Shock horror: Too many Army Officers privately educated

I don’t think it has (seen the end of days). Kids grow up now reading Harry Potter, the central premise of which is that everyone who matters all went to boarding school together. Everyone else is a pleb, with a made-up word for it. The class system is ingrained at an early age, and people love it.
Andrew Mitchell walt

i don't think he meant the stewards.
Nor did I, and I speak as someone who has been dicked for being a mess waiter and later being an officer in the same regiment.

ugly

LE
Rather than assess the number of MPs who went to public school surely the amount of PMS of any party that didn't would be more interesting! Grammar schools are still state schools!

More LGBT required. The diversity policy needs looking at

BL made shit cars at high cost due to a number of factors.

Design by committee seldom works.

Weak management who allowed themselves to be bullied by trade union wank3rs.

Workers late and or unfit to work couldn't be sacked because open forum voting on strike action always favoured the union.

Multiple, endless tea breaks were subject to the same conditions, as was the practice of night shift 'workers' taking in doss bags for a bit of paid gonk.

But don't let that mist up those rose tinted specs.
I’m All Right Jack may be sixty years old, but it neatly covers all your points and is a pretty accurate reflection of mid-20th century British social/industrial history, with attitudes and practices that were alive and well a good twenty years later (when Thatcher tackled them head-on) and that linger to this day, as people like Len McCluskey could well confirm.

It’s also a highly amusing and well-acted film that, if I had my way, would be required viewing in secondary schools. Fat chance of that, though, with the Marxist/Corbynist yoke of too many of today’s ‘teachers’ hanging round the poor kids’ necks.

Rubbish. We has a bloke whose barrack dress was entirely pink as far back as the mid-80s. ;-)
but there are quotas now. It needs to be at the 50% mark

How does The Guardian, a small newspaper, keep recruiting enough people to constantly supply The BBC with all its staff?

Turnover must be horrendous.
'Guardianista' refers to the type of liberal lefty idiot who reads the rag known as The Guardian. It has nothing to do with the people who work for the newspaper.

What a load of old shit. there are plenty of millionaires who grew up poor. Part of the reason they are millionaires is because they didn't sit around whining about rich people.
As for the Freemasons I bet you know Jack shit about them but that won't stop your jealous made up stories about them will it?

Keep taking the angst and furious tablets, happy to see you are on the case, and as predictive as ever. have a happy life.:hug:

All part of the outdated class system. To be an officer should be something everybody has an equal opportunity to be work towards, nobody should join as an officer. Once you've done a few years and proved yourself as a soldier, shown leadership capabilities and have the smarts then you can branch out and go down the officer route should you wish to.

Who cares if mummy and daddy sent them to private school, preparing them to learn how to hold a knife and fork at sandhurst.

The_Duke

LE
All part of the outdated class system. To be an officer should be something everybody has an equal opportunity to be work towards, nobody should join as an officer. Once you've done a few years and proved yourself as a soldier, shown leadership capabilities and have the smarts then you can branch out and go down the officer route should you wish to.

Who cares if mummy and daddy sent them to private school, preparing them to learn how to hold a knife and fork at sandhurst.
Everyone does have the same opportunity to work towards being an officer. They just need to meet the educational minimum standards and pass the entry criteria.

Everyone does have the same opportunity to work towards being an officer. They just need to meet the educational minimum standards and pass the entry criteria.
Agreed, though some of the qualities looked for may be more prevalent in those from a public school due to available funds. Going with the herd as a compo kid probably means PlayStation action not travel or D of E. I get it’s not black and white but opportunity is less with state education children

The_Duke

LE
Delete D of E, insert Scouts, or ACF, or the local rugby, football, cricket or tennis club.

It is all there. Whether they see it at the time is up to them and their families.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
When you go to the Doctor, would you complain if he or she was privately educated, came from a good family , had good connections ??
nope
is he or shes qualified and skilled to do the very hard very skilled job ?
Perhaps our public schools and minor schools better prepare young people for the responsibility of holding rank ?