Shooters Hill, Time Team and the defences of London in WW2

As with every factor of WWII things become more and more intriguing the more you look into them.

Who knew that Lagonda made flamethrower vehicles*: Lagonda flamethrower - Wikipedia

(^ that also indicates why the AA flamethrower might not have been such a stupid idea after all).

The Petroleum Warfare Department didn't just look at ways of blowing things up in mighty fireballs and torching Germans. They were also responsible for sensible stuff like PLUTO and FIDO.

(*Apart from the bloke who wrote the Wiki page)

I want to look at the PWE in a book as I believe no ones done it yet. It's one of my topics (Other two are the Vickers Medium and the Home Guard) for after I've finished the Second World War British rocket book.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The Ladies Bridge ( Waterloo ) partially finished in early 1942 , had explosive charges built into the pillars, just in case the Austrian House painter decided to tour
it was well know that this would be the route of his triumphal entrance into the City of London ( not very very long I would imagine)
it was the only bridge actually hit by fatty goerings team
and the temporary iron bridge alongside it was removed and rebuilt at Remagen !
also the bridge where Gorgi Markov got whacked with a brolly
and made famous in the lovely song by the Kinks, Waterloo Sunset

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Obvious question - did the powers-that-be remember to remove them?
Yes , my Father and Grandfather attended the official opening, at one end the dignitaries were ready make the journey amidst a cheering crowd, but a teenager on a pushbike, wiggled through at the last second and pedaled across so taking the honour amidst much cheering
Herbert Morrison opened it , the same man who designed the Morrison Shelter

I want to look at the PWE in a book as I believe no ones done it yet. It's one of my topics (Other two are the Vickers Medium and the Home Guard) for after I've finished the Second World War British rocket book.

Not a bad idea. Having just spent few hours looking around there does not appear to be a comprehensive study of the department.

The books referenced in the wiki page are not easy to get online and none of them appear to be comprehensive or dedicated. I have a couple of books (both entitled Secret Weapons) which have a few mentions but that is about it.

There is some good colour film here though: PETROLEUM WARFARE MATERIAL [Main Title]

Last edited:
it was the only bridge actually hit by fatty goerings team

Not strictly true.

Kew Bridge has some scratches and dents from a German bomber. It was bounced by an RAF fighter, dropped its bombs into the Thames/onto the bridge and scarpered.

The bridge (being several thousand tons of Portland stone) didn't really notice the tiny bombs. From memory, it put a small crater in the tarmac but that was filled in sharpish.

Extent of damage:
1629042796341.png

They faced resistance when they strolled through France via tree lined boulevards and avenues (obviously not counting the many millions of members of the Maquis)?
Ebay.fr has a French WW2 rifle for sale

Never used, only dropped once

Not strictly true.

Kew Bridge has some scratches and dents from a German bomber. It was bounced by an RAF fighter, dropped its bombs into the Thames/onto the bridge and scarpered.

The bridge (being several thousand tons of Portland stone) didn't really notice the tiny bombs. From memory, it put a small crater in the tarmac but that was filled in sharpish.

Extent of damage:
View attachment 596792
I must have driven past that loads of times on my way to the National Archives, and never seen it.

I must have driven past that loads of times on my way to the National Archives, and never seen it.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I lived nearby and walked across Kew Bridge many thousands of times.

I only found out it was bombed about five years ago.

Even when I actually looked for it the damage was fairly unnoticeable.

Latest Threads