Shooting at Mosque in Christchurch NZ

'Evolving situation' in Christchurch

Ongoing situation right now, Shooting at a Mosque in Christchurch NZ.

2 bodies on the ground, dozens of shots fired, cops are looking for the perpetrator.

Police are attending an "evolving situation" in Christchurch after an incident near Hagley Park.

Gunshots had reportedly been heard in the area outside the Christchurch Mosque on Deans Ave.

A witness reported hearing at least 20 gunshots and saw what she thought was three people on the ground.

Deans Ave has been cordoned off and members of the armed offenders squad are in the area.

Christchurch Girls' High School has reportedly been placed into lockdown.

The former president of the Muslim Association of Canterbury Mohammed Jama said a man with a gun went into the mosque about 1.40pm on Friday.

He saw about four people injured and two people lying on the ground. He did not know if they were alive or dead.
will update asap.

Multiple shootings at mosques in Christchurch, at least 1 dead

"I saw people jumping over the back fence of the mosque into Oakward Close. I heard at least 20 [gunshots]."

"I heard about eight at the start and then it went quiet for about 30 seconds or a minute and then it started again. I heard about eight more and then there was another minute and another eight," Jellie said.

Its easy to get a large cal semi-auto with a restricted mag of 7 rounds in NZ. and they are not registered....... so there is a strawman purchasing problem here.

Mar 15, 2019 2:54 PM
Stuff Editors

Witness saw wife lying dead on footpath
A man, who would not give his name, said he was praying in the mosque when he heard the shooting started.
He managed to escape, but outside saw his wife lying dead on the footpath.
“My wife is dead,” he said, waling. Head supported by other Muslim men who prayed for him.
Another man said he saw children being shot.
Dozens of people were shot by a man wearing military uniform, who emptied at least two magazines.
“There were bodies all over me.”
A resident on Freyberg St said she heard “hundreds” of shots and it was “terrifying”.A man, who would not give his name, said he was praying in the mosque when he heard the shooting started.
He managed to escape, but outside saw his wife lying dead on the footpath.
“My wife is dead,” he said, waling. Head supported by other Muslim men who prayed for him.
Another man said he saw children being shot.

From various reports, this is obviously fact.
How bad it will turn out to be, remains to be seen.
For this to happen in NZ leaves me stunned to be frank.

Armed police are now at a second mosque in another suburb in Ch Ch.

Several people are reported to have been killed in shootings at two mosques in Christchurch. Police say a serious and evolving situation continues with an active shooter. Schools are in lockdown and people told to stay inside.
multiple gunman, at least one still at large.

Just been reported, shots have been fired at the main hospital.

Apparently one of the gunmen live streamed the shooting using a body cam. The **** wit. I am not going to post it. It's crazy.

Shooting confirmed at a second mosque in a different suburb.

The RNZ equivalent to Steve Wright is having to do interviews with various people who were in the 2nd mosque, poor bugger. Two locations are Deans Street and Linwood - Google maps suggests that these are about 15 minutes apart by car

Conflicting reports as to whether the two incidents occurred simultaneously, and talk of a car with bullet holes in the windscreen being seen speeding to/away from the scene of one of the incidents from one of the reporters, although he says that the situation is (understandably unclear).

Multiple accounts of schools and shopping malls in lockdown.

They've just (0229Z) had one of the senior local muslim leaders on air; he suggests that he's had reports from those who survived the attacker expended six magazines from an assault rifle during the first attack (at Dean's Avenue), although the DJ is tactfully making the point that the information may not be entirely accurate.

A slightly less distressed witness who was in the vicinity says he reckons that there were at least 20 shots. The firearms teams appear busy going around ensuring that buildings are in lockdown, including schools and the hospital.

Mar 15, 2019 2:17 PM
Stuff Editors

What we know:
* A witness inside the Christchurch mosque said a man came in with an automatic rifle and shot people
* Witnesses said they heard "a bunch of shots" on Deans Ave. The road was cordoned off about 2.20pm
* Eyewitnesses reported several have been killed, though officials have not confirmed this
* Stuff understands the emergency department at Christchurch Hospital had been cleared out. Hospital staff were expecting about 40 to 50 injured people
* A roadblock has been set up at the Aldwins Rd and Linwood Ave intersection
* About 20 armed police are clearing buildings in Linwood, across from Eastgate Mall
* Police are warning people to stay indoors and to report any suspicious behaviour to 111.
* All Christchurch schools have been put on lockdown

multiple gunmen involved. unconfirmed reports of shots being fired from a car that was chasing people..

Having seen the stream I hope NZ 'them' show the perps when cornered the same mercy they showed their victims.

there are dozens dead.

the gunman had several wpns, all were covered in writing, including his mags, looks like bible verses.

Latest Threads