Shock horror: Too many Army Officers privately educated

My point. But the politics of jealousy intrude.
I agree, but that’s one side of the coin, the other being (and perpetuated on this thread) that public school is open to anyone if their parents are determined enough.

Simply not true, unless you believe the Daily Mail. Many hard working people would never be able to afford it. Their kids may work hard at school and they may be fully supportive. But those kids will still be starting the 400m race 200m behind the ‘privileged’ kid with the same ethos.

That’s not jealousy, that’s just pointing out the obvious :)

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I agree, but that’s one side of the coin, the other being (and perpetuated on this thread) that public school is open to anyone if their parents are determined enough.

Simply not true, unless you believe the Daily Mail. Many hard working people would never be able to afford it. Their kids may work hard at school and they may be fully supportive. But those kids will still be starting the 400m race 200m behind the ‘privileged’ kid with the same ethos.

Aye, but the philopshy at the moment is to disadvantage the kid with the head-start. All good, if everyone gets a turnip at Christmas. Less good if you want a world-beating society and economy which does best whosoever that's arrived at.

A bigger tax take of a bigger pot is a win-win.

Aye, but the philopshy at the moment is to disadvantage the kid with the head-start. All good, if everyone gets a turnip at Christmas. Less good if you want a world-beating society and economy which does best whosoever that's arrived at.

A bigger tax take of a bigger pot is a win-win.
Again I agree and that is the politics of jealousy.

Old-Salt
Why did they bin potential officer enlistments (I forget what they were really called) pre-RCB & RCB?
Was that the 'S' type engagement?
ETA: I see Halloumikid beat me to it, but I think both were options but with slightly different terms. I was an S type.

Last edited:
What is the state of play regarding other ranks recruitment? Has the well oiled machine that was Capita been superseded yet?
Q4 last year was the best quarter since the start of the contract and Q1 this year has maintained that improvement. Considering we were utterly atrocious pre contract (but we don’t talk about that).

One of the main reasons for the better results is that DRS is now functions better. For those that don’t know, that’s the computer system that the Army should have supplied in the first year of the contract but failed and Capita did at the start of 2018 instead.

But let’s blame the ‘well oiled machine’, it couldn’t be the Army’s fault :)

Be the Best ^~

halloumikid

Old-Salt
Q4 last year was the best quarter since the start of the contract and Q1 this year has maintained that improvement. Considering we were utterly atrocious pre contract (but we don’t talk about that).

One of the main reasons for the better results is that DRS is now functions better. For those that don’t know, that’s the computer system that the Army should have supplied in the first year of the contract but failed and Capita did at the start of 2018 instead.

But let’s blame the ‘well oiled machine’, it couldn’t be the Army’s fault :)

Be the Best ^~
Your bit of DRS may be good, but my bit.........

Public schools are affordable to a lot of parents though, not just the rich.
It costs (for cheap boarding schools) 11 to 12K a year per kid. Chinning your kid off allows both parents to work and you don't have costs of having the little ****** in your home.

The_Duke

LE
It costs (for cheap boarding schools) 11 to 12K a year per kid. Chinning your kid off allows both parents to work and you don't have costs of having the little ****** in your home.
I am not sure about those figures.

9 year old’s day prep school is around £16k, 13 year old’s high school (day pupil) nearer £20k.

Both good but not big names. Boarding would add the sort of figures you talk about, not the price including boarding.

That means £11k to £12 per term, not per year.

Not quite true because you miss a factor: application rate.

If 1 and 2 are correct then you'd expect the same success rate at AOSB, but you'd only expect the ratio of officers commissioning to match the general population if the application rate also matched the population ratio.

It's exactly the same argument that comes up occasionally about Oxbridge - the success rate after applying is roughly even irrespective of background, but a disproportionate number of people from private schools apply. Like Oxbridge, the Army needs to find a way to get state educated kids realising that becoming an army officer is ‘a desirable career’.
Is what you mean to say.

9 year old’s day prep school is around £16k, 13 year old’s high school (day pupil) nearer £20k.

Both good but not big names. Boarding would add the sort of figures you talk about, not the price including boarding.

State boarding schools are about 3.5k to 4k a term I checked before I posted.

anglo

LE

This is where Grammar schools helped to bridge the gap

£11-12k is affordable? That's approx £15kish before stoppages. If one parent works full-time min wage, that leaves the parent £2k to live on.

Out of this world just how affordable that is. But, hey, most "state" education schools are private now. School fees for all coming your way soon. One nation conservatism a la Osbourne)Hammond at it's best, milking the tax payer for the benefit of their chums. Thatcher would not be proud.

anglo

LE

My daughter works at a boarding school the fees are £12K / £13k term plus extras
like trips out etc

Latest Threads