Shock horror: Too many Army Officers privately educated

Then do the correct thing, bin them,.....simples...lead by example.
Who is going to bin people in time of a retention and recruiting crisis?

Replying to several posts above, we are not struggling recruiting officers at the moment, RMAS intakes have been pretty much full for well over a year now and the last intake was loaded to over capacity.

We now need Indians so a well manned officer Corps have more than a couple each to f*ck about ^~

How many of the new full intakes are home grown, and not from foriegn shores?

Whats the retention rate of your Corps?
Absolutely shite, anyone technical soon gets put back in their box when try to get involved and they then realise it was all a lie, there is no technical career. So looking at it, we’re probably the same as you.

Replying to several posts above, we are not struggling recruiting officers at the moment, RMAS intakes have been pretty much full for well over a year now and the last intake was loaded to over capacity.
Wasnt that at the same time that some new qualification has been introduced is you pass out of Sandhurst?

How the **** did you slip through the net?
LE’s don’t go anywhere near Westbury, still have to prove your a ‘good egg’ and read the right newspapers and have proper! hobbies on individual Corps Selection Boards though.

I just bluffed that bit ^~

A lot of private schools dont cater to the rich, they cater to parents who sacrifice fags, booze and foreign holidays.

Do you suggest that people shouldnt be given the choice how to spend their money.
My sister and her husband gave up all that and more to send their two boys to the top private school in the area. It's paid off in that the boys are polite, hard working, well mannered and fit easily into any social group. They're also achievers who are under no illusions as to what it's cost to give them a good grounding, and are therefore not prone to wasting time and money pissing about at university.

Both are active sportsmen and it's a bit intimidating going round to the sister for their birthdays or other celebrations and running into Springbok/Protea rugby and cricket players they were at school with and competed against.

We now need Indians so a well manned officer Corps have more than a couple each to f*ck about ^~

Isn't that the Snco's and badges job?

For me it was back in a hundred and frozen to death but I found it much the same when I joined Harrogate as an apprentice. Those who had been cadets, boarders and/or been encouraged to join scouts etc slotted right in. Those who had been cossetted at home not so well. I know it's not officer related but the principle is sound.
I think this dynamic is under-recognised. I went to a truly dire public school in the late 80s and early 90s, there is a queue of ex-teachers going through the courts at the moment. Last week the chaplain got 12 years for child abuse, last year my history teacher got 18 for rape.

Academically sound, the place was however like Lord Of The Flies. My point is that after the foulness of Christ’s Hospital School, Sandhurst was never going to be a remotely unpleasant experience for me, nor did it hold any fear. I’d suggest this also contributes - if fractionally - to the higher number of public school attendees at RMAS?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
LE’s don’t go anywhere near Westbury, still have to prove your a ‘good egg’ and read the right newspapers and have proper! hobbies on individual Corps Selection Boards though.

I just bluffed that bit ^~
Of course, had you been telling the truth there is no way you would have passed selection! :safe:

I don’t think it has (seen the end of days). Kids grow up now reading Harry Potter, the central premise of which is that everyone who matters all went to boarding school together. Everyone else is a pleb, with a made-up word for it. The class system is ingrained at an early age, and people love it.

It's been like that for ever. Enid Blyton was it in the 20th C; check the speech patterns of Golliwogs/Goblins in the text and indeed in the TV series.... BBC was it? "Rough" Southern accents for them, semi educated but polite PC Plod and plummy Noddy and his equals.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I don’t think it’s anyone’s fault, it’s just a fact of life.

Lots of people want the best for their family and some don’t, some can afford to pay for the privilege and some can’t and there are good and bad across the social spectrum.

Some rich people pay for their kids to go to public school for more focused education, some because that’s just what has always happened and some to dump them and get them from under their feet.

Some poor people support their kids the best they can in their state education, some because that’s just what has always happened and some to dump them and get them from under their feet.

In general privately educated people will get a head start because that’s the way it is. But there are those who excel and those who don’t from all parts of the spectrum.

That’s life, as the saying goes ^~
My point. But the politics of jealousy intrude.

In order:

The first paragraph is a lie. You haven't seen people turned down from becoming an officer due to their accent.

There are no regiments with mess bills higher than their salary and there hasn't been for decades. HCR mess bills are low compared to other cavalry regiments, but even the units with the largest bills are completely affordable on an army salary.

Yes, anyone can get into any unit. Every cavalry unit has multiple state educated mess members. The HCR actually have more than many others, including at least one ex-ranker.
I only ever knew one scouser officer. He was a LtCmdr.
He was fecking nails too. Hardest PWO
I ever knew.

I think this dynamic is under-recognised. I went to a truly dire public school in the late 80s and early 90s, there is a queue of ex-teachers going through the courts at the moment. Last week the chaplain got 12 years for child abuse, last year my history teacher got 18 for rape.

Academically sound, the place was however like Lord Of The Flies. My point is that after the foulness of Christ’s Hospital School, Sandhurst was never going to be a remotely unpleasant experience for me, nor did it hold any fear. I’d suggest this also contributes - if fractionally - to the higher number of public school attendees at RMAS?
Just like Old Etonians who go to prison get on immediately with the regime?

Latest Threads