Shock horror: Too many Army Officers privately educated

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That said, when we destroyed the bar, it was pleasingly cheap to repair.
Another advantage of private schooling is the ability to have such antics labelled high jinks rather than the shear vandalism that is the result of a public education. :biggrin:

Do you think the 11+ and grammar schools should be brought back?
No.
Instead bring back vocatinal/technical courses and sixth forms to the schools.

The current setup of discrete sixth form colleges having A level and vocational post-16, and FE colleges running vocational 14-16 courses is bollox and expensive, very expensive bollox.

Put the six formers back into mainstream schools and you nail most of the discipline problems from the lower school. But wtf do I know?

Then sack all the high-mucky-mucks in the Dept of Ed that spend their careers designing new schemes for each new sec. of state to "improve" learning (statistics) and then simultaneously destroying the previous sec. of state's shiny, shiny scheme that was the best thing since sliced bread.

Take politics out of education (and health and policing) because it takes 20 years for any educational system to bed in properly. Sadly, politicians, being useless tw@ts, are not the right people to run education. Blunkett, Clarke, Morris, Balls...FFS! The creme de la crème, anyone?

A lot, I’d wager. And all will have gone to Russell Group varsities if not Oxbridge.
The BBC don't think you can be funny these days unless they have 'discovered' you in the Cambridge Footlights Revue. That's why we are saddled with unfunny tw@s like Armstrong, his appalling mate Osman and Sue Perkins. The chances of another Ken Dodd or Morecombe and Wise being employed by the BBC are extremely remote.

The BBC don't think you can be funny these days unless they have 'discovered' you in the Cambridge Footlights Revue. That's why we are saddled with unfunny tw@s like Armstrong, his appalling mate Osman and Sue Perkins. The chances of another Ken Dodd or Morecombe and Wise being employed by the BBC are extremely remote.
Good, because the latter three were ‘of their time’ and are not really funny these days.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No.
Instead bring back vocatinal/technical courses and sixth forms to the schools.

The current setup of discrete sixth form colleges having A level and vocational post-16, and FE colleges running vocational 14-16 courses is bollox and expensive, very expensive bollox.

Put the six formers back into mainstream schools and you nail most of the discipline problems from the lower school. But wtf do I know?

Then sack all the high-mucky-mucks in the Dept of Ed that spend their careers designing new schemes for each new sec. of state to "improve" learning (statistics) and then simultaneously destroying the previous sec. of state's shiny, shiny scheme that was the best thing since sliced bread.

Take politics out of education (and health and policing) because it takes 20 years for any educational system to bed in properly. Sadly, politicians, being useless tw@ts, are not the right people to run education. Blunkett, Clarke, Morris, Balls...FFS! The creme de la crème, anyone?
We don't have separate 6th form colleges in Scotland, the 6th formers are in the mainstream schools, not sure that they have any positive affect on discipline.

While I was in, the Corps commissioned a murderous gypsy and a successful (money maker) bare knuckle fighter called Sue who had a sideline in the BDSM party scene, full body tatts and and one point purple hair

Murderous gypsy commissioned and transferred to the Blue Navy, I believe Sue is still in
Sounds remarkably similar to my old mate Katie.

I'm attending a dinner time lunch time session on "accents and perceptions; do you judge others as less intelligent because of their regional or class accent?"

The company I work for has 16k staff, 12k are grad, post grad or higher.

I'm immensely looking forward to questioning the assumption in the title. "You", it seems are not someone with a regional or class accent that could lead to a perception....

I'll take my Northern English accent along and courteously explain that, as I'm from Chester and Chester is quite literally the city where England became a nation, mine is the proper manner in which to speak and the artificial gruntings from the unloved boarding school emotional retards are deviations.

Naturally I will further explain how we State school Northerers are entirely free of bias.

Well.

What an interesting session it was.

Points illustrated by the entirely unrelated meeting at the FCO where I hobnobbbed with Alan Duncan and a bunch of Colombian investors to Uk/UK investors to Colombia.

Yes I was on guard.

The FCO it seems use our tax money to provide exceptional hors d'oeuvres and little nibbles and shed loads of wine; I'll let them fade.

Different thread on the accent thing, Mod?

Except of course the people who got rid of the grammar schools, who told the young they needed an expensive university education, who got us into two disasterous wars, who sold off our bullion at rock bottom prices, who ignored good advice that RBS was going a bank too far were which party.
A clue, in 1966 a NCB slagheap poured into a school in Wales killing more than 20 children (I could google the details but can't be bothered), as a result the public raised a large amount of money to help the bereaved in their need.
Harold Wilson gave that money to the NCB to help pay for the clear up.
Now which party is the criminal in all of these cases?
Yes, the surviving children got a pittance from the little that was left

Except of course the people who got rid of the grammar schools, who told the young they needed an expensive university education, who got us into two disasterous wars, who sold off our bullion at rock bottom prices, who ignored good advice that RBS was going a bank too far were which party.
A clue, in 1966 a NCB slagheap poured into a school in Wales killing more than 20 children (I could google the details but can't be bothered), as a result the public raised a large amount of money to help the bereaved in their need.
Harold Wilson gave that money to the NCB to help pay for the clear up.
Now which party is the criminal in all of these cases?
The same Party that shewed their concern for underage working class girls by ignoring the rape & sex trafficking gangs that were exploiting them because "the did not want to appear racist."

Its different because of the rank, not because you dress comfortably.

Most Messes only survive because no RSM/CO wants to be the first to close theirs. They had a role in the past, nowadays the majority of them are just something we have because we always have done.
So just rope off areas of the NAAFI with signs saying " Officers only " and " " SNCO's Only " ?

So just rope off areas of the NAAFI with signs saying " Officers only " and " " SNCO's Only " ?
You seem to be under the impression that people use the NAAFI?

Lucky Scotland. And you still have your own ed. system too.
But surely that just means the sixth formers do A levels (Highers in Scotland). What about other types of courses such as BTEC, vocational courses, things like what used to be HND? Who caters for them? What about those who want a change from the toxic school environment?

But surely that just means the sixth formers do A levels (Highers in Scotland). What about other types of courses such as BTEC, vocational courses, things like what used to be HND? Who caters for them? What about those who want a change from the toxic school environment?
I've taught BTEC, GNVQ, even CLAIT courses alongside GCSE and A level in schools or rather I once did.

HND is a post-18 course and not taught in schools or sixth form colleges.