Shock Report - Africa 'can feed itself in a generation'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Fat_Cav, Dec 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A 'new' report says that Africa can feed itself within a generation as long as the corrupt and apathetic governements decide that investing in it's country should actually come before nepotism, brutal defeat of the political opposition and plundering the nations wealth for personal gain. (OK I embellished the main reason, bit but I suspect that the authour was just being nice :wink: )

Even though it's a 'The Pope's a Catholic' annoucement, it's sure to have the leftie Hand-wringers whinging about the damage to needy African charites. Personally I don't touch 'African' (Read Comic relief, Live Aid/8, etc) charites as I feel that I'd rather support UK one's first.

Just look at how Zimbabwe's efficient and profitable agricultural industry was decimated by political wrong-doings (This time I'm being nice)

BBC News - Africa 'can feed itself in a generation'

No shit . . .

2. Yes, I saw that report, and when I finished laughing...
    Africa will definitely produce more food in the next few years. Just not for Africans. At present, cash-rich and land and water poor nations like the Gulf States, and China, are buying up huge estates to produce food for export back home. What I don't see is any real investment in key infrastructure items-And by that I mean roads and modern drainage and irrigation systems. Big ports to handle container ships full of grain exports don't really count.
    What will probably happen is that poor old Africa is going to get done over once again. The incomers will chuck vast quantities of pesticides and fertilisers all over the place, asset strip the land to bedrock, then piss off, leaving a polluted wasteland behind.

3. Bono and St Bob to stand down?

4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

What Hector said, and then some.....

5. Overseas aid - the mechanism by which poor people in rich countries give money to rich people in poor countries

6. Which is why it isnt likily to happen anytime soon.

7. I was watching a program the other day about Chinese investment in Africa. It's a new type of imperialism, except they just want the natural resources and will leave the politics in the hands of the despots/nutters/thieves that currently hold power.

Poverty > mediocre structural investment > Vast wealth for the political elite > Assets stripped > Dimished Investment > Poverty
    (In a simplistic way)

8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if america and the eu stopped flooding the market with subsidised food they could do so sooner, its cheaper to buy a tin of eu tomatoes in nairobi than it is to buy fresh grown up the road a bit.

9. rampant

They learned well from the "informal imperialism" that marked China's history from 1839/40 onwards, where we, the French, the Germans, the Americans all had seperate spheres of influence within China yet only insofar as it allowed us to extract the goods and resources we required, rather than invest properly. An interesting comparison to make is Railway devolpment in 19th Century China with that in India or Africa.

10. Really, it's a very OLD style of Imperialism-Very similar to how the Spanish and Portuguese ran their South American possessions.-Purely for profit, and off the backs of poor black labourers. The only difference here is that the Spanish did at least impose some form of government whereas the modern version simply hires the local Establishment to act as slave masters.

11. Here we go. It never takes long,in Africa for some squinty-eyed wonk with the Imperialist chip on their shoulder to begin trotting out History-to-be-ashamed-of. The present day Wabenzis** love it as it keeps your kind Aunt's pounds rolling in to fund their life-styles. (This view, of course, identifies me as a racist)

** People of the Mercedes Benz.

12. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

they dont need colonial overlords as the imf did more damage than european overlords ever could, did anyone read the reports sent ot the UN a few years back calling for a re colonisation of africa by anglo saxon countries (namely america) to stabilise and decorrupt the governments

13. Africa, feed itself......
    Yeh right. The savages at the top of the African heap will never have the slightest interest in the welfare of the savages at the bottom of the African heap.
    Pick just about any African country and take a look at its recent history, welfare of the people never comes into it. Even the inhabitants of the Rainbow Nation aren't any better off than they were under Apartheid and do you really want to look at Zimbabwe or the DRC?

14. Happy with that line - while there's an undernourished kiddy in Bedminster, what purpose am I really serving in sending aid to Africa? Other of course than expiating post-imperial guilt or offering a cop out to governments who like some of the trappings of statehood - jets, uniforms, tamks - but aren't so keen on education, hospitals and farming.

15. rampant

No it just marks you as an idiot, anyone familiar with my posts on Imperialism and British Imperialism in particular, would know that I feel that on the whole we were fairly benign, however that does not mean we weren't atrociously behaved in many instances, nor does it mean we were perfect. A reasoned critique of Imperialism is not "History-to-be-ashamed-of" it's a way of learning to improve praxis and policy today and in the future to mitigate the excesses of mis-rule by whatever goverment is in power.