Shoes for weightlifting - are boxing boots good enough or need I splash out?

I've been weightlifting since April 14th, and although my running shoes have been ok for my rookie lifts I know one ought to be using flat-surfaced shoes with minimal 'spring'. Although there are dedicated weightlifting shoes eg ADIDAS adipower Unisex Weightlifting Boots: Amazon.co.uk: Shoes & Accessories
these are bloody expensive. From what I can discern the real requirements are sturdiness and flat soles, and a friend recommended I investigate boxing shoes as a more economical substitute.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0047OPKXW/?tag=armrumser-21
These seem to fit the bill, although I'm concerned they may be a bit restrictive at the top of the foot.

I would be appreciative of any advice. :p

I wear Do-Wins. Cheap and Chinese but great for anything that needs a flat forefoot and elevated heel. For general lifting I wear a set of inov-8 bare-xf210, brilliant shoes.

Chuck Taylors, plimsolls, ballet pumps, i don't know why they need to be sturdy, they just need to be flat and stable especially for squats. A cushioned heel puts extra strain on your knees when doing a squat. Those boots look OK but any pair of flat soled shoes are fine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wellyhead Health and Fitness 24
A The NAAFI Bar 0
E Weapons, Equipment & Rations 0