Shoes for weightlifting - are boxing boots good enough or need I splash out?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Captain Cnutflap, May 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been weightlifting since April 14th, and although my running shoes have been ok for my rookie lifts I know one ought to be using flat-surfaced shoes with minimal 'spring'. Although there are dedicated weightlifting shoes eg ADIDAS adipower Unisex Weightlifting Boots: Amazon.co.uk: Shoes & Accessories
    these are bloody expensive. From what I can discern the real requirements are sturdiness and flat soles, and a friend recommended I investigate boxing shoes as a more economical substitute.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0047OPKXW/?tag=armrumser-21
    These seem to fit the bill, although I'm concerned they may be a bit restrictive at the top of the foot.

I would be appreciative of any advice. :p

2. I wear Do-Wins. Cheap and Chinese but great for anything that needs a flat forefoot and elevated heel. For general lifting I wear a set of inov-8 bare-xf210, brilliant shoes.

3. Chuck Taylors, plimsolls, ballet pumps, i don't know why they need to be sturdy, they just need to be flat and stable especially for squats. A cushioned heel puts extra strain on your knees when doing a squat. Those boots look OK but any pair of flat soled shoes are fine.

4. Superb; just ordered a set of the ones in the OP. I've asked other forums and whatnot also and there's general consensus that they're good 'uns. Many thanks for all input.