Shooting at Mosque in Christchurch NZ

I would be interested to know why a local Muslim was walking around with a firearm.
no different from me in NZ then????

practically where ever i go here I have a gun in the car because of all the shooting I do.

Yeah, that did strike me as odd, given New Zealand's gun laws. Probably more to follow on that one once this situation's been ended.

you can kiss goodbye to everything except bolt action rifles for hunting from now on.

NZ gun laws are stupid, and this is a direct result because of it.

In the middle of the day and in the middle of Christchurch?
the well known local muslim bloke is a very keen and well known clay target shooter, who lives very close to his mosque.

Police Commissioner has just been interviewed on TV and states he cannot dismiss the fact that further attacks may be carried out over the country in the next 48 hrs.

you can kiss goodbye to everything except bolt action rifles for hunting from now on.

NZ gun laws are stupid, and this is a direct result because of it.
The photos on social media are not of ten round magazines. In the short part of the video I saw, it looks like he initially had two 30 round magazines, with a proper magazine link being used. Stupid question but is there access, to such items in NZ? Internet purchases?

The photos on social media are not of ten round magazines. In the short part of the video I saw, it looks like he initially had two 30 round magazines, with a proper magazine link being used. Stupid question but is there access, to such items in NZ? Internet purchases?
there are several levels of license in NZ, on a basic "A" cat you can have centrefire semi-autos, as long as they have no pistol grip and you only use a max 7 shot mag.....and you dont have to register them.
several of the wpns used by the gunman are "A" class, they have custom thumbhole stocks on them to circumvent the law, and then hes just stuck hi-cap mags on them.
people illegally import them in the post.
pump action and semiauto hi capacity shotguns are just on the basic "A" cat.

I've been listening in NZ radio they are talking the possibly of it being bigger than Aramoana

It already is.

I knew David Gray, he used to frequent the gunshop I was working in at the time. Many folk had complained about him yet nothing was done.

Last edited:
There is one account of one gunmen who went up and shot a woman twice in the head, who had been wounded and was crawling out of the mosque. He then drove over her as he left in his car.

I lived in Christchurch from 1985 to 1987, doing my officer and flying training. This attack, or at least this series of attacks, sickens me to the core.

I am avoiding posting the usual guff on Facebook to friends and family out there. It just seems cress and inadequate…

Kiwis, including immigrants, are a resilient lot. However I am concerned that an attack on this scale will encourage copycat attacks in Australia, perhaps even in the United Kingdom. And this could lead to a cycle of reprisals and further terrorist attacks. I am surprised that none of the reporting refers to the incidents in Christchurch as terrorism - because that’s what these attacks are.

Last edited:
I suppose in a way we should be grateful that white supremacist types tend to be knuckle dragging types - They will be quickly rounded up and dealt with - there isn't going to be an ongoing terror campaign from the shadows.

I hope they rot in a truly unpleasant jail somewhere

There is one account of one gunmen who went up and shot a woman twice in the head, who had been wounded and was crawling out of the mosque. He then drove over her as he left in his car.

I lived in Christchurch from 1985 to 1987, doing my officer and flying training. This attack, or at least this series of attacks, sickens me to the core.
I personally don't care which sky fairy anyone follows, but it causes me great concern that this happened in this green and generally pleasant land, I don't like to see anyone massacred.

social media reports saying this bloke is a local idiot who walks around all the time in full Dpm, and he was there to pick up his kid from the school.

muppets lucky not to have been shot.

I suppose in a way we should be grateful that white supremacist types tend to be knuckle dragging types - They will be quickly rounded up and dealt with - there isn't going to be an ongoing terror campaign from the shadows.

I hope they rot in a truly unpleasant jail somewhere
That's a simplistic way of looking at the problem. Evidently there's something pathologically wrong with society in general, given the increase in the number of alienated, and frustrated, young men and women being drawn to extreme positions and becoming radicalised to the extent of murdering people.
They're alienated, frustrated and the support structures (family community, etc.) no longer exist to reign these people in.

Latest Threads