Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai. Don't buy until they've fixed it.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by CRmeansCeilingReached, Mar 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What a ******* disappointment. In short, it's been released with a crash which stops tons of people from playing it - Total War forum boards are inundated with people who can't get past the startup / splash screen. Furthermore, the patch that was released at the same time means that many people who were happily playing Shogun 2 now can't get it to work.

Since Thursday I've uninstalled / reinstalled about 8 times, had to reinstall all drivers, update BIOS, uninstall Google Chrome and attempt any number of workarounds suggested by the tech geeks.

In short, it won't ******* work and now I can't play Shogun 2 either. I've been a Total War fan since the very first incarnation and have always bought every expansion etc, usually on pre-order. it's mugs like me that make this company believe they can release half-ready, inadequately tested shite that crashes for x% of players.

and before anyone asks, I very much doubt it's my PC spec. I build my own to good specs - Nvidia GTX 580, i7 2600K processor, 8GB Corsair RAM, Windows 7 (64 bit), SSD etc. not had any problems with any other games in the last 12 months, and can play all current games at top graphic detail without any probs.

so, my recommendation - wait till they've patched it before buying. will update this thread when they do.
  2. I have to say that Shogun 2 was a huge disappointment to me altogether. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but after Empire and Napoleon, I found Shogun to be...... boring.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Me too. I've gone back to playing Empire, but there's only so much satisfaction to be had in destroying the Spanish and French before 1799 :)
  4. Actually, I've gone back to playing Medieval 2. But I'm playing the Third Age total conversion, that turns the game into Tolkien's Middle Earth.
  5. snigger.
  6. *hangs head in shame* Honnist, I will kiss a girl someday.
  7. Although I'm a big TW fan, I didn't get Shogun 2, the era doesn't light my rockets. Glad in some ways I didn't. Instead, I've been experimenting with the various mods for earlier games from the Total War Centre (TWC), some of which are excellent. The Napoleon All-in-one mod, Mediaeval 2 retrofit mod are both good and Roma Surrectum 2 is epic; much more challenging than the original and completely new graphics, well up to MTW2 standard and with a mass of updated units, including 28 different Roman legions. I'm burning the midnight oil over this one at the moment.

Hopefully this will tide me over until the next full game comes out, probably early next year (I'd like an Empire 2, but most bets are on Rome 2, or possibly a game set in the C19th).

8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I actually binned Shogun 2 due to the utter tedium of it and went back to the aged (but still brilliant) Rome TW.

Just checked on Steam -

Shogun 2 - 63 total hours played
    Rome - 397 total hours played

It must be bad when an ancient old creaker pisses all over the beautiful but dull newcomer.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I bought it last week, played it and although it looks cool it's pish. Wish I hadn't bothered.

I'm glad I still have my Shogun Total War : Warlord edition.
  10. I find myself nodding in agreement with many of the comments in this thread: Shogun 2 is lovely eye candy and probably repays some time invested in it but I too find it a bit tedious. As for the game FoS being broken that is a liberty and will cost the makers dear in customer goodwill. Could be a sign of dollar signs overuling coding, wasn't the company taken over by one of the big boys of the industry a couple of years ago? FoS sounds similar to the game broken on release scenario Tripwire Interactive had with RO2 which is only getting about 600 players daily for what was a much awaited game that is only seven months old.

If there is to be a new Total War title I'd like to see either a best possible remake of Rome or a new game based on either the English Civil War or the American Civil war. Those wars offer much gaming potential.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Funny enough, i too have gone back to Rome, it makes Shitgun 2 look crap
  12. Rome remake, has to be. Still the most engaging of the series.
  13. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I refuse to buy another version once they linked it to the steam system, total ball ache - if I buy a game i want to own the game, not the rights to play it if the server feels like it wants to let me and only if it's installed the most upto date 'patch'

14. I wish they'd simply spend a bit of time and money rolling out updates to Total War; that game could go on and on if the AI was sharpened up.

ETW is my default game when I've finished other games and am waiting for a new title to come out. I used to fill in with Fallout New Vegas, but then discovered it was possible to kill every single living thing on all the maps, which makes it a bit lonely wandering around with nothing to do...
  15. could you be less specific? :)