Shock, A major problem.

There may already be a thread on this, but I'll start a new one.

How is the best way of dealing with some one who is in major shock, the usuals I know, keep warm keep talking etc etc, but what if the person keeps getting flashbacks, feels down afterwards? Should someone interviene or should it just take its course and having someone to stand by for support?

hope that made sense

healer

This is not my field however,
Sounds like some form of PTSD. What’s you location, if in the UK I would suggest referral to the SMO who in turn can refer the person to the local psychiatric team either community or Priory. If you’re on ops then there should be a psychiatric team at the local field hospital.

Whilst you are waiting for the referral don’t ignore the patient but again don’t push questions or expect answers, let them know that your are around and will listen. Make a note of what is said and place this with the med docs, most importantly don’t promise anything as you may not be able to keep it and that will break the trust that has been formed.

Worm

Luckily it is in the Uk. Would it really have to go as far as a psychiatric unit? The individual is walking and talking normally enough, just complains of flashbacks and tension

As I sated this is not my area, but if it was me having the flash backs I would want some help from the experts. The SMO will have the relevant details and will be able to make the best judgment, be it in house or with the relevant local health authority.

You could also think about pointing the person in the direction of the Padre even if the person is a non-believer / wrong religion. They are always a good listener, will fight your corner and have influence with the chain of command (gaining leave, time off, change of duties).

Worm

thegimp said:
A strange question from one with that cap badge, if thats your trade you should be vaguely up to speed with this subject!!
I think that she is TA (for about a year)

The Other Half
Healer said:
I was speaking to my friends in college about how they'd feel and I was almost horrified by how they didn't seem to care. This was one of the things that I considered before I joined up
Healer said:
Nothing could put me off a career in the Army even that niggle, but my thoughts are with all those who are out there and all those left behind
Just TA
Healer said:
Hey all, got my Army number tonight!
Healer said:
now I just have to look forward to that lump sum
in it for the love of the job?

So as a TA medic with approx 1 year in, chances are she isnt up to speed with very much military or medical. (no offence Healer!)

yes I am TA for my sins, want to get college and (hopefully) med school out of the way and I want to join the Army as a doctor. And yes I have just joined up, dont worry, I'm not a brainless CMT, just a new one ;)

Oh the individual concerned is also a TA soldier BTW.

Back to the initial question, how soon after the event are the flash backs etc happening? If the event occured recently then it is normal to have flash backs, nightmares etc. If you want any more info please PM me.

Sluice

The apparantly the falsh backs have calmed right down now, but they started happening about two days after the event. I think this individual was just hit by the unexpectedness of it all.

But thanks to all who have given advice, it's nice to know there are people who know what they're talking about!

healer

healer said:
The apparantly the falsh backs have calmed right down now, but they started happening about two days after the event. I think this individual was just hit by the unexpectedness of it all.

But thanks to all who have given advice, it's nice to know there are people who know what they're talking about!

healer
Missed this one or I would have commented earlier. I agree with SD. Some psychological disturbance and distress in the immediate aftermath of traumatic events is quite common and, to some extent, to be expected. In most people it will settle in time without the need for formal mental health intervention. People should seek help if the symptoms become disabling e.g. cant work or live a relatively normal day to day life, drinking too much, getting into arguments, fights, etc. The exact path that the person needs to take to seek assistance depends on their service status e.g. regular, reservist, retired.

If you are in a TA unit, it's likely you'll have a few MH Nurses on the books who would be able to provide informal advice.

Latest Threads