct and their land and buildings sold off. This is because the numbers of returned servicemen/women are dropping rapidly. Also, the returned people are getting older, have less disposable income and do not drink as much as they may have once done, therefore the cash flow has dropped.
The RSAs that still remain are really only RSAs in name only, as they have allowed civilians with no service in just to maintain their cash flow and are just a small adjunct in their own clubs.
The returned people from the latest round of conflicts don't seem to be joining as they have other interests.
Basically, what RSAs remain, are asset rich and cash poor, hence the reason for closing the doors.
Another one, I think in Timaru, went tits up this week.
Thanks for the detail

why would they vote to ban mosques?
It wouldn't happen. I was just posting a hypothetical for counter-bluffer-ops to think about and decide if that would be 'virtue signalling' as well.

Yeah, you're right, 99.16% of MPs vote to ban the type of weapons used to murder innocent people. Virtue signallers.

I'm willing to bet if they voted to ban mosques you'd be happy with that decision?
Some of the weapons he used to murder innocent people.

Some of the weapons he used to murder innocent people.
I haven't looked into this in detail. Wiki reckons the murdering bastard had 5 firearms with him - 2 semi-automatics, 2 shotguns (no mention of what type) and a lever action rifle.

Any data on which weapons were actually used for the murders?

I haven't looked into this in detail. Wiki reckons the murdering bastard had 5 firearms with him - 2 semi-automatics, 2 shotguns (no mention of what type) and a lever action rifle.

Any data on which weapons were actually used for the murders?
His opener was 5 rounds from a shotgun, but the bulk of his spree was with a pair of AR15 type semi autos. 50 round dump from a drum followed by a few 40 rounders. He wasn’t carrying his other AR - he had to retrieve it from his car after he started to have stoppages, from cooking his gas system I expect.

I don’t think he would have done quite so much damage with just a couple of shotguns.

I'm afraid an awful lot of the RBL clubs have also gone to the wall as well. If they don't shut down, they've also turned into cheap drinking clubs.
We still have a lot of clubs, that are doing really well, Felixstowe is one good example. Entertainment most weekends. They have 3 or 4 Regimental reunions a year from different units, Royal Anglicans The Poachers comes to mind.

Latest Threads