Shooting at Mosque in Christchurch NZ

The coppers were armed.
The reason for them being armed are these.
All cop cars have firearms locked in a weapons safe in the boot in case they are required.
Generally, the police are not armed visibly but have the option to arm themselves if need be.
In the last three weeks prior to this incident, there had been a couple of incidents of the local crims in ChCh using firearms against the Police, which were in no way related to this outrage.
The Police Commissioner had given permission for all cops in the Canterbury area to be armed at all times. As far as I can ascertain, that permission was still in effect.
That may also explain why so many firearms were readily available to the cops last Friday.
This is the latest of arming of the Police in NZ, it had to happen I suppose.

Police around the country will continue to carry guns for the foreseeable future, while the National Threat Level remains at high.

All frontline police officers in all regions - rural and urban - have been instructed by Police Commissioner Mike Bush to carry guns while on duty "until we are satisfied that the risk to the community is reduced".

A police spokesperson said they could not give a specific timeframe on when that might be.

Police are unlikely to rescind the order to carry guns until the National Threat Level is lowered, which is a decision that lies with the cross-agency Combined Threat Assessment Group (CTAG).

All officers are carrying a Glock 17 pistol in their holsters, and have a Bushmaster M4 semi-automatic rifle in each police car. Officers tasked with protecting specific people and areas are carrying the Bushmaster on patrol.

Under normal circumstances, police in New Zealand carry pepper spray, batons, and tasers, though all are trained with the Glock and Bushmaster.

Police Association President Chris Cahill said that arming police officers meant the public could have more assurance knowing that police could respond to situations immediately, and reduce the possibility of copycat attacks.

In a 2017 survey of frontline police officers, 73 per cent said they would prefer to carry a firearm while on patrol.

Cahill said that "in general" the police association supported arming frontline officers.

Suspected retaliatory attacks?
I don't think so, but they would be remiss if they weren't prepared for something.
Arming the cops fulltime eventually had to happen here, I would think that they would be one of the few forces worldwide who haven't been visibly armed.

Fair enough. I'd be on my toes around any gathering of people though, shopping malls, churches and so on. I get the idea the targets in the last attack are better organised than the lone wolf loony who did it and payback will likely take place in NZ itself, along with incidents elsewhere. These blokes are still sour about shit that happened in the middle ages and grudges are treasured and passed down like family heirlooms.

It's fortunate that moderates on both sides outnumber the true believer loons, but the head cases on one particular side tend to take their magic pixie a bit more literally.

Fair enough. I'd be on my toes around any gathering of people though, shopping malls, churches and so on. I get the idea the targets in the last attack are better organised than the lone wolf loony who did it and payback will likely take place in NZ itself, along with incidents elsewhere. These blokes are still sour about shit that happened in the middle ages and grudges are treasured and passed down like family heirlooms.

It's fortunate that moderates on both sides outnumber the true believer loons, but the head cases on one particular side tend to take their magic pixie a bit more literally.
Ah, I see the old mental elf trick.

Yup. Appears to be a trend lately. Must be something in the water. Probably better if we stick to beer for the time being.

It is a sad indictment of society in New Zealand that the NZ Police - based very much on the British model of policing by consent - has the need to be visibly armed (albeit weapons have been carried in cars for over 30 years). It will be brave commissioner to issue the order to be down-armed - which would be an invitation for copy-cat terrorist attacks and (more) armed criminality.

Apparently a Mosque leader in New Zealand blaming the Christchurch shooting Mossad surrounded by the usual crowd advocating love whilst screeching hate.....

Are Crusaders considering a name change in light of the mosque attack?
Crusaders respond to those urging a name change in wake of Christchurch massacre
Sorry, while I have great sympathy for the victims, this is going just a tad to far from the hand-wringers.
FFS, if you're going down that road, why worry about the name of the rugby club when the city is named CHRISTchurch! Surely if it's such an emotive issue, no self-respecting Muslim would live in such a kaffir name-checked location. Perhaps the city should be renamed 'Mohammedmosque'?

FFS, if you're going down that road, why worry about the name of the rugby club when the city is named CHRISTchurch! Surely if it's such an emotive issue, no self-respecting Muslim would live in such a kaffir name-checked location. Perhaps the city should be renamed 'Mohammedmosque'?
Do not, and I repeat do not, put ideas into peoples heads.

Another potential corporate manslaughter liability case, in addition to the obvious?

'When the gunman began to attack the Al Noor mosque, Ahmed Alayedy scrambled to get to the nearest emergency exit. He was the first one there. “I tried to open the door,” he said. “But it doesn’t open.” Mr Alayedy, 30, and other survivors of the March 15 mosque attacks in New Zealand have described to The Associated Press a scene of confusion and terror at the door on one side of the main prayer room, in the first accounts of the role the door played.

'Mr Alayedy said so many people began crushing him against the door that some of his ribs cracked. Another survivor, Khaled Alnobani, says he thinks as many as 17 people may have died trying to get out through the door. Investigators have likely examined a new electric locking system installed on the door in the days before the attack. The mosque says an electrician disabled that system the day before the attack, although some of those who escaped question whether that was the case. What is clear is that nobody managed to open the door that afternoon. With the gunman in the middle of the room, the door represented the only escape route for those on one side of him, at least until people started smashing windows to get out.'

Horror mistake may have trapped shooting victims

I saw some cnuts writing on a supposedly-reputable news feed that Christchurch was named after some Uni place.
They forget the Bournemouth area.'Yes, this was the same mob who wrote that NZ had some of the toughest gun laws in the world.
The media? Bunch of fuckwits ...
The city was named after Christchurch, Oxford.

Archaeological evidence has indicated that the Christchurch area was first settled by humans in about 1250. Christchurch became a city by Royal Charter on 31 July 1856, making it officially the oldest established city in New Zealand. The Canterbury Association, which settled the Canterbury Plains, named the city after Christ Church, Oxford. The new settlement was laid out in a grid pattern centred on Cathedral Square; during the 19th century there were few barriers to the rapid growth of the urban area, except for the Pacific to the east and the Port Hills to the south.

Is the headgear standard for NZ Pol firearms units or just the women?

View attachment 383597
It is in the same vein as that worn by the NZPM. I don't think it does anyone any favours as it sends mixed messages.

She (the NZPM) isn't a Moslem so why does she feel the need to put a headscarf on? It plays into the hands of the XRW. It also trivialises her own genuine grief at the outrage.

Compare this piece of political theatre with the position of many western countries when visiting Saudi Arabia, when it is apparently official policy for visiting women NOT to wear headscarves to make the point that the wearing of such apparel should be a matter of choice.

Latest Threads