Shoebury dit - November 76?

#1
A well-known and much-loved governement department was to set up a computer centre in land close to the Chapel. The story goes that :-

We had asked about the vibrations from Shoebury range 'big bangs'. PSA called in the experts to investigate. They made 9 unsuccessful attempts to detonate some land mines and finally abandoned that test.

They then intended to measure the effect of 20 rounds fired from the Army's biggest gun. Rounds 1 & 2 did not give good results as the instruments were incorrectly adjusted. Rounds 3 to 6 were fired successfully. Round 7 was fired without being monitored snd it was then that the report was received that the rounds so far fired had not landed in the target area, nor had they been seen on the tracking radar. The shoot was then abandoned !!.

If anyone finds 7 shells the Army would be pleased to hear from you.
Does any of this ring bells ?.
 
#2
whiffler said:
A well-known and much-loved governement department was to set up a computer centre in land close to the Chapel. The story goes that :-

We had asked about the vibrations from Shoebury range 'big bangs'. PSA called in the experts to investigate. They made 9 unsuccessful attempts to detonate some land mines and finally abandoned that test.

They then intended to measure the effect of 20 rounds fired from the Army's biggest gun. Rounds 1 & 2 did not give good results as the instruments were incorrectly adjusted. Rounds 3 to 6 were fired successfully. Round 7 was fired without being monitored snd it was then that the report was received that the rounds so far fired had not landed in the target area, nor had they been seen on the tracking radar. The shoot was then abandoned !!.

If anyone finds 7 shells the Army would be pleased to hear from you.
Does any of this ring bells ?.
Gunner mode on/

I thought the whole point of the proving ranges at Shoeburyness was:

1. The shells didn't go bang and could be recovered from the sand at low tide in order to inspect them for damage.
2. When they wanted a bang, the sand and water absorbed the shock wave such that the local population were not unduly affected.

Gunner mode off/

Litotes
 
#3
Litotes said:
I thought the whole point of the proving ranges at Shoeburyness was:

1. The shells didn't go bang and could be recovered from the sand at low tide in order to inspect them for damage.
2. When they wanted a bang, the sand and water absorbed the shock wave such that the local population were not unduly affected.
1. Only if you fire without fuze and at the correct QE/charge
2. The range is currently under a series of 'noise' rules which can(and have) stopped trials from going ahead because of the level of noise - mainly from the gun end, but also from the far end. They even have a computer simulation which they use to predict it depending on weather conditions.

S_R

p.s. still pissed off at 3 days of my life wasted in southen-on-sea because we were too noisy.
 
#4
Sympathetic_Reaction said:
Litotes said:
I thought the whole point of the proving ranges at Shoeburyness was:

1. The shells didn't go bang and could be recovered from the sand at low tide in order to inspect them for damage.
2. When they wanted a bang, the sand and water absorbed the shock wave such that the local population were not unduly affected.
1. Only if you fire without fuze and at the correct QE/charge
2. The range is currently under a series of 'noise' rules which can(and have) stopped trials from going ahead because of the level of noise - mainly from the gun end, but also from the far end. They even have a computer simulation which they use to predict it depending on weather conditions.

S_R

p.s. still pissed off at 3 days of my life wasted in southen-on-sea because we were too noisy.
I was there in my youth... and more recently, on the AS90 trials (20 years ago now - how time flies!). There were noise issues even then.

I admit to being surprised that the range is still active; I hadn't seen anything about it for ages. However, it's been used for trials for years and where else in this small, crowded island do you go to trial weapons and ammunition?

Litotes
 
#5
Litotes said:
I admit to being surprised that the range is still active; I hadn't seen anything about it for ages. However, it's been used for trials for years and where else in this small, crowded island do you go to trial weapons and ammunition?
There were threats to close it at one point...very few places to go test the big guns anymore...Eskmeals and Shoeburyness the main long ranges - Aberporth is closed for that sort of thing. You can do some stuff inland (risdale, otterburn, the plains) but you are limited on your options.

Been a while since I've been there myself, stopped testing artillery myself years ago.

S_R
 
#6
Sympathetic_Reaction said:
Litotes said:
I admit to being surprised that the range is still active; I hadn't seen anything about it for ages. However, it's been used for trials for years and where else in this small, crowded island do you go to trial weapons and ammunition?
There were threats to close it at one point...very few places to go test the big guns anymore...Eskmeals and Shoeburyness the main long ranges - Aberporth is closed for that sort of thing. You can do some stuff inland (risdale, otterburn, the plains) but you are limited on your options.

Been a while since I've been there myself, stopped testing artillery myself years ago.

S_R
You can't toddle out and collect the round from the other ranges you have named!

Litotes
 
#7
Litotes said:
You can't toddle out and collect the round from the other ranges you have named!

Litotes
True, Eskmeals has some benefits, nice for long range stuff...Shoeburyness has max limits I think...and tends to annoy London city Airport.

COTEC - near Devises can do vertical recovery....fire directly upwards, then recover the shell when it comes back down..

Shoebury is fun for recovery...it used to be cold in some old Russia things, but they have BV206's nowadays...luxury.

S_R
 
#8
Sympathetic_Reaction said:
Litotes said:
You can't toddle out and collect the round from the other ranges you have named!

Litotes
True, Eskmeals has some benefits, nice for long range stuff...Shoeburyness has max limits I think...and tends to annoy London city Airport.

COTEC - near Devises can do vertical recovery....fire directly upwards, then recover the shell when it comes back down..

Shoebury is fun for recovery...it used to be cold in some old Russia things, but they have BV206's nowadays...luxury.

S_R
I thought the whole point of Shoeburyness was that you fired the round (less fuze) into an area at high tide, waited for low tide and hauled it back for scientific inspection. How can a round fired upwards above SPTA survive the subsequent impact with SPTA and provide enough evidence to keep the scientific bods happy?

I thought a round fired at Eskmeals sank into a couple of hundred feet of water and was never seen again!

Litotes
 
#9
Litotes said:
I thought the whole point of Shoeburyness was that you fired the round (less fuze) into an area at high tide, waited for low tide and hauled it back for scientific inspection. How can a round fired upwards above SPTA survive the subsequent impact with SPTA and provide enough evidence to keep the scientific bods happy?

I thought a round fired at Eskmeals sank into a couple of hundred feet of water and was never seen again!

Litotes
You can't recover from Eskmeal correct...but if you need long range firing then Eskmeals is your best bet as Shoeburyness annoys the Aircraft and boats in the area over 17km.

Never used COTEC vertical recovery system...but there is a range in Germany that uses a Sand trap to capture into...at about 5km range...I assume COTEC is similar and aim to land in soft ground..*edit* just checked the website and it's mainly for fuze checks as it lands base first.

S_R
 
#10
I don't think any impact or launch bangs were required - they just wanted Shoebury to do its worst while monitoring equipment was in place.

However, as someone working in Sarfend-on-Mud, I can confirm that 5 miles away we often hear (and feel) firing - although nothing like as frequently as in the past.

We also get the RE disposal courses making their presence felt over on the Kent coast (can't be arrsed to check whether it's coast of Kent or Kentish coast).

Time will tell whether we'll actually hear the Montgomery when it goes up.
 
#11
Errm - all of you can the feck right off Gunner mode. Arty was tested as SHB for a number of reasons including Over Water Recovery (OWR), fuze proof, propellant proof and experimental firings. Same for tank guns and cannon.
It also had RE (mines, structures etc,) RN - torpedoes, ships magazines etc and RAF - aircraft trials etc. It did more static trials of non-RA equipment etc than anything else and was - and is - the busiest PEE Range in the UK by a long chalk. It was considered by all (including the USA) as a world leader. It also does ammo disposal and training.

Now its run by a bunch of cnuts - Qinetiq! :evil:
 
#13
whiffler said:
I don't think any impact or launch bangs were required - they just wanted Shoebury to do its worst while monitoring equipment was in place.

However, as someone working in Sarfend-on-Mud, I can confirm that 5 miles away we often hear (and feel) firing - although nothing like as frequently as in the past.

We also get the RE disposal courses making their presence felt over on the Kent coast (can't be arrsed to check whether it's coast of Kent or Kentish coast).

Time will tell whether we'll actually hear the Montgomery when it goes up.
Don't worry about that ship, mate; you won't know anything about it and it will be the rest of us who have to endure the media coverage for a few days, or until some minor 'sleb from a long-dead pop band prematurely expires! :D

It should considerably improve the area, though!

Lits
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SteveRush Gunners 94
diplomat RLC 18
O The Intelligence Cell 7

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads