Shock £1million MoD spree revealed... days before 4,000 jobs get the axe

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CigarIsland, Jan 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. PEN-pushers at the Ministry of Defence have squandered nearly £1million of taxpayers' cash on jewellery, eating out, cosmetics and an amusement park trip.

The spree is exposed days before ministers axe another 4,000 Armed Forces heroes to save money.

Official MoD figures lay bare the extraordinary amounts being spent on Government credit cards.

They include a bizarre bill for £8,769 on five "jewellery store" visits.

Another £6,012 was lavished on only two trips to cosmetics shops.

The figures, which give no precise details about what the money was spent on, were uncovered by Shadow Treasury Chief Secretary Rachel Reeves.

The Labour MP said: "I have been shocked. Why isn't the PM checking where hard-earned taxpayers' money is spent?" MoD staff forked out more than £200,000 on eating out last year, including a bill in October for £8,400 and another in July for £4,980. And £37,545 went on "entertainment and hospitality".

A £48,000 tab was run up in bars, pubs and nightclubs, topped up by £2,233 of purchases at off-licences.

Nearly £24,000 was spent in toy and game shops. Tens of thousands more went on one-off events — with posh caterer Carte Blanche being paid £33,910 in May.

Story continues below graphic

Splurge ... MoD spending
    Splurge ... MoD spending
    A couple of months later the MoD spent £34,322 promoting art exhibitions. Just TWO cinema trips cost £2,004 and £1,260 was spent on a couple of days out at a bowling alley.

More than £100,000 was splurged on laundry and dry-cleaning, plus £1,757 at children's clothes shops.

The figures emerged as the Army is poised this Tuesday to announce around 2,000 redundancies, with the Gurkhas expected to be hardest hit.

The Royal Navy and RAF will unveil plans to lose around 1,000 personnel each in the latest stage of plans to cut armed forces numbers by around 17,000 by 2015.

An MoD source said of the staff bills: "Unlike the last Government, we are publishing data so people can see what the military and civil service have spent money on."

The source added that some restaurant tabs include payments for staff staying in hotels for several nights.

The £1,050 on an "amusement park" trip was for army recruits to go go-karting — and some of the toys and games were for schools for service children.

The MoD said: "The vast majority of these items are necessary purchases by military personnel and civilians while on duty in the UK and abroad

As the saying goes you couldn't make it up, I wonder how much has been wasted on precurement and wining and dining the likes of BAE.

2. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

3. *cringe*

Drop in the ocean compared to MPs' expenses etc anyway.

4. Sounds like a good admin system they have to me, here you risk a bollocking just by claiming relocation allowance.

5. A whole £1,000,000? They probably could have reduced redundancies of us 'heroes' by about four with that kind of extra cash.

Of course, then the kids in the Army school would have had to do without new toys, the recruits wouldn't have got a day of down time during their hero preparation and MOD employees would have had to pay for their own hotels while away on MOD business but it's a small price to retain as many as five or six extra heroes.

• Like Like x 2
  6. The spin doctors have spun quite proper spending to "sound" shocking.

There is nothing wrong with the spending.

7. Another saying goes..... "It's better to keep shtumm and be thought off as an idiot, rather than to open your mouth and confirm the fact".

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cigar Island. Where did you get this fictitious story from?

Citation please?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gizzus a link then cuntflaps!

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'm ****ing outraged so I am! Bloody kids ripping off 'our heros'!!!!!!

"……
    An MoD source said of the staff bills: "Unlike the last Government, we are publishing data so people can see what the military and civil service have spent money on."

The source added that some restaurant tabs include payments for staff staying in hotels for several nights.

The £1,050 on an "amusement park" trip was for army recruits to go go-karting — and some of the toys and games were for schools for service children.

The MoD said: "The vast majority of these items are necessary purchases by military personnel and civilians while on duty in the UK and abroad
    ."……"

11. online reading through the sun amongst other's

12. Are you outraged at the treatment of 'our heros' by the 'pen pushers'?

13. what's wrong with toys for forces kids' school's? Trips for recruits? Functions etc. I think that's fine - I want visitors to our government departments to be impressed with as much power, opulence and gravitas as we can muster. Same for the royal family.
    I don't agree with the cutting-back of our regular forces, but that's no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.