Shock horror: Too many Army Officers privately educated

If 1) a state comp is as good as public school and 2) the army wants the best people then 3) the ratio would match the general population. 3 isn’t true so either or both of 1 and 2 can’t be true.
I suspect that 3 is true if you look at the educational requirements. Sandhurst requires 72 UCAS points which is roughly equivalent to 3 A levels. That means the people that leave education with GCSEs and go on to become sparkies, plumbers etc. effectively don't count as they are not eligible.

Compare the number of school leavers with 3 decent A levels from state and public schools and I reckon they would be fairly similar.

'Guardianista' refers to the type of liberal lefty idiot who reads the rag known as The Guardian. It has nothing to do with the people who work for the newspaper.
Cheers, it was an attempt at humour, which obviously failed.

I suspect that 3 is true if you look at the educational requirements. Sandhurst requires 72 UCAS points which is roughly equivalent to 3 A levels. That means the people that leave education with GCSEs and go on to become sparkies, plumbers etc. effectively don't count as they are not eligible.

Compare the number of school leavers with 3 decent A levels from state and public schools and I reckon they would be fairly similar.

72 UCAS points = D D D. Hardly stellar stuff. The UCAS points get you across the threshold and into the system to get you assessed. Interestingly, serving soldiers only require 5 X GCSEs, or at a push, an assessment at ASE. (L2 maths and English.)

Educational attainment alone, or the ‘right public school’ will not get you through AOSB. Potential will.

Those who have been to public school are often more confident. That matters less as the week progresses, as people’s true character emerges.

{Edited for poor spelling.}

Halloumikd.

72 UCAS points = D D D. Hardly stellar stuff. The UCAS points get you across the threshold and into the system to get you assessed. Interestingly, serving soldiers only require 5 X GCSEs, or at a push, an assessment at ASE. (L2 maths and English.)

Educational attainment alone, or the ‘right public school’ will not get you through AOSB. Potential will.

Those who have been to public school are often more confident. That matters less as the week progresses, as people’s true character emerges.

Halloumikd.
And of course the subjective opinions of the assessors ensuring that the candidates are the right sort of chap (chapess) and ‘cut from the right cloth’ ^~

Not fair or true in my experience. I had the pleasure to meet or work for at least a half dozen tip-top officers in the Corps who would have more than held their own in a line infantry regiment.

However I agree we also had more than our fair share of useless Ruperts.

In my experience only a third were decent, the rest were luke warm leftovers that the factory should never have commissioned but this was in the mid 70 - 80s when the Army was short of bodies. Not that's ever not been true but we had an armoured Army back then not the one div and a big bit that's the modern Kate.

Plus ca change.... M'eh.

And of course the subjective opinions of the assessors ensuring that the candidates are the right sort of chap (chapess) and ‘cut from the right cloth’ ^~
How the **** did you slip through the net?

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If 1) a state comp is as good as public school and 2) the army wants the best people then 3) the ratio would match the general population. 3 isn’t true so either or both of 1 and 2 can’t be true.
Not quite true because you miss a factor: application rate.

If 1 and 2 are correct then you'd expect the same success rate at AOSB, but you'd only expect the ratio of officers commissioning to match the general population if the application rate also matched the population ratio.

It's exactly the same argument that comes up occasionally about Oxbridge - the success rate after applying is roughly even irrespective of background, but a disproportionate number of people from private schools apply. Like Oxbridge, the Army needs to find a way to get state educated kids realising that becoming an army officer is an achievable career.

Halloumikd.
Why did they bin potential officer enlistments (I forget what they were really called) pre-RCB & RCB?

Like Oxbridge, the Army needs to find a way to get state educated kids realising that becoming an army officer is an achievable career.
Its struggling to get kids to join up as soldiers never mind officers.

This is my understanding. Kids and young adults would seem more likely to try their luck with reality tv than a commission.
Its more likely, that its a bit **** being in the Army nowadays.

This is my understanding. Kids and young adults would seem more likely to try their luck with reality tv than a commission.
Reality TV, with the winners getting a commission then?

(or the losers depending how many we need)

Define sh1t? It goes with the oath. Not having a pop.
Whats special about it compared to the opportunities of the past?

One of my officers who fucked off at his five year point to work for a supermarket was saying just about every one left in his intake will make Major at their first look because everyone else has bugged out.

Most of my younger decent officers are looking at getting out, unfortunately, those I would deem as spastics with no care for their soldiers welfare look like they are staying.

Last edited:
Whats special about it compared to the opportunities of the past?

One of my officers who fucked off at his five year point to work for a supermarket was saying just about every left in his intake will make Major at their first look because everyone else has bugged out.

Most of my younger decent officers are looking at getting out, unfortunately, those I would deem as spastics with no care for their soldiers welfare look like they are staying.
I think that’s an RLC issue. What does your Corps offer Officers? It’s the same as ours where the blokes do all the work, planning and management however we can lie to ours and lure them in with a career in Cyber.

I think that’s an RLC issue. What does your Corps offer Officers? It’s the same as ours where the blokes do all the work, planning and management however we can lie to ours and lure them in with a career in Cyber.
Whats the retention rate of your Corps?

I remember one episode of Have I Got News For You when a panelist was reluctant to admit he was an ex public schoolboy, and the Tory peer on the opposite team was asked what school he want to and replied such and such Grammar.

However - as @Fang_Farrier points out, kids at public school get opportunities beyond the curriculum to help them grow and develop their personality. I suspect learned helplessness is major problem as kids will not have had the chance to try things, or to be supported if they do. The 'too cool for school' types will snipe constantly.

Not all kids are sporty - why should childhood sporting ability be a determinant for someone's life chances? This brings me to another point. Cliques not only potentially cause serious failings to be overlooked, such as when my school opted to give a violent bully leeway because he was good enough for the sports teams.

Replying to several posts above, we are not struggling recruiting officers at the moment, RMAS intakes have been pretty much full for well over a year now and the last intake was loaded to over capacity.

We now need Indians so a well manned officer Corps have more than a couple each to f*ck about ^~