shoe bulling

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by gun-bunny, Apr 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I spent ages bulling my no. 2 shoes, used all the usual techniques - several layers of polish, small circles, water bulling, dark tan poilish etc. They looked great after a lot of work, but when I came to put them on and started marching in them, all the polish started flaking off and they looked crap.

Can anyone tell me what i did wrong and how to stop it happening again. Don't have to wear them for another 6 weeks so got plenty time to sort them out.

Cheers, GB
  2. Oh dear are you going to get some choice replies. Maybe a quick search for 'bulling' would help you.

edited for mongtype
  3. Follow the links clicky

Courtesy of the_butler.
  4. yes thanks, i've followed these guidelines and advice from my PSIs before, but still had this problem. I know this topic has been covered before, but to be fair, so has most of the stuff on ARRSE.
    No one makes you reply to posts if you don't want to Lofty
    • Like Like x 1
  5. It's not a problem I've ever had but have seen others with it. Taking a logical approach could it possibly too much polish not enough moisture during the bulling process? Oh and something from the very back of my mind recalls people with a similar problem walking in the shoes between layers to check for flaking. I'm sure all ideas are on here somewhere in the bulling threads.
  6. I have said enough on this subject so will not comment.
  7. Doh..... I just commented didn't I.

Ah well bull your shoes
    wear your shoes
    brush polish your shoes
    bull your shoes
    that's it really unless you want me to do them.
  8. Thanks butler. When would be a good time for you to do them?
  9. find a Gurkha, they do everything in bulled boots even PT. Get one of them to do it
  11. Well I know I'm only a thick ex-jenny but we did 'burn' the polish on.
    1. smother shoe/boot with polish
    2. flick the lighter over polish
    3. spit and small rotating with index finger
    Came up like glass every time. In fact during one home leave, cleaned my brothers boots for him. Although his next parade he did say 'never clean 'em again' He was asked by his CO did he think he was on 'bloody victor slyvester come dancing!
  12. thanks, Butler but i'll do em myself - much more satisfying that way, plus i'm a poor student ;)
  13. I hope I don't sound rude but... What the Fcuk do you want to bull your shoes for?
  14. If you didn't want to sound rude you would not have used a vulgarism. :roll:
    Just an observation. :D